MGW shifter popping out of first gear

phfelts

Established Member
Hey guys, I've got the 2014 revision of the MGW shifter and since installing it I'm having issues with it popping out of first gear. The only thing I can think of is maybe the reverse lockout is set too tight, but I was wondering if any of you guys have had this issue. Thanks!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Hey guys, I've got the 2014 revision of the MGW shifter and since installing it I'm having issues with it popping out of first gear. The only thing I can think of is maybe the reverse lockout is set too tight, but I was wondering if any of you guys have had this issue. Thanks!

Your thought is correct, you need to adjust the reverse lockout pin.

hand-filer

Established Member
Your thought is correct, you need to adjust the reverse lockout pin.

Did the early design have this reverse lockout adjustment feature? I don't remember adjusting anything when I installed it. I have #50 from the first batch with the original boot. No issues whatsoever with mine. I adhere to the k.i.s.s. philosophy. Sometimes too much refinement can be well.....too much.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Did the early design have this reverse lockout adjustment feature? I don't remember adjusting anything when I installed it. I have #50 from the first batch with the original boot. No issues whatsoever with mine. I adhere to the k.i.s.s. philosophy. Sometimes too much refinement can be well.....too much.

I don't recall if they did.

phfelts

Established Member

I don't know either, but in the 2014 revision install video they make a strong point that you adjust it. IMO it was hard to tell when it was properly adjusted. I still haven't taken the car for a ride yet, but will do that soon. If it still does it then I think some misplaced dynomat on the shifter arm might be the cause. The guys at MGW were quick to respond, but I had already double checked that I took out the old front bushing and that the new bushings were seated properly. I suppose I should go ahead and take the car for a spin right now!

hand-filer

Established Member
They are a great company to deal with; George is a perfectionist. Let us know how it all works out.

I don't know either, but in the 2014 revision install video they make a strong point that you adjust it. IMO it was hard to tell when it was properly adjusted. I still haven't taken the car for a ride yet, but will do that soon. If it still does it then I think some misplaced dynomat on the shifter arm might be the cause. The guys at MGW were quick to respond, but I had already double checked that I took out the old front bushing and that the new bushings were seated properly. I suppose I should go ahead and take the car for a spin right now!

phfelts

Established Member
So far I've adjusted the reverse lockout, but that wasn't the issue. The heat shield seemed like it could have been causing some problems with clearance. I took it off as well but I'm still having the same issue. I've been pushing the stick into gear with a little more grunt, and that seems to stop it, but there's still something off. I'm gonna put the car back on a lift Tuesday and pull the lower box plate off and make sure the bushing are set up right. I think I'm gonna pull the console and dust boot off again to see if I can find any other places that are binding while I'm riding around.

George has been very helpful so far. The shop I was working in was pretty loud, so I'm guessing I missed some small step while going through the install video. Hopefully I can track down the problem soon so I can move on to what's next on the list!

Users who are viewing this thread