MM coilovers are in. Pay attention San Diego guys

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter
Bingo - are those the AFS 17x10.5's? That's what I have on the back w/BFG KD 315/35/17's. I don't want to roll the fender lip.

Hi,

Those are the AFS 17x10.5" wheels. The AVS Sports on my car and the BFG KDs have the same specifications regarding section width. I had no issues running this setup without the spacer and button head bolt (might go back to a shaved stock bolt this week). I had the button head bolt installed last week but no way no how am I doing spacers. They are not needed in my opinion. There is no reason to roll the fender lip. I had '00R springs on the car and had a 1" drop in the back without any issues running these tires.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
toofast4u - OK, what did your total package cost you? Shocks, struts, springs, everything.

You probably won't want to do what Bingo and myself have unless you are planning on doing track time. While I believe my car is very comfortable on the street in its current configuration the cost of the struts and some of the other suspension components on my car would most likely not be justified depending on your budget. I would call MM up and ask what are the hardest springs you can do with your stock struts. I believe it will be around 400 and then the rear would be around 575-600. I would also buy the 00R shocks and have them groove and reinforce them since that will make it a lot easier and faster to do the installation. The other additions I would recommend are MM Full Length subframes and IRS bushings. If you really want to know how much my suspension was I will tell you, but don't think it’s in your best interest.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
OK, thanks! This coil over set-up is definately something I'm interested in. It's just hard to spend $1000 + on something that doesn't increase HP!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
I am lowered 1" in the front and .75" in the rear currently. I will go to a 1.25"~1.5" drop in the rear once we figure out the proper adjustment for the KB rear steer kit at that drop (no jokes Brian :p ). The front is a little deceiving as I am running 285/40/17s which are .4" taller than the 275s. In the rear I am running the 315/35/17s.

That is 1" on the front? It looks the same as mine and I only lowered .5". My fender to ground was 27" before the coil-overs and 26.5" now. Could you check to see what your fender to ground is when you have a chance.

So you went with the rear steer. I am running full plates for caster on the front which is 5 degrees and have no problem with bump or rear steer in my current configuration.

Bingo13

Established Member
OK, thanks! This coil over set-up is definately something I'm interested in. It's just hard to spend $1000 + on something that doesn't increase HP!

If you go this route it is best to do it right the first time. Doing it right as toofast4u stated will cost a small amount of money. ;-) It also means upgrading the balance of the suspension in regards to the struts/shocks/bushings/cc plates/sub-frame connectors and other components. This car handles very well from the factory and unless you have a track or autocross objective then doing the basic spring/bushing install will best meet your needs. If you want to drop the car an inch and retain the stock components then a set of Steeda Cobra Sport springs will work fine. They are a progressive design 550/650 and work very well. The other item to install will be the MM IRS bushings. They will tighten up the rear end and reduce the wheel hop.

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
That is 1" on the front? It looks the same as mine and I only lowered .5". My fender to ground was 27" before the coil-overs and 26.5" now. Could you check to see what your fender to ground is when you have a chance.

So you went with the rear steer. I am running full plates for caster on the front which is 5 degrees and have no problem with bump or rear steer in my current configuration.

I will check it in the morning. I am running 4 degrees on caster, -1.8 on camber, and -6 on toe-in. The 4 degrees gave me the best balance. I do not know why but 5 degrees was a little shaky on my car. I put the 425lb springs back on the car with the new Bilstein Sport struts. There is actually very little difference between them and the 350s until you want to drift the car sideways. :D I just cannot pull the trigger on the race struts yet. I like the rear steer as it does help control the rear on launches. I will find out how it does on the track in a few weeks. I might toss it afterwards.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by fakesnake.com
I just had my MM coilovers installed. I decided to raise the car up slightly from my H&R springs due to oilpan mishap. I don't like messing with suspension stuff so I had someone do it. I feel like I am 4 wheeling but it is still lower than stock.

Do you have pictures yet???? I love your wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread