MMR Engine Spun Bearing Already?!?!?!

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
Just finished installing my engine a few weeks ago and have been working on my brakes, installing a clutch, etc. I have only driven it in the neighborhood to check the brakes and clutch adjustment. I couldn't take it to get tuned or my state inspection yet because the brakes were not right. Anyhow, did the normal oil check, fired it up yesterday morning and it idled normal at first. Got out and went to bleed the rear brakes while running and it sounded like it stumbled for a second then started to shake real hard and idle rough. I got worried and shut it off. At this point I started to look over the entire engine for something to have come loose. Couldn't find anything so I decided to start it up to see if i could diagnose it, at this point when I started it, the car started knocking immediately like it did when I had to purchase the engine originally. I shut it off fast and will call MMR today to see what they think about it. I have no doubt of the sound and am NOT going to let it run while checking for sounds or pulling the coil packs individually because it will only cause further damage imo. Anyhow, just thought I would see thoughts from you guys on this while I await MMR to open for the day.

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
I'm sure MMR will take care of you. Any metal shavings in the oil?

I intend on draining the oil today and cutting open the filter. I plan on calling them and awaiting their instructions, which I am sure that will be one of them. I think it best to not do anything until they outline what they want me to do, to ensure I do get taken care of.

mach1033

Established Member
I spun my bearings last April and the knocking was ridiculous. Had shavings in my oil big time.

Blueline

Established Member
Damn bud that sucks. There was a thread about another memeber who bought an MMR motor and had a problem. MMR took care of him all the way, shipping and everything if I recall correctly. Im sure they are going to do right by you. Thats who Im prob. going to get my next motor from. Good luck bud :beer:

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
Spoke with MMR today and they assured me that their engines are spin tested prior to shipping out. I have to do a compression test, and check the plugs for damage and then call them back with results. They mentioned possible improper timing and asked if I cleaned all my parts before assembly. Hopefuly tommorow I can get the compression test done and check the plugs. Work and rain made it impossible for today.

mach1033

Established Member
Spoke with MMR today and they assured me that their engines are spin tested prior to shipping out. I have to do a compression test, and check the plugs for damage and then call them back with results. They mentioned possible improper timing and asked if I cleaned all my parts before assembly. Hopefuly tommorow I can get the compression test done and check the plugs. Work and rain made it impossible for today.

Ok so this is an MMR short block not a fully assembled motor that you just dropped in then correct?

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
Finally got to pull the plugs today and number 4 cyl sparkplug is smashed in and has scaring around the edges also. Compression test tommorow and I can report back to MMR.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Finally got to pull the plugs today and number 4 cyl sparkplug is smashed in and has scaring around the edges also. Compression test tommorow and I can report back to MMR.

thats not good... how did the spark plug get smashed in?

please keep this thread updated and post pics please

my92gt

Established Member
Damn and I was just thinking of having them build my longblock.... I've heard a couple of stories now gone wrong regarding their builds... Hope they take care of you as they will keep customers happy and potential customers, like me, to go back to them... definitely keep us posted on results...

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Sucks to hear, hopefully they take care of you. I have a shortblock from them and its been good so far.

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
Post a pic of the spark plug if you can.

IMAG00662.jpg

IMAG00652.jpg

IMAG00642.jpg

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
thats not good... how did the spark plug get smashed in?

please keep this thread updated and post pics please

I could not give you an accurate assessment just yet. There are only a few reasons this could happen, but speculation leads to accusations that are not warranted sometimes. Once the problem is diagnosed I will be sure to update this thread.

mach1033

Established Member
So the knocking you heard was actually the piston hitting the plug. I love engine detective work lol.

Users who are viewing this thread