Mickey Thompson street comp quick REVIEW. 285 on Brembo package 19x9 wheel

walked_u_hard

Established Member
For those that are wondering about the Mickey Thompson street comp tires, or if you are wondering about 285 35 19 tires fitting you wheels, here you go.

The tires look great on the car, and they don't bulge as much as i thought they would. 285/35/19's WILL fit the factory Brembo package premium 19x9 wheels (+42 off set) in the rear AND the front without rubbing (the 285 mickeys are about 11" wide), keep in mind though some manufactures tires run wider or thinner than others. The Mickey Thompson's have a 300 tread rating and the factory Pirelli rubber has a 220 rating. If you're not aware, a tread rating is basically the softness of the rubber compound, the higher the number the longer it will last. Those tread ratings are only accurately comparable within the same manufactures tire lineup though. The Mickeys are a bit softer than the Pirelli's though. And for comparison the Sumitomo HTRZ II tires are noticeably softer than both even though its rated at 360.

My manual 11 GT has 3.73's and dynoed 408/392 (SAE), it would spin the 255 Pirelli's to redline in 2nd on most surface's. The 285 Mickey's will spin in 2nd as well, however it's not as bad as the 255 Pirelli's. The mickeys are awesome in the rain, no hydroplaning to speak of. Its sucks to say, but if you looking for a BIG improvement over stock rubber these are not it, then again if you're looking for a big improvement in a straight line you should be looking at drag radials to begin with.

The tires im talking about:
mickey thompson street comp 285/35/19

Pix:
kPr3w.jpg

z2nWv.jpg

vzjql.jpg

NlcSw.jpg

Last edited:

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Pretty sure its the opposite. Higher the tread rating the harder the compound is and the lower the rating is, the softer the compound is.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
Pretty sure its the opposite. Higher the tread rating the harder the compound is and the lower the rating is, the softer the compound is.

sorry man, the higher the number the more mileage you can get out of the tire.

Last edited:

walked_u_hard

Established Member
tire width comparison, the mickeys have a 10.5-11 wide tread width depending on where you measure.

2EeBO.jpg

KV4Gk.jpg

DBLq9.jpg

Last edited:

calgarybandit

Established Member
It's a French Mini Bulldog and yes after Nikyla & I did some negotiations and added a Coke in the deal Brandie was all good.

Correct my Proxes are 100 rating and they are soft as hell the lower the number the softer the tread.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
so whats the overall tire height on the mickey's?

I didnt measure them off the wheel, sorry.

But a quick bullshit measurement with the tire mounted on the 19x9 wheel @ 35 psi and the car on the ground it just measured in at 26.5". Mickey Thompsons website says 28.6" on a 10" wide wheel.

Last edited:

stang8psi

Established Member
I didnt measure them off the wheel, sorry.

But a quick bullshit measurement with the tire mounted on the 19x9 wheel @ 35 psi and the car on the ground it just measured in at 26.5". Mickey Thompsons website says 28.6" on a 10" wide wheel.

Yea that' why I asked lol, I didn't think they had the right height listed on their web site!

Fun4me

Established Member
Even w/ all that extra width, they don't hook that much better than stock? Kinda shitty.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
They are better than stock, but id say that's because they are 285's vs the factory 255's. They are a great day to day tire, but when traction is needed in lower gears they are not the best. Keep in mind though, my car is putting down 436rwhp and has 3.73's. This tire would be a better choice for a car with lower hp, or a 2011+ gt with 3.31's.

As a daily driver tire you cant beat it. I'll be doing a set of race stars, and MT ET streets for track duty.

Highway Star

Established Member
They are better than stock, but id say that's because they are 285's vs the factory 255's. They are a great day to day tire, but when traction is needed in lower gears they are not the best. Keep in mind though, my car is putting down 436rwhp and has 3.73's. This tire would be a better choice for a car with lower hp, or a 2011+ gt with 3.31's.

As a daily driver tire you cant beat it. I'll be doing a set of race stars, and MT ET streets for track duty.

I see you are in PA. What is the temperature there? These are Summer tires. You will get nothing out of them short of 55 degrees. Philly is 32 degrees Pittsburg is 19. Wait till it warms up a bit before making a definitive judgment.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
its cold around here, about 34 deg today, i spin in 3rd gear rolling into the throttle. Having said that, I have owned these tires since the end of summer when temps were still in the mid 80's. Even in warmer temps they are not that great in a straight line, they are a fairly hard compound tire meant for daily driver mileage IMO. They do handle well in turns, but im not pushing it on the street anyway.

2012gtmustang

Established Member
im thrilled with my MT's...super sticky in warm weather and great day to day tire including the rain...tracks straight and true, very quiet...great tire for the money! Just wish they had 295's for the rear. these are a huge improvement over the Pirellis.
2012-11-15_15-56-18_93.jpg

2012-11-15_15-44-46_903.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread