Mini Supra? Your thoughts...

wjk

Established Member
This is one of the Toyota/Scion/Subaru's new model. Its been called FT-86 or FR-S. Its a front engine (boxer engine), rear wheel drive, 2+2 platform, with either a 6 speed manual trans or 6 speed auto clutch w/ paddle shifters. I've heard under 2700lbs and about 200hp.

Seems alright, but looks to be more of a budget performance car. I doubt I'd be considering one, but if they were to throw a turbo on it and get the power up to 300hp I might consider it. Supposing it actually looks good in the final stage of production. Right now it doesn't look to appealing. I'm assuming with the wrap off it will look a little bland. How about you guys?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

1893814.jpg

Scion-FR-S-Coupe-Concept-21.jpg

Last edited:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Those pictures below the camo'd car look pretty damn good!! Wonder how much its going to cost? I like the bottom one the best.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I agree that it needs to be turboed.... but it's a joint venture between Subi and Toyota. It's powered by a boxer engine- no awd though.

wjk

Established Member
Genesis + LFA = ^^^^

The prototypes look the most like an LFA. The car under wraps doesn't really IMO.

Those pictures below the camo'd car look pretty damn good!! Wonder how much its going to cost? I like the bottom one the best.

Autoweek reported somewhere between $20k- $30k.

I agree that it needs to be turboed.... but it's a joint venture between Subi and Toyota. It's powered by a boxer engine- no awd though.

I kind of like that its just RWD. It should be very light weight and nimble.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There was a good thread the other day discussing this one. Nice looking car. Someone said it is supposed to compete with the Mazda Miata but I don't see how since they're different cars. One's a coupe and the other is a roadster. I really like the F-86 concept shown in photo #6. Very nice lines. Stick a turbo in it and with the light weight you've got a really nice DD. Hmmm.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Hard to say it's a mini-Supra. Maybe if they were planning on building it with an inline 6 and a factory power-adder. :rockon:

If anything it's like a Japanese BMW Z3. RWD, 200hp, 2700-2900lbs.

Which BTW, I would take the m-coupe version over this car.

nye_felger.jpg

kuruma

Established Member
The profile shot reminds me of a Supra a lot. Just a little shorter though.

Quite a bit shorter actually. Supra is 177.7" and the FRS is 168.2" It's also 3" lower than the supra. but .2" wider.

I'm looking forward to this car if in fact it does look like the scion version which is the bottom one of all the pics posted up there. It would def be my next vehicle, I'll turbo it myself...

Users who are viewing this thread