Michigan Goes Retro...

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Check it out-

Michigan is bringing back the popular '65 "Water-Winter Wonderland" plates...
In University of Michigan colors... Blue & Maize...

Click-On-Detroit MI brings back "Water-Winter Wonderland" Pl8

Michigan S.O.S Plate Look-Up

Plus those colorful Bicentennial '76 plates can be "re-activated" and used again! And not as a decorative front plate...

Click-On-Detroit MI Goes Retro

.........................................................................................................................................................

It got me thinking of all the other states that allow "retro" plates to be used/issued:

California
Nevada
Oregon
Virginia
Delaware
Montana
Massachusetts
New Hampshire [90's Green & White only]

coposrv

Established Member
I want an old Massachusetts green plate really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Not really retro (I don't think anyway), but Iowa brought out a "blackout" plate as an alternative to the hideous design introduced in 2017-18.

City-Country-Reboot_WEB.png
Iowa-Blackout-Plate.jpg

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I have a buddy who recently moved to Iowa and said the same thing... The black & white ones are gaining popularity.

Also, wasn't Iowa overdue for a "new design" license plate?

I believe the "blue & white" farm plate lasted 20+ years, right? I remember as early as 1998 when I first seen one...
I'm not a big fan of the new "cartoon" style one either... but it is original at least.

Last edited:

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member

I remember back in the early 90's seeing BOTH Mass & Washington-State Green & White plates side-by-side...
Almost couldn't tell them apart...

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a buddy who recently moved to Iowa and said the same thing... The black & white ones are gaining popularity.

Also, wasn't Iowa overdue for a "new design" license plate?

I believe the "blue & white" farm plate lasted 20+ years, right? I remember as early as 1998 when I first seen one...
I'm not a big fan of the new "cartoon" style one either... but it is original at least.

The one I posted actually was an updated version from like a year or two prior to the release of the blackout. This is the one that we had before that one, which it way better than the one the came after it IMO. I have the blackouts on my vehicles, as do most of the population it seems lol. The State charges extra for them, I can't even imagine how much money they've made from them!
5137e25f327f2.image.jpg

quad

Established Member
Check it out-

Michigan is bringing back the popular '65 "Water-Winter Wonderland" plates...
In University of Michigan colors... Blue & Maize...

Click-On-Detroit MI brings back "Water-Winter Wonderland" Pl8

Michigan S.O.S Plate Look-Up

Plus those colorful Bicentennial '76 plates can be "re-activated" and used again! And not as a decorative front plate...

Click-On-Detroit MI Goes Retro

.........................................................................................................................................................

It got me thinking of all the other states that allow "retro" plates to be used/issued:

California
Nevada
Oregon
Virginia
Delaware
Montana
Massachusetts
New Hampshire [90's Green & White only]
I like the look of it. Less busy. If I had to get a new plate I would go for that.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I like the look of it. Less busy. If I had to get a new plate I would go for that.
Me too. Pretty much matches any color vehicle. We have sooooooo many options here for tags it's crazy. Half the time it looks like out of state people till you get close enough to see the FLORIDA.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Hopefully NY does this so they can rid them puke yellow ugly ass plates they make ppl put on their cars smh

Blown 89

Established Member
Retro plates need a comeback.

Arizona has 15 pages of custom plates on their website. Is that not normal in other states?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

My sister still had an original green/white plate registered up until a few years ago.
It was on the same car since the late 90s.

I had one of the MA USA flag plates for a few years. I wish they would bring those back.

Users who are viewing this thread