MGW vs pro 5.0 with steeda tri-ax handle

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I recently picked up a 98 cobra and I don't like the current shifter, which is a pro 5.0. My main gripe is the straight handle and it feels clunky going into gears. A cobra I had years ago I put a steeda tri-ax into it an loved it, the handle shape especially. My cousin is trying to talk me into the big bucks of a mgw shifter but an old thread on here mentioned using a steeda tri ax handle on the pro 5.0 and that would save me a lot of money. That thread was old though so is the MGW that much better and above all nowadays? I've never had one, only a knob. Thanks.

Mark99GT

Established Member
I had a tri ax on my old GT with a t45 and now have a pro 5.0 on my cobra, also with the t45. In liked/like them both, very similar. But I'm using a Hurst style 0015 shifter handle and love it. I didn't even bother trying the Pro 5.0 handle, I knew I wouldn't like it. Maybe try a handle first, save some $, and if you still don't like it then buy the MGW and sell the 5.0 with the extra handle.

Edit:. Coreshifters.com has nice quality handles in different styles and lengths at good prices. Maybe check them out.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I had a tri ax on my old GT with a t45 and now have a pro 5.0 on my cobra, also with the t45. In liked/like them both, very similar. But I'm using a Hurst style 0015 shifter handle and love it. I didn't even bother trying the Pro 5.0 handle, I knew I wouldn't like it. Maybe try a handle first, save some $, and if you still don't like it then buy the MGW and sell the 5.0 with the extra handle.

Edit:. Coreshifters.com has nice quality handles in different styles and lengths at good prices. Maybe check them out.
Thank you for that site, I've never heard of it. And good advice as well.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You mentioned that your Pro 5.0 feels clunky going into gears. While that isn't necessarily an issue with the actual shifter, it would be enough for me to lean towards the MGW. As good as the Pro 5.0 and Steeda shifters are, they can't compare to the MGW. It's in a league of its own. The "standard" and "bar" of shifter performance.

shurur

Established Member
I like my pro 5.0, but have a custom shifter handle to bring it back and toward me, as my seat and steering wheel are 4" back.

Supposedly the mgw is the way to go. I just don't like the look myself.

Mark99GT

Established Member
I like my pro 5.0, but have a custom shifter handle to bring it back and toward me, as my seat and steering wheel are 4" back.

Supposedly the mgw is the way to go. I just don't like the look myself.
The lack of handle options (only 3 I believe) were the issue for me. I'd love to try an MGW but I'm almost in the back seat with the seat track extenders/new seat base so I needed a more comfortable handle with better reach too.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My favorite was always the Pro 5.0, until I bought an MGW.
Same here.
All my mustangs always had Pro 5.0 then the ‘93 Cobra I picked up had a STOCK shifter so I tried MGW.
It’s like a refined Pro 5.0

OP I’d probably do a fluid swap, clutch adjustment and the Triax handle before spending money on the MGW.
If you were local I’d let you try a spare Triax handle from the late 90s/early 00s I’ve kept (with ‘01 Bullit factory shift knob) all these years.
Man trans FTW
-J

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The lack of handle options (only 3 I believe) were the issue for me. I'd love to try an MGW but I'm almost in the back seat with the seat track extenders/new seat base so I needed a more comfortable handle with better reach too.

Have you tried the MGW? Swivel the "comfort" handle so it points towards the back of the car. I bet you'd be a-ok with the reach.

shurur

Established Member
There is a reach fix in the terminator how-to section. You can get something of your own machined for $.

Steeda makes a comfort-pro shift level that might work for you but it is not in production and I sold mine.. I used that and an extender until I had a custom shift lever made.

I don't think the mgw, or any shifter, is going to get the shift knob back far enough on its own.

Upr and Hurst make longer shift handles and you might be able to curve them in a bit toward your thigh by progressive bending along its length in a vice....

I feel your pain.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member

I'd be willing to leave the closed wrench end as my shifter...but I am a hick who likes window louvers and such..

Last edited:

Mark99GT

Established Member

I'd be willing to leave the closed wrench end as my shifter...but I am a hick who likes window louvers and such..
That's pretty cool; I'd keep the closed end too. I wanted those black aluminum louvers on the rear windshield of my 99 GT back when I had it, haha.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
well I've talked myself into just biting the bullet and calling MGW today to order from them. Just too many good reviews on them.

shurur

Established Member
You still have explained what you mean by "the look". :unsure:
You can see the "shifter arm assembly" under the boot. Especially when you do the offset..you can't hide that linkage under the boot..it still shows.. There you go Bob.

I understand the MGW has a big fan base...but I am not a fan. That's all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread