MM coilovers are in. Pay attention San Diego guys

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I just had my MM coilovers installed. I decided to raise the car up slightly from my H&R springs due to oilpan mishap. I don't like messing with suspension stuff so I had someone do it. I feel like I am 4 wheeling but it is still lower than stock.

For those of you in San Diego, I found a guy locally to install them. He is a mobile installer and comes to you with a truck and tools (mobilemotorsports.com). He used to work for shox.com and Dave Turner Motorsports. Cost me $260. I plan on having him do my IRS bushings next.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
What height did you end-up with from the ground to the top of the fender. I set mine at 26.5" in the front and 27" in the rear and am happy with the look and feel.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
Keep in mind my tires/wheels aren't stock so we probably can't compare equally. The way the installer measures is he goes in inches from a particular point on the coil over that I forget. He went 3" from that point all the way around.

I was sitting at 1 1/2" lower with the H&R's. I think I am at 1- 1.25" lower from stock now.

I am also probably running a softer spring then you. 325 in front and 500 in rear was the combo I recall I am running.

Last edited:

fakesnake.com

Established Member
WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR BASSANI'S ?? WHO INSTALLED THEM ??

From Bassani directly. They installed them because they tested the system on my car during development but they don't do installs for customers.

Steve B

Established Member
Perhaps a bit off-topic but how did your oil pan problem work out?

fakesnake.com

Established Member
Steve Snake, new engine is coming this week sometime. Old engine runs fine now but #1 cylinder rattles like the sound of a bad cat.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
AMB: fakesnake's setup sounds n-a-a-s-t-y....Trust me...n-a-a-s-t-y....

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by fakesnake.com
Keep in mind my tires/wheels aren't stock so we probably can't compare equally. The way the installer measures is he goes in inches from a particular point on the coil over that I forget. He went 3" from that point all the way around.

I was sitting at 1 1/2" lower with the H&R's. I think I am at 1- 1.25" lower from stock now.

I am also probably running a softer spring then you. 325 in front and 500 in rear was the combo I recall I am running.

You are probably sitting lower then mine. I am lowered 0.50" in the front and 1.25" in the rear. You are running substantially softer springs then me and that makes running lower actually more dangerous. I have 425 in the front and 650 in the rear. Here is the picture of mine.

attachment.php

The best way to measure height is from the ground to the top of the fender.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
That was my understanding of how to measure too, only this guy did it differently.

I told MM exactly what I was running and that I wanted the height to be slightly higher but the ride to be similar to my set up now. I wasn't looking for a corner carving set up because how much cornering am I going to do with 19"'s

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
So, what does the coil over set-up cost for a "street" car. Can we keep our factory shocks/struts?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
You are fine with the softer springs. The only problem is that when lowering to extreme the softer springs will increase the body movement making the reduced ride height more dangerous.

When adjusting the coil-over what you do is set the car to the height you want. Then measure from the bottom of the strut or shock to the bottom of the spring perch. Make sure the measurement on the other side of the car is the same. If you don't do this then you will pre-weight a wheel incorrectly. This is what the guy was doing.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
The MM coilovers are pretty reasonable. They cost me $927 shipped and I had to pay tax. In addition, you need caster camber plates that cost you about $200. You have to send MM your rear shocks to have them slotted so that you can keep your stock shocks. I bought an extra pair and had them slotted to save down time.

You need CC plates for springs so I think $700 additional for coilovers is a bargain. If you go with Griggs that's a different story.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter
So, what does the coil over set-up cost for a "street" car. Can we keep our factory shocks/struts?

The Maximum Motorsports front coil-over kit with springs is 369 and the rear coil-over kit with springs is 429. You also need Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates which are 199. You can use the stock struts/shocks, but the shocks will need to be sent to MM to be grooved and reinforced if you decide to use the stock units.

It also depends on what you call a street car. Mine has the parts above, but I replaced the stock struts with MM race struts and stock shocks with 00R shocks. My springs are 425 in the front and 650 in the rear. My ride quality is compariable to a BMW 330i.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
It also depends on what you call a street car. Mine has the parts above, but I replaced the stock struts with MM race struts and stock shocks with 00R shocks. My springs are 425 in the front and 650 in the rear. My ride quality is compariable to a BMW 330i.
I drive my car 70 miles a day. That's all I meant by street car. I think the factory ride seems good to me. I just like the idea of being able to adjust the ride height.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I drive my car 70 miles a day. That's all I meant by street car. I think the factory ride seems good to me. I just like the idea of being able to adjust the ride height.

I drove my car actually 90 miles today and had no problem with the ride being harsh or uncomfortable. As I said before my car rides just like my mom's 330i which is sold as a luxury car. But the major difference is my cars handling is almost completely neutral now.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
toofast4u - OK, what did your total package cost you? Shocks, struts, springs, everything.

Bingo13

Established Member

You would probably want to do a 350/575 setup and still be able to use the stock struts/shocks. This would give you a slightly firmer ride (not bouncy) than stock but would certainly improve your overall vehicle handling. It will also allow your car to maintain a fairly netural balance on the road. Our stock struts/shocks have poor dampening compared to the aftermarket Bilsteins.

Bingo13

Established Member
I am lowered 1" in the front and .75" in the rear currently. I will go to a 1.25"~1.5" drop in the rear once we figure out the proper adjustment for the KB rear steer kit at that drop (no jokes Brian :p ). The front is a little deceiving as I am running 285/40/17s which are .4" taller than the 275s. In the rear I am running the 315/35/17s.

cobrasidepd.jpg

Last edited:

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Bingo - are those the AFS 17x10.5's? That's what I have on the back w/BFG KD 315/35/17's. I don't want to roll the fender lip.

Users who are viewing this thread