Mid pipe rattle need help

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
I have a slight rattle coming from the passenger side of my Cobra. It sounds like the heat shield is rattling but i checked it and it appears that it is not. I have an MTR Catted H-pipe. Is my cat starting to come apart? I can't figure it out.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have a slight rattle coming from the passenger side of my Cobra. It sounds like the heat shield is rattling but i checked it and it appears that it is not. I have an MTR Catted H-pipe. Is my cat starting to come apart? I can't figure it out.

Check the cats first.

After it cools down jack it up, use jack stands, and hit the cat with the soft part of your palm... hard.

If it rattles the cat is damaged and is breaking up, if you are lucking the chunks will all blow out the tail pipes and not get caught in the mufflers and begin to rattle there.

If it does not rattle check around for other loose stuff.

If you are not lucky... :(

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
Ill do that first thing tomorrow. MAN, I hope it is not the cat. I have Mac catback on the car and it would really drive me nuts if the cat came apart and ended up inside the muffler. Thank you for the quick response. Its been driving me nuts.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Is the sound constant or only at a certain rpm?

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
When Im idling and just cruising around at 45-50mph I can hear it out side the car, a slight raddling. The raddling kinda comes and goes. When on the free way I cant hear it.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
My car threw a code for "catalytic converter efficiency, bank2" so I ordered a new one on-line - $65, shipped to my house.

I took the car to a local muffler shop and when they cut the old cat off, it was completely empty :eek:

The old one has a slight crease in it, from a high-spot impact... seems the ceramic element in them will fracture pretty easily and then they just come apart and blow on through.

Since then I have replaced both of them.

I am thinking MIL eliminators if it keeps happening, the shop charges $50 each to weld them in and I am not sure the X pipe will stand for them to be replaced again.

-Brian

stang23456

Yellow terminator
Established Member
I'm getting a rattle also in my exhaust at low speeds. I have a Mac h pipe and Mac catback. Let me know if you find an answer because my exhaust is tight and I can't figure it out

smk2svt

Established Member
I had the same issue, it was the cat. when it would get good and hot, no more noise. Mine got to the point where the ceramic brick in there must have a layer of insulation around it, a piece of it came out and partially blocked the exhaust.

Mine is a Bassani x-pipe. I had to just punch them both out till I can get replacements. WOW what a difference that makes, just did it this past weekend and already have had a neighbor complain.

hotcobra03

Established Member
i had a hard to find rattle...the abs module below air filter was missing a nut causing the bracket to rattle on the frame...

JMD0346

Established Member
Id bet its the ehat shields. I lost all four on my Bassani X over time. Jack it up and check. Even if they feel tight they can still rattle from just a crack in the welds.

I even welded one of mine back up and it broke again. Paper thin metal.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
Sounds like cat is going. Mine went the other day too. I didnt come out I dont think though. But I notice a huge power difference.

JMD0346

Established Member
I have same rattle from my Mac h pipe and posted a message above

Oh ok. You have an o/r then. Sorry. Damn. Hard to say on an op/r pipe. Could be a loose connection bolt at the header or catback. Seems like I had that trouble one time too. Me or my buddys Cobra.

ID check the cover thats on the tranny too. Its the one that covers the cable where it connects to the shift fork. Theyll work loose and rattle too.

westray

0563 SVT
Established Member
I have a slight rattle also. You can only hear it when you downshit or really get on it. I have a mac prochamber and no cats. I think it might be a heat shield or a header that is lose. It doesnt make any noise at any other time tho.

What do guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread