MGW Shifter

RossSVT

Established Member
You will love the feel and quality of this shifter. It is the best avalible.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
crowley, the shifter handle has been revised to eliminate the nut by using a split handle with two allen bolts to tighten it around the shaft. the system looks very strong. mabye george can put a pic of the revised handle on. am going to install the shifter next week, i have a few other things to do and probably will just make a weekend of it richard

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
I didnt have any problems, just didnt pull hard enough to get the metal ring out in the first place...everything went back together fine...im gonna double check it this weekend, all though it drove fine yesterday...very detailed instructions :thumbsup:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I need to order one before I start going to the track, but I have just spent all of my money for a short while. I have everything on order that will pretty much complete my car except for a whipple. But I may just go with a ported blower and be done with it.

Last edited:

Sonic Snake

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
i ordered mine yesterday with the red handle
I put mine in last week. Super easy install. The more I use it, the more I like it. Thanks MGW! :beer:

..and George, your instructions are very clear.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
put mine in tonight. all i can say is good job george. most well built piece i've ever seen. i had a tri ax and the mgw shifts better, feels stronger, shorter throw, better built and really is quieter than my stock shifter. it is flawless.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
BIGV said:
When I spoke to George he told me I could either use the stops or not. The t-56 has its own internal stops that is why shifter stops are not needed this comes from George. I still used mine better safe then sorry.

What is the optimal way to set the stops?? What I mean is, how do you set the stops so that it's both safe for the transmission and good for performance??

P.S. I've never set any shifter stops before.

RossSVT

Established Member
I installed the retro-fit springs last evening and took the stops out all together. The T-56 does have internal stops and you don't need them. The factory shifter does not have external stops. It is safe to eliminate the stops and be done with it.

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
im curious to see who used the gasket vs the sealant? I used the sealant and it does seem a little quieter, but not too much...

btw--quality is excellent and instructions are very clear, like I said, I just didnt pull hard enough on the ring :beer:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i used the gasket. i had a cobrabob gasket on my tri ax/t45 combo and it silenced it quite a bit. not to mention the sealant is messy and makes it harder then hell to remove the shifter.

RossSVT

Established Member
I changed out the original shifter with a Pro 50 and bought one of CobraBob's gaskets and loved it. It was nice to see the George from MGW included one with the shifter. I used the gasket also.

ta2d1

---->HI
Established Member
just received mine looks pretty straight foward and well written instructions. just want to say thanks to mgw for finding out what was taking so long for UPS to deliver it. apparently 1" of snow stops them in there tracks.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i paid for 2 day shipping and got mine the next day. i ordered friday, she said they would ship monday, i got it yesterday. MGW is great to do business with.

03BlkSVT

Established Member
Has anyone recieved the new shifter springs from MGW? Mine came unexpectedly in the mail. The instructions on installing them are great, but I haven't had a chance to try them out. Just wondering if anyone else has gotten the updated springs and tried them :shrug:

RossSVT

Established Member
How are you 03BlkSVT! Got mine in 2 days ago. Simple install and they do make a difference. I think you will like the feel.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
just put my shifter in, 45 minute install, works GREAT! thanks george! i used the gasket, removed the stops, red handle, it is very short, positive, and quick. i torqued the shifter hold down bolts to 20 ft lbs in three increments 10-15-20. i put a triax in our gt t3650 5 speed last year and it is not near as quiet or positive

03BlkSVT

Established Member
RossSVT said:
How are you 03BlkSVT! Got mine in 2 days ago. Simple install and they do make a difference. I think you will like the feel.

I'm just fine Ross SVT. I haven't had a chance to put mine in yet, but if they make a difference as you say I will definitely try them out. Its just kind of hard to believe this shifter could be any better :)

Users who are viewing this thread