Michelin Pilot Super Sport 315/35/20

jps043

Established Member
I just ordered up a set of these for the rears and wanted to see if anyone else is running the same setup for daily driving? Just want to make sure they will fit on the stock wheel width and won't rub against the inner fender. Any input is appreciated.

On a side note, I also spec'ed out a new mod list thanks to BIRDDOC and Van from RevranRacing. I am going to order up the following:
- JLT Carbon Fiber CAI
- 10% OD pulley and new belt tensioner
- New spark plugs
- MGW short throw shifter
- SCT Tuner and a Lund Tune

Can't wait for the new found power, and traction :banana:

RRDave

Established Member
I'm thinking along the same lines as you but haven't seen anything over 305s mentioned that don't need some mods.
What about the front....is it a good idea to keep the stock tires if you switch out the backs? Sorry if this is a newbie question.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Those are too big for the stock rim, maybe have them widened and then run your setup. You may need to do a slight mod to the inner fender

305 will fit the stock rim but with some bulge

jps043

Established Member
So I just got off the phone with tire rack and they claim that the MPSS are not made in the 305 size. They offered me the Michelin Pilot PS2's but apparently those won't be in stock until the summer. The next best option ey gave me in the 305 size were the Pirelli P Zeros. Any suggestions on what to do guys?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
So I just got off the phone with tire rack and they claim that the MPSS are not made in the 305 size. They offered me the Michelin Pilot PS2's but apparently those won't be in stock until the summer. The next best option ey gave me in the 305 size were the Pirelli P Zeros. Any suggestions on what to do guys?
Their claim is correct. If you haven't already done so, please take a look at the link I provided to Michelin's specs for the MPSS.

FWIW, I wouldn't push the limit any further than 295s on stock rims.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
The p zeros suck. Better than the crap years- but still suck. Take a look at the Nitto invos. I loved mine on my 08

jps043

Established Member
Their claim is correct. If you haven't already done so, please take a look at the link I provided to Michelin's specs for the MPSS.

FWIW, I wouldn't push the limit any further than 295s on stock rims.

Those are too big for the stock rim, maybe have them widened and then run your setup. You may need to do a slight mod to the inner fender

305 will fit the stock rim but with some bulge

285 is the widest tire Michelin recommends running on 9.5" rims.

The p zeros suck. Better than the crap years- but still suck. Take a look at the Nitto invos. I loved mine on my 08

Ok thanks for the info guys and sorry about the novice questions. Norton thank you for the very useful link it has all the info I need. I guess I'm either going to go with a 295 setup or have my wheels widened to 10.5 so I can run 315s. I don't really want to wait a couple of weeks on that process to be completed though so I might just stick with the 295's. Irregardless the traction will be much better than the stock crapyears.

USV8PWR

Established Member
I run 315/35/20 Nitto Invo on CS1 Shelby rims just fine with no rubbing issues or the tires sticking out. But keep in mind the offset on my rear tires is like 50+mm!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Ok thanks for the info guys and sorry about the novice questions. Norton thank you for the very useful link it has all the info I need. I guess I'm either going to go with a 295 setup or have my wheels widened to 10.5 so I can run 315s. I don't really want to wait a couple of weeks on that process to be completed though so I might just stick with the 295's. Irregardless the traction will be much better than the stock crapyears.
You're welcome! Whether you stick with stock size or spend the time/money to increase your wheel size, I don't think you can go wrong with MPSS (especially when compared to the stock GY Eagles).

rwboring

Established Member
305s will fit stock rim width without a problem, i would even say 315's would fit although they are not ideal... keep in mind that terminator guys ran 315's on stock 9" rims... and if i recall some mustang GT guys ran 275's on 8" rims from time to time...

but there is no doubt that wider rims would be better

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
You will see a difference between stock GY 285's and Michie 285's. The rubber compound in Michies will offer way better traction. Although, Goodyears MAY last longer due to the slightly harder compound.

You have all the time in the world. Try a few 285's before you alter the car. Michelin's in mid summer are going to feel a lot better and less warm up IMO.

I originally wanted 305-325's MT but, I actually needed to engineer some slip into the rear tires. I hooked too good and bogged bad, trap speed and 60 foot showed this. I went down to a 295 MT of a 10" Weld (Sway relocation needed). If I were in a GT500, I wouldnt eliminate slip completely... That little tire spin keeps you in your powerband. (I myself consider the GT500's entire RPM range it's powerband, but I'm in a 500hp 5.0 soooooo... Two completely different loads of fun)

Plain and simple, your trading durability (if that) and a low replacement cost for a pure performance tire... and you are getting what you paid for.

Ford only used Goodyears so you have a cheap, disposable tire that your GT500 can sit on during the winter and not harm your wheels. I'm predicting a 0.2 pick up in the 1/4 with just a name brand swap. Again, just my opinion...

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member

i am still not sure even widening the factory wheels will allow you to run a 315 without modifications. I would PM forum member Catmonkey. He has done alot of research in this area. The reason I say I am not sure is due to the original offset and backspacing.

Personally I would consider purchasing a second set of wheels with the correct width and offset that will allow you to run a 315 without modifying the bumpstops, wheel wheels, etc.

Forgestar offers nice options as decent prices that can allow you to run a 315. The F14 wheel is somewhat similar to the stock svtpp wheel look.

You should have an 11" wheel with an offset ideally in the +53 to +55 range.

If you want to stay with stock height for tires consider the Toyo R888 315/30/20. Only downside is they won't last as long due to the softer compound.

farmboy90

Established Member
I just ordered up a set of these for the rears and wanted to see if anyone else is running the same setup for daily driving? Just want to make sure they will fit on the stock wheel width and won't rub against the inner fender. Any input is appreciated.

On a side note, I also spec'ed out a new mod list thanks to BIRDDOC and Van from RevranRacing. I am going to order up the following:
- JLT Carbon Fiber CAI
- 10% OD pulley and new belt tensioner
- New spark plugs
- MGW short throw shifter
- SCT Tuner and a Lund Tune

Can't wait for the new found power, and traction :banana:

My JLT CF intake is for sale. I bought mine from Van a few weeks ago. Has about 25-30 miles on it. PM if interested.

jps043

Established Member
Thanks again for all the info guys. For now I decided to go with 295/35/20 in the MPSS's instead of pushing the envelope too much with 315's. I am sure once I finish with this combo, I might switch it up to another set and size. For now I am excited about the thought of traction which I currently have absolutely none of.

Again thanks for all the help and input, it is much appreciated.

Farmboy I PM'ED you.

Husky44

Established Member
Thanks again for all the info guys. For now I decided to go with 295/35/20 in the MPSS's instead of pushing the envelope too much with 315's. I am sure once I finish with this combo, I might switch it up to another set and size. For now I am excited about the thought of traction which I currently have absolutely none of.

Again thanks for all the help and input, it is much appreciated.

Farmboy I PM'ED you.
Be sure and post a review once you have them on. I'm particularly interested to know how well you hook with 295s on stock rims, with no rear suspension mods, as my dilemma right now is what is the least I have to do to solve the traction issue. Don't want to spend money widening wheels if I don't need to, and would prefer to hold off a while on suspension mods, but I have to solve the traction issue early next spring.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Be sure and post a review once you have them on. I'm particularly interested to know how well you hook with 295s on stock rims, with no rear suspension mods, as my dilemma right now is what is the least I have to do to solve the traction issue. Don't want to spend money widening wheels if I don't need to...
x2. :pop:

shelbysvt

Established Member
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a question:

I was thinking of buying a set of HRE p40s in 20x10 front and 20x11 rear.

If I wanted to fit a 265/35-275/35 michelin PSS in the front and anything between a 285/35-315/35 michelin in the rear. What offset would I need? Or is that not possible?

While I still have warranty untill ford makes a tool for recalibrating the speedo I want to stick with stock sizes so 265/35 front and either 285 or 295/35 rear. But in the future I'd like to go as wide as 315 in the rear and a 275 up front. Is it possible for me to have a width and offset that would allow me to do all of this?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread