Might get used whipple gen 3 have question.

charged87

Established Member
have a local guy with a very low mileage gen3 2.9 off his 09 he purchased back in 2017, car got wreaked and he had the tow yard pull the blower off for him but unfortunately he or the shop pulling it didn't have much of an idea what all the necessary hardware and other things needed in the kit it came with was supposed to be pulled off, so basically he just has the blower W175AX with pulley and whipple TB the duel 68mm. he had a well known shop do the install back in 2018 and has no more than 2600 miles on it.. I'm just on the fence about buying it and sourcing all the correct components that came in this kit.

Attachments

• whipple.jpg
    whipple.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 124

buddha93

Established Member
Question is what it's gonna cost you. You need to look at worst case scenario here and availability of everything thats missing. Hardware can always be sources, albit a pain sometimes if it's specialty.

charged87

Established Member
Question is what it's gonna cost you. You need to look at worst case scenario here and availability of everything thats missing. Hardware can always be sources, albit a pain sometimes if it's specialty.
$2800 I actually just emailed Whipple and they mentioned the fittings and hardware plus egr tube would cost $450 plus tax and shipping.

buddha93

Established Member
2800 is pretty steep IMO for a 5 year old used blower that's been sitting with no hardware, even with low miles. He's gotta make it worth your while and at 2800 bucks, it's gonna sit for a while. At $2k I'd be a buyer, but just my 2 cents.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
what fuel do you plan on running and how extensive is your supporting mod list going to be? If the answer is 93, and a street car, than get a Gen3R 2650 or a 2.3 unit

charged87

Established Member
what fuel do you plan on running and how extensive is your supporting mod list going to be? If the answer is 93, and a street car, than get a Gen3R 2650 or a 2.3 unit
pretty much 93, I have a trinity on it now with 13/14 injectors, VMP boost a pumps, C&R heat exchanger, 170 T stat, 123 JLT, and no cats. see's the 1/4 mile a few times a year if that... mostly a weekend worrier/cruiser.

azc0bra

Established Member
After having both a Trinity 2.3 and a Gen4 Whipple 2.9, I would stick with the trinity. I did not gain much (if anything) on the Whipple. The 2.3 Trinity is IMO the perfect pump gas blower for these cars. If you want more power (and want to go with better fuel), you can pulley down and add 15% lower and be in business.

Also, I purchased BNIB Gen4 2.9 Whipple for $2750. I'm sure prices have raised a bit, but I would not spend $2800 on a used 2.9, ever.

Also, Klaus makes a great point. Have that baby ported/rebuilt and you will have a mean machine that is probably going to outgrow those injectors, and open up new places to spend money. Bigger injectors, new tune, etc. etc.

cobracide

Established Member
Porting a twin screw is a lot more complicated than a roots. The compression happens inside the case for a twin screw where as the roots just shoves the air into the intake. You're SC porting guy better really know what he's doing and have a proven track record.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Porting a twin screw is a lot more complicated than a roots. The compression happens inside the case for a twin screw where as the roots just shoves the air into the intake. You're SC porting guy better really know what he's doing and have a proven track record.
Agreed but I doubt anyone is talking about putting the Whipple but instead the 2.3 TVS.
Whipple does offer some special sauce ‘ported’ twin screws factory direct but it’s usually for serious racing/sponsored guys.
I made some big power on a ported Gen 2R 2.3 TVS and all the TVS respond well to porting.
The TVS is a roots blower which is an air pump. Reducing restrictions before and after is the key.
-J

charged87

Established Member
I may just pass on it, My origeanl plan was to put a 10 or 15% lower and leave the oem 2.7 up top on the trinity and retune.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I may just pass on it, My origeanl plan was to put a 10 or 15% lower and leave the oem 2.7 up top on the trinity and retune.
That’s what I ran on my ‘14 (15% lower stock upper which is 2.6 I think).
Great combo and it ‘still has the stock upper’.
What year is your car? Might be close on injectors/pumps
-J

charged87

Established Member
That’s what I ran on my ‘14 (15% lower stock upper which is 2.6 I think).
Great combo and it ‘still has the stock upper’.
What year is your car? Might be close on injectors/pumps
-J
2010 with vmp boost a pumps and 13/14 injectors.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’d definitely talk to your tuner.
2010 is a weird year.
I’d still keep your TVS
-J

buddha93

Established Member
And there you have it.
This is why you rely on respected tuners who know this platform well.
$2000 with TB is fair IMO
-J
Yep, where I was at with it as well. I'd still stick with the TVS and put an underive pulley on it and call it a day for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread