Mishimoto update...

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
If anyone has any questions as to whether these radiators are absolute pieces of shit...dont wonder, they are. 18 months later and it leaking at the welds. $500 dollars later and Im back to a stocker. Im sending the old one back to Mishimoto, one way, with a note that their radiators blow. I wished I had listened to the ump-teen other people that said this before I bought one. Save yourself the trouble, get a Fluidyne or keep the stocker. Rant off.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
$500 later? Why didn't you get them to send you another instead or ask for your money back since their warranty is actually good? My first mishimoto leaked after 6 months and the replacement radiator they sent me has held up just fine since I'm using their aluminum brackets.

I know they're crap since almost all of their first design radiators have leaked but no need to have spent $500

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
$500 later? Why didn't you get them to send you another instead or ask for your money back since their warranty is actually good? My first mishimoto leaked after 6 months and the replacement radiator they sent me has held up just fine since I'm using their aluminum brackets.

I know they're crap since almost all of their first design radiators have leaked but no need to have spent $500

Well, that price is the purchase price, install and the purchase of a used stocker to replace it.I have already gotten a stocker and I won't put another of theirs in my car. My first inclination is to send it back with a less than flattering note, however, Ill send it in and see if they are willing to do anything to make it right. If they send me a new one I will probably just sell it to try and get back some of my money

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
They have a lifetime warranty on all their radiators, I paid $225 for mine and when it developed a leak I emailed mishimoto and they sent me a new one for $10 shipping. All I had to do was email them pics of the leak and the radiator was on its way. If this one ends up going out then I will be asking for my money back.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I've heard lots of bad things concerning the mishi radiators; leaking. Although I've heard the new redesigned one actually holds up pretty well. I thought my 97 Cobra had heat issues like the 96's but I just wasn't turning on my fan at the right times since mine is aftermarket and with a switch.

CJK440

Established Member
FYI, when I was contemplating a new Rad I did some research and found that the Mishi's leak but the Fluidynes also do but since the Mishi's are so cheap they outsell and thus out leak many times over. The 03/04 rad was the most reliable but cooling efficiency was not the same.

I decided on Mishi and noticed that you couldn't just drop it in and expect a bind free install. I had to tweak lots of things in order to have a "sloppy" fitting radiator that was free to expand and contract without stress.

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
Mine has held fine for 12 months, what did you expect for the price?

Fluidynes are just as shitty and more expensive! Get an 03/04 rad if you are concerned about longevity.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Fluidyne's leak just as bad.. I would get an 04 Cobra like the guy above me said.. Or a Ron Davis radiator, or possibly give C&R a call and see if they make one for us.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Mine has held fine for 12 months, what did you expect for the price?

Fluidynes are just as shitty and more expensive! Get an 03/04 rad if you are concerned about longevity.

Yeah, my expectation that it might hold water was obviously unrealistic. The stock one did that for 12 years without issue. And bear in mind...mind held up fine for 18 months before it cracked at the welds.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Just to pile on here, my Fluidyne only lasted for 18 months too. Now I have a custom-made copper/bronze radiator (with the Fluidyne dimensions) with more cooling capacity and it is guaranteed for life as long as I change coolant regularly.

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
A radiator that doesn't effing leak!

Then you had unrealistic expectations is what im saying. Buying cheap you have to accept some risk, thats just like any other product. I know its shit and im fully ready for it to break and i'll fix it. If i worried about it I'd spend the extra coin for a robust setup.

Like buying an On3 turbo kit and complaining it does have the fit and finish of a hellion kit, imo.

94venomV8

Established Member
I have a Mishima, the way I see it is they can keep sending me free ones on their dime. Maybe after they do that several thousands of times between customers they will continue to progress the design. Doesn't much matter to me because my initial cost is the same.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
A radiator that doesn't effing leak!

People have NO better luck with $600 fluidynes and other brands as well..

The mishimoto is 1/3 the price AND they basically give you an unconditional warranty.. Other's don't.....

SO STOP BITCHING!!!

It seems like everyone who has subframes and uses the new brackets which help keep the radiators from binding up are not having any problems..

Speaking of.... I need to contact Mishimoto so they can send me a free replacement :beer:

Mine lasted a whopping 3 days, but I'm not mad, because they'll take care of it, they've improved the design, and you should honestly have subframe connectors if you want to run a larger radiator...

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
What difference did their brackets make?

Their brackets allow for less stress to be put on the radiator when/if the unibody/core support is flexing under certain driving conditions. The bushings in them are softer also. They're made of flexible aluminum.
DSCN0708.jpg

CJK440

Established Member
Their brackets allow for less stress to be put on the radiator when/if the unibody/core support is flexing under certain driving conditions. The bushings in them are softer also. They're made of flexible aluminum.
DSCN0708.jpg

They are very soft bushings and the brackets are very flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread