misfire

alex03SB

Established Member
new to this site have an 03 cobra with bbk lt h-pipe no cats smaller pulley and cai car starts to misfire when it reaches operating temp change plugs has tr6 gap at 32 any ideas where to start :shrug:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
new to this site have an 03 cobra with bbk lt h-pipe no cats smaller pulley and cai car starts to misfire when it reaches operating temp change plugs has tr6 gap at 32 any ideas where to start :shrug:

If it's not plugs it is going to be a coil or coils.

Warm it till it skips and pull the wire off the coils one by one.

If you pull one and there is not change in the skip you found at least one of the bad coils.

Switch it with a coil from another cylinder that is firing and see if the skip follows the coil.

Or buy a whole set, they are getting old if they are all original.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
it has no dtc should i go with coils heard that they can go bad when they get hot

Replace all eight COP's at one time and you will be done. The FRPP kit (M-12029-4V) is the most economical way to go. The MIL may flash when you get a misfire, but it won't always throw a code.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Replace all eight COP's at one time and you will be done. The FRPP kit (M-12029-4V) is the most economical way to go. The MIL may flash when you get a misfire, but it won't always throw a code.

if you do this call tousley ford for the parts...list is 297.00...tousley will charge 210+ shipping..

well last yr thats what i paid ...

alex03SB

Established Member
i have owned this car for a week always wanted one and finally had a chance to get it pulley has been swaped not sure what size doesnt say just like a purple color. Car would idle high and found an vaccum line disconnected from a plastic can looking thing next to the egr it ran to the cai plugged it back in idle real good order all 8 coils from american muscle frpp coming in saturday, but after i plugged in vaccum hose tested car again and this time no misfire :rolling:

alex03SB

Established Member
Well a vaccum hose that runs to the cai and a round box on the left hand side cylinder head was unpluged on purpose. When i bought the car it was like that so i connected the hose back and my idle got better and the misfire went away. i have been driving the car like that for 3 days and so far no more misfire. Ordered the coils from frpp 298$ gonna put them on anyways.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well a vaccum hose that runs to the cai and a round box on the left hand side cylinder head was unpluged on purpose. When i bought the car it was like that so i connected the hose back and my idle got better and the misfire went away. i have been driving the car like that for 3 days and so far no more misfire. Ordered the coils from frpp 298$ gonna put them on anyways.

What was the box.

alex03SB

Established Member
Well dont know the correct name for it just know it looks like a those old in line fuel filters has two connections one that goes to the cai and one to another vaccum box, it sits right above the left hand side fuel rail. Need to research more to find proper name for it

hotcobra03

Established Member
Well dont know the correct name for it just know it looks like a those old in line fuel filters has two connections one that goes to the cai and one to another vaccum box, it sits right above the left hand side fuel rail. Need to research more to find proper name for it

can you take a pic?

that inline fuel filter looking thing is capped..and should be attached to back of strut tower...just hanging out

hotcobra03

Established Member
Well according to the diagram its the boost bypass valve that i am reffering to, why would the previous owner dissconect it and how did that cause my car to misfire. the hose that was disconnected according to the diagram was the one to the ambient metering on the cai

without a good pic of yours its hard to guess what/why what was done caused issues,,,

i had replaced my vacuum harness,,the new harness out of box was put together wrong..they had the hoses backwards on egr valve sensor..

this caused the car to run like crap...

alex03SB

Established Member
None the less car is running awesome had another problem gonna try and figure out this weekend, my car is spitting out oil from the rear end girdle breather hose im thinking they might of put to much oil. How much oil do they call for its a frpp girdle. And ill try and take a pic of the engine bay.

Users who are viewing this thread