MM&FF goes 12.6 @ 112 mph

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Hmm, I'm thinking there is more too it than that. Like perhaps drag shocks for one as Evolution mentioned "tuning" or "dialing in" the suspension. There is little to no tunning to be done if its a stock suspension with aftermarket control arms. Unless maybe they are adjustable and they are playing with pinion angle?

I just think a 1.4 or 1.35 60' is asking an aweful lot for a street suspension compromised for ride and handling. Maybe I am wrong, but I think there are some suspension changes that have not been mentioned. Things like sway bars, shocks, and springs maybe.....

I was wondering that too, otherwise ford has made the most amaizing car ever and could produce it unchanged for the next 10 years

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I thought the guys running 10's had several suspension modifications as well?

450rwhp from exhaust and tune? Really? From what I have seen they are dynoing around 375-380rwhp stock. You can't honestly be expecting 70rwhp from just exhaust and tune can you......:??:

From what I understand, EVO's car is making 414rwhp currently with some type of CAI, cats removed, and a basic tune. So my thoughts are with the addition of L/T's and more time and creativity with tuning (since they have only had the car for about 2weeks), somewhere near 440-450 should be obtainable??

CGLhawk260

Established Member
I thought the guys running 10's had several suspension modifications as well?

450rwhp from exhaust and tune? Really? From what I have seen they are dynoing around 375-380rwhp stock. You can't honestly be expecting 70rwhp from just exhaust and tune can you......:??:

+1 !!! I agree

First off, I am very impressed with this car, but seriously, how many people are going to drive around with a NOS bottle in the truck of their car ? I had an LS1 Firehawk with full bolt ons … intake,catback off road y pipe, and LT headers/tune which increased the horsepower by 13% So, 365 and full bolt ons will put this car at 412-420. 420 This car will be an excellent 11 second bolt on car, if you want big HP numbers you will have to add a supercharger which will cost 5K + with fuel upgrades. Cams are expensive and NOS is not practical for the average Joe.

Formula51

Established Member
From what I understand, EVO's car is making 414rwhp currently with some type of CAI, cats removed, and a basic tune. So my thoughts are with the addition of L/T's and more time and creativity with tuning (since they have only had the car for about 2weeks), somewhere near 440-450 should be obtainable??

Maybe, I really don't know. I was more asking than telling. It certainly is asking a lot, but there have been factory engines where this is possible. The LS7 comes to mind. 70rwhp is a lot though. That's a healthy cam upgrade on most LSX Chevy's. I will be watching and learning. Thats for sure.:read:

RCRAMIE

Established Member
+1 !!! I agree

First off, I am very impressed with this car, but seriously, how many people are going to drive around with a NOS bottle in the truck of their car ? I had an LS1 Firehawk with full bolt ons … intake,catback off road y pipe, and LT headers/tune which increased the horsepower by 13% So, 365 and full bolt ons will put this car at 412-420. 420 This car will be an excellent 11 second bolt on car, if you want big HP numbers you will have to add a supercharger which will cost 5K + with fuel upgrades. Cams are expensive and NOS is not practical for the average Joe.

Evo got 412 with with a drop in filter x pipe and catback with just basic tunning.
How is nitrous less pratical than cams or supercharger or turbo it is more practical.

CGLhawk260

Established Member
I'll consider selling my car if the 11 GT consistently nets 70 rwhp from a tune/cai, and full exhaust(LT headers/x pipe and catback). Even with every bolt on under the sun ( under drive pulley, electric water pump and ported intake manifold )70 rwhp is a stretch. We'll see....

VictorySong

Established Member
I wish the 5.0 would have just demolished the 03/04 Cobras 1/4 mile ET, now we are going to have to listen to the bickering for years until Ford releases a new engine or lighter platform.

Impressive times for a stock car though!

CGLhawk260

Established Member
Evo got 412 with with a drop in filter x pipe and catback with just basic tunning.
How is nitrous less pratical than cams or supercharger or turbo it is more practical.
It's not on all the time ,illegal in some states, dangerous and you have to re fill your bottle. If you want NOS in your car the pleasure is all yours peace out.

RCRAMIE

Established Member
It's not on all the time ,illegal in some states, dangerous and you have to re fill your bottle. If you want NOS in your car the pleasure is all yours peace out.

Not on all the time is what makes it more pratical, like driving a pratcial stock car.
Illegal what ever reason you would have nitrous hooked up on your car on the street will also be illegal aka street racing.
The fact you think it is dangerous shows what you know of nitrous.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
I think this car will be able to manage 6-8lbs. boost no problem once the perf. shops are able to start fine tuning them.. 6lbs plus a 75 shot.... i think it could...

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Ehh, Challenger I agree with. The Camaro has put up some similar times in the hands of owners and gone a best stock of 12.58 so far. I don't think they have seen a 112mph trap speed though.

Remember, this is Evan Smith driving on a prepped track day rental. How many people beat his GT500 time? One, maybe?

Then again, he did only have a 2.0x 60' so I think a 12.5x is possible. Quite impressive indeed.

It would be cool to see this motivate GM to offer a lower rear gear option for the Camaro and then perhaps that in-turn would motivate Ford to bump the power and redline slightly in a year or two. Just wishful thinking probably though.

Formula, I knew you would chime in after I posted this. :beer:
I don't remember reading any mag road tests where the Camaro has gone 12.58s bonestock and certainly no 112 mph traps. :shrug: I think the fastest time I've seen from a mag test is a 13.0 or possibly a 12.9. :read:
Just wait till this new Mustang gets into the hands of a few owners. I think we will consistently see faster 1/4 mile times from the Mustang. :burnout:
Keep in mind that MM&FF ran at Gainesville Raceway (1500 feet corrected altitude), not thier regular home track - Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey, where they usually get their best times. They only ran the car twice with the stock tires with shitty 60-foot times. They did say that they could've gone 12.50s with more time on the stock tires. :burnout:
Didn't you read the cover that says "12 sec. Camaro crusher." :-D :poke:

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I don't remember reading any mag road tests where the Camaro has gone 12.58s bonestock and certainly no 112 mph traps. :shrug: I think the fastest time I've seen from a mag test is a 13.0 or possibly a 12.9. :read:
Just wait till this new Mustang gets into the hands of a few owners. I think we will consistently see faster 1/4 mile times from the Mustang. :burnout:
Keep in mind that MM&FF ran at Gainesville Raceway (1500 feet corrected altitude), not thier regular home track - Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey, where they usually get their best times. They only ran the car twice with the stock tires with shitty 60-foot times. They did say that they could've gone 12.50s with more time on the stock tires. :burnout:

It's a timeslip posted on the 5th gen Camaro forums, (12.58@110mph). They have a couple freak times in amazing conditions, but 99% of the fastest on that list trap 106-109mph with low 13s / high 12s ETs.

I didn't know MM&FF ran at 1500DA conditions on that 12.6 run. That's nuts! In negative DA freak conditions it could have been even more impressive. Another guy on here posted about a bone stock GT with 3.31s running 12.7s in 2300DA conditions with 21miles on the ODO.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/9686457-post10.html

Last edited:

BLK93GT

Established Member
Hmm, I'm thinking there is more too it than that. Like perhaps drag shocks for one as Evolution mentioned "tuning" or "dialing in" the suspension. There is little to no tunning to be done if its a stock suspension with aftermarket control arms. Unless maybe they are adjustable and they are playing with pinion angle?

I just think a 1.4 or 1.35 60' is asking an aweful lot for a street suspension compromised for ride and handling. Maybe I am wrong, but I think there are some suspension changes that have not been mentioned. Things like sway bars, shocks, and springs maybe.....

I have seen a GT500 with lowering springs and Tokico adjustables that had upper/lower arms, panhard bar get 1.4x 60ft times. You don't "need" a drag suspension with these cars it seems....

Formula51

Established Member

Hey, I go both ways....errrr....or something like that:beer:

Fastest mag test I have seen is 12.8 and there have been numerous mags trapping in the 110.x mph. I have seen 111mph from owners, but never a 112mph as I said. That is darn impressive.

Yep, I got all that. I am a MM&FF subscriber, so there! Saw it with my own eyes. See what you guys have done to me:rolling:

I do think the new GT will go faster, but likely not by much or by many. Yes, Evan didn't run in perfect conditions or spend loads of time, which means what, maybe 2% of owners have a chance at besting him, haha. He's a pretty darn impressive driver and typically runs on a prepped track at a closed track rental. I'm still wanting to see what he runs in a bone stock Camaro SS for comparison. Remember he went 12.89 and 12.9x in two different 4th Gen Camaro tests back in the day.

You wouln't get much argument from me that the new GT is the quicker/faster car at the drag strip on average. That being said, I don't think it is a "Camaro Crusher" atleast its too early to make that assertation. But hey, it sells magazines! I think we will see the GT about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds faster than the Camaro on average, but we need to get more owners times. To me, just my opinion, 0.1 to 0.2 seconds is a drivers race and not a "crushing" by any means.

If I had to pick right now, I would take a 2011 GT over a Camaro SS, but I would take a 07-09 GT500 over either and an 03-06 SRT-10 Viper over that. I'm currently still saving, dreaming, and enjoying my cheap Camaro in the meantime:beer: The Viper is the goal!

Driver72

Established Member
3.73's

It was a good read and great to hear that the real world confirmed the calculations that the gearing (with 3.73's) is darn near perfect of the 1/4 mile. They said they were crossing the traps right at the top of 4th.

Order your car with 3.73's and you should be able to play with rev-limiter and tire size to keep it at the top of 4th through the traps as you add power.

Of course, you could get really crazy and add some deep gears, crazy power, and power shift 5th! Now thats just craziness;-)

I believe the 3.55's will be the best ratio for 1/4 mile dragging, especially as you add a bit more power.
With the 3.73's you cross the stripe right at redline in 4th.
Add even 10-12 hp and you're going to need to shift to 5th, which will hurt you more than the 10-12 hp gained you.

Adding 20 or so HP should make the 3.55's run the 1/4 right at the top of 4th.

Plus there will be less wheel spin going into 2nd and even 3rd with the 3.55's which will allow faster times.

The 3.55's have yet to be tested, but again I think they are the best of both worlds for great performance but still decent gas mileage when just cruising.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Ford has a complete winner on their hands with this new GT!! What a complete car. Great engine, great suspension, great build quality, awesome options and of course performance.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Ford has a complete winner on their hands with this new GT!! What a complete car. Great engine, great suspension, great build quality, awesome options and of course performance.

+1, the only thing left for debate is styling which of course is subjective. Otherwise nothing else comes close in it's price range. :beer:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I believe the 3.55's will be the best ratio for 1/4 mile dragging, especially as you add a bit more power.
With the 3.73's you cross the stripe right at redline in 4th.
Add even 10-12 hp and you're going to need to shift to 5th, which will hurt you more than the 10-12 hp gained you.

Adding 20 or so HP should make the 3.55's run the 1/4 right at the top of 4th.

Plus there will be less wheel spin going into 2nd and even 3rd with the 3.55's which will allow faster times.

The 3.55's have yet to be tested, but again I think they are the best of both worlds for great performance but still decent gas mileage when just cruising.

I am willing to bet there will be more poeple who add more than 20hp or, which would again make 3:73s a better option. ;)
An extra shift at the top end is not goign to kill you. It's the 60' and 330' that make the run anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread