Mickey Thompson ET Radials pressure?

coyote302

Established Member
That's new to me. I run 28psi on the street and at the track I ran 18 and it was dead hooking, I have the A6 tranny with 3.15 gears and stock converter so when I go to the track this weekend I will try 28psi and see what happens. It was dead hooking with a 1.94 60' not good and I was getting that on the stock tires. So gonna see if a little wheel spin will help get the turd moving
with the stock 3.15 and converter you dont need to go below 28-30....i run mine at 30 and never had problem to hook...

yngrshr

Established Member
Alignment issue on 6 different vehicles? Hightly doubtful...

You're the first person who I have ever heard of having this "problem."

I've never had the "problem" on any of my vehicles and none of the racers I know have ever had the "problem."

nonliberal

Established Member
well you guys were right. I just took the ET radials out on the street and they didnt do that great.

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
well you guys were right. I just took the ET radials out on the street and they sucked ass. 270/60/15s. I tried 15,17,and 19 psi. Tried them with just a light dusting then a big smokey burnout and they acted like i was in the rain. This sucks! Brand new tires useless.

i dont know what you are expecting from those tires. they are in my opinion the stickiest street legal tire that you could use. but on the street they wont hook as hard as they do on a prepped track. auto guys have gone 1.40s with them. if i do a street run with them i can smoke them all the way to third gear but thats why the throttle can be modulated.

yngrshr

Established Member
well you guys were right. I just took the ET radials out on the street and they sucked ass. 275/60/15s. I tried 15,17,and 19 psi. Tried them with just a light dusting then a big smokey burnout and they acted like i was in the rain. The brand new tires are useless.

The street isn't a prepped track, though. You're not going to dead hook on the street with even the stickiest tires. It's just a fact of life. You will, however, have much less trouble driving a higher HP car on the street with them.

yngrshr

Established Member
But, IMO, that's why I prefer NT05s for the street. You're not going to hook either way, so why not get a tire that will hook slightly less but last a number of times longer?

nonliberal

Established Member
But, IMO, that's why I prefer NT05s for the street. You're not going to hook either way, so why not get a tire that will hook slightly less but last a number of times longer?

Yeah I have a new pair of 305/35/19 NT05Rs on my other wheels. I think they hook just as well. Maybe since they are wider.

Stevem17500

Established Member
I have a set of 265/40/18 et street 2 never been to the track. Just a. Few small burn outs....I wonder how much I can get for them used

nonliberal

Established Member
i dont know what you are expecting from those tires. they are in my opinion the stickiest street legal tire that you could use. but on the street they wont hook as hard as they do on a prepped track. auto guys have gone 1.40s with them. if i do a street run with them i can smoke them all the way to third gear but thats why the throttle can be modulated.

I have rear shocks set to full stiff, fronts set to full loose, LCAs, BMR springs, front swaybar disconnects, 10" wide wheels.

The only thing I can think of is the car is lowered and I didn't get a UCA yet. Maybe pinion angle is off??

Last edited:

Torchy

Established Member
Just read all this. Interesting.

I just put brand new 555r's on my car 305/35/20 and they dead hook. I launched on the street at 2500rpm and did not spin at all. I was amazed.

Op maybe trying loosening up the rear shocks. If it doesn't work you can always put em back to hard. Might need to play with it a little bit.

nonliberal

Established Member
I am right around 700WHP give or take on e85.
I have been playing with suspension adjustments but not getting much for results...

Stevem17500

Established Member
I am right around 700WHP give or take on e85.
I have been playing with suspension adjustments but not getting much for results...

What gears....I think they play a role at some point and and sticky track...im at 760whp and have same problem just spin city doing 70mph burn outs lol

JerryC

Established Member
thats why I think something has to be wrong. I mean they don't hook at all. I can hold the brake and tap tap tap the throttle half way and they will spin spin spin.

I have rear shocks set to full stiff, fronts set to full loose, LCAs, BMR springs, front swaybar disconnects, 10" wide wheels.

The only thing I can think of is the car is lowered and I didn't get a UCA yet. Maybe pinion angle is off??

It's tough to get traction from a dig on the street. The street has dirt and oils on it, it's not a flat surface it has imperfections and most importantly it doesn't have a layer of sticky rubber on it.

Did you pattern the tires? Just changing around air pressure doesn't help if you don't know how the tires are sitting. With a wide rim you could be riding the outside edges of the tire with lowered air pressure.

You can roll through a puddle (make one your self) and check the pattern, then do a burnout and see how the tracks look.

FWIW, my suspension is all stock, but I'm only at 524/497 hp/tq and a stock converter.

I'd loosen the rear shock settings, you want some movement to get some weight transfer.

Is your lca angle correct? Do you have relo brackets?

nonliberal

Established Member
Thanks guys. When I dropped the pressure to 12.5 psi i was riding the outside edges. 17 psi looked good.

They are 3.15 gears. I do have LCA relocation brackets.

I guess all I have left to try is an adjustable UCA and play with pinion angle.

Last edited:

yngrshr

Established Member
I just don't think you can expect a car with a TVS blower on it with instant torque and 700 RWHP to dead hook on the street. You should be trying to minimize spinning as much as possible rather than looking for a tire that will dead hook since, without a prepped track, none of them really will.

Users who are viewing this thread