Mickey Thompson Street Comp review

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I bought some Mickey Thompson Street Comps 305/35r20 for the rear of my 2012 5.0 and thought I'd share my experience from July until I had to take them off for Winter/Cold weather.

First of all they are a fantastic looking tire with very deep tread and tear it up in the rain. Funny quick story when I went to get them mounted it was raining and the tire tech was either really dumb or trying to sell me tires b/c he goes hope you live close and don't have to drive on the highway b/c you will crash with these tires. I go why, they should be great in rain and he goes no they won't at all they are Mickey Thompsons! Anyways rain = great. Looks = great. Also I noticed a significant improvement in straight line traction on the street. I can almost go from a dig and hook my tuned, OR exhaust automatic car. I mashed it several times right after about a half throttle take off and it stuck all the way through the shift into 2nd. A much improved hook over the 245 General GMax tires if the temp is about about 70 degrees. Now here is the bad. If the temp is under I'd say 60 then these things absolutely suck. That's why I'll wait until like mid March or after before I put them back on. Also I noticed going around a round about kind of hard it started slipping pretty easily. I thought the tire was really low on pressure or just maybe because they were still pretty new but I've found they just don't like sideways action. It would be easy to do donuts in them if you want so maybe that's a positive :)

Well that's about it. Just to repeat the straight line traction on these is really good if you ask me for a street tire and rain is fantastic along with their good looks. Pic for reference. Let me know if you have any questions. Good budget tire

20160629_184036_zpsfvenqrh2.gif

20160702_143830_zpsjl7b5rot.gif

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Oh gosh I'm glad you like them haha. They don't grip at all for us, it also has to do with our gearing. There the same if not worse than the stock P'zeros. We don't feel confident with the car in the rain either. Glad you are happy with them though bro!!:) They are a great looking tire though!! Next for us is Mpss.

Evojayfi21

Established Member
They work well for me in the rain and good when its hot. Not the best tire but for daily driving there great for the price.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I have these on my 02 GT making 450whp and they absolutely suck in 1st and 2nd. Im sure they will last quite some time if I dont always spin.

Good for a lower hp car though.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
What tires are you changing from? Very rarely does anyone say these have great traction.

That's what I was thinking lmao. Before we bought them kept on reading how people liked them, then when we put them on read up on them some more and very few people liked them and of course the AM reps said they would dead hook in first for us lol.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
What tires are you changing from? Very rarely does anyone say these have great traction.
General Gmax. Bought the MT Street Comps for summer driving and to get a fat tire in back mainly for looks lol. Car is a 2012 automatic 5.0 with a 93 tune, CAI and offroad mid. I do have aftermarket LCA, relocation brackets, springs and shocks too. They don't hook like the 555r on my Cobra but just saying they aren't bad but I could see on a stick shift car with 373s forget it but I'd say my 5.0 has 380+wheel hp but gears are the stock 315s

noldevin

Established Member
General Gmax. Bought the MT Street Comps for summer driving and to get a fat tire in back mainly for looks lol. Car is a 2012 automatic 5.0 with a 93 tune, CAI and offroad mid. I do have aftermarket LCA, relocation brackets, springs and shocks too. They don't hook like the 555r on my Cobra but just saying they aren't bad but I could see on a stick shift car with 373s forget it but I'd say my 5.0 has 380+wheel hp but gears are the stock 315s
Ah that explains it then lol. There's definitely better out there if and when you're ready

Chad Clark

Established Member
I just bought these. And made a post... they seem to suck so far, it's mid 60s tho only here yet. I'm hoping for a improvement with temps but my bald 295/35/20 invos seemed better.
My car is a 13 5.0 auto with 3:55s LTH, hiflo cats, MagnaFlow RTR mufflers, CAI, and a GT-350 Intake Manifold.

04YellowGT

Established Member
These tires don't hook for anything, to the point they are almost dangerous. I've got a 6spd with full exhaust (LTs), CAI, tune, plus UCA and LCA. Anything below 30-40mph its spin city.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Tires look great OP.... glad youre happy w them and they look like they'll do the trick in that STL rain... Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread