MM IRS Bushings

harryman2002

Established Member
Whats up everyone, I am a frequent poster on mustangforums but never post here just read threads but I figured this would be a better place to post this question. I've got a GT with a cobra IRS swapped in and my bushings are pretty much done. I know that everyone says get FTBR bushings they are the best out there but I have an opportunity to get This: IRS Rear Grip Package - The Basics, 1999-04 Cobra [MMRG-20] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
and this: Urethane IRS Subframe Bushing Kit, 1999-04 [MMIRSU-1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
for a great price brand new.
Does anyone have any experience with MM's bushings or hear from other people who have them?
Let me know what you all think.
Thanks!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The naysayers out there will all jump on the bandwagon and say poly is "cheap", "junk", or "crap", but plenty of people, myself included, use the poly with positive results. The MM poly, compared to the Energy Suspension poly is noticeably stiffer and definitely not junk. My IRS articulates very smooth and has zero slop or endplay, and stays planted. On top of that, I have no wheel-hop and no increase in NVH. No regrets at all.

GodStang

Established Member
The naysayers out there will all jump on the bandwagon and say poly is "cheap", "junk", or "crap", but plenty of people, myself included, use the poly with positive results. The MM poly, compared to the Energy Suspension poly is noticeably stiffer and definitely not junk. My IRS articulates very smooth and has zero slop or endplay, and stays planted. On top of that, I have no wheel-hop and no increase in NVH. No regrets at all.

I am running poly in my IRS but picking up my MM K-member today with Delrin bushings so ya.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Broke7 (Allan) recently posted on Modfords that he removed his MM IRS poly bushings after 150 1/4 miles passes and they looked brand new. IMO no need to go ripping mine out, he doesn't exactly baby the car and runs 9's!!!

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I have the MM poly kit and wheel hop is greatly reduced, almost completely eliminated.

There still is wheel hop at times but it's really rare. They are a big improvement over stock. BTW I should mention I have the solid diff mounts from MM.

If the price is right I would go with it.

At some point in the future I will go with the FTB kit. I have been eying those for a long time.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
The poly is only used on the subframe bushings. The ones on the control arms where the most wheel hop derives from are delrin like FTBR. FTBR uses UHMV for his subframe if I remember correctly. I am speaking for the updated kit from MM. I have the complete kit and more for the rear and it's awesome.

See the whites are delrin(control arms) and reds are poly (subframe)
66bf71e0.gif

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You can still get the poly control arm bushings if you choose not to use the delrin. I believe the Prothane p/n is 6-311. Forgot to add that...

Additionally, MM still carries them. Keep in mind that the LCA's are a pain - you have to drill around the circumference of all the bushings just like the subframe bushings (the UCA bushings, however, will pop right out). I did find that the removal tool for the rear diff bushing worked for the LCA's as well as the subframe bushings - with the help of a map gas torch.

Still a great improvement...

Last edited:

Ukfox89

Established Member
i have a brand new set from lethal perfromance, the MM IRS bushign kit for sale. $40 plus shipping if anyones intrested. i bought them from lethal and never used them. has the 2 fron tbushings and one other one. its brand new still in box.

harryman2002

Established Member
Well thats all good to know, looks like Ill just go with the MM stuff since it's still got some good reviews too. The control arm bushings are delrin and the subframe are poly for those of you who were saying that they were poly.
Thanks for the info so far guys

TRBO VNM

You can still get the poly control arm bushings if you choose not to use the delrin. I believe the Prothane p/n is 6-311. Forgot to add that...

Additionally, MM still carries them. Keep in mind that the LCA's are a pain - you have to drill around the circumference of all the bushings just like the subframe bushings (the UCA bushings, however, will pop right out). I did find that the removal tool for the rear diff bushing worked for the LCA's as well as the subframe bushings - with the help of a map gas torch.

Still a great improvement...

Not sure what you are doing wrong, but I have NEVER drilled out the LCA bushings. I just use the removal tool and they come right out.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Well thats all good to know, looks like Ill just go with the MM stuff since it's still got some good reviews too. The control arm bushings are delrin and the subframe are poly for those of you who were saying that they were poly.
Thanks for the info so far guys

Yea I thought MM discontinued manufacturing poly for control arms. When I spoke with the owner of Maximum Motosports he stated they had unfortunate reviews with poly in the control arms. He said they would dry rot and have to much play. Compared to delrin where the shape is cut by a lathe and the material contains self lubricating properties.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Not sure what you are doing wrong, but I have NEVER drilled out the LCA bushings. I just use the removal tool and they come right out.

That is because the shell stays in. The rubber would not budge, so drilling around the inside of the shell - just like the IRS cradle - did the trick. I wouldn't say it is wrong, it was just the route I had to take since I didn't have a real press handy.

TRBO VNM

That is because the shell stays in. The rubber would not budge, so drilling around the inside of the shell - just like the IRS cradle - did the trick. I wouldn't say it is wrong, it was just the route I had to take since I didn't have a real press handy.

hmm, just interesting after all the ones I did and never had a problem. I am wondering if you used the correct tool. As long as you got it all out, that is what matters. Just a pita to deal with it like that.

Users who are viewing this thread