MGW Shifter Install & First Impressions vs Pro 5.0

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
So I recently installed the MGW after removing the Pro 5.0. My main complaint with the Pro 5.0 is that 3rd gear was a reach and sometimes hit the radio and the pro 5.0 was very loud in terms of transmission noise and notch into gear.

So far the MGW is smoother, more adjustable, and throws seems much shorter. I am still playing around witht he shifter and adjusting it to my liking but so far I like it.

I am excited to try the shifter with the anti venom mod and new clutch when those go in after the VMP TVS install.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I really like my MGW shifter. That was the first mod I did to my car after the seat covers. What clutch are you going with?

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Spec 3+ 26 Spline with low pedal option. Was thinking about McLeod but Spec 3+ seems best bang for the buck. Also going with 26 Spline input shaft.

cmac29

Established Member
I've had both my old spec 3+ was 10 spline and soooo stiff. When I upgraded to the liberty 26 spline input shaft, titanium bearing retainer, new pilot bearing, frpp billet flywheel, firewall adjustable cable and aluminum quadrant I went with the McLeod RXT twin disc. Some may disagree but best clutch I've ever had. Zero chatter and pedal feels like a hydraulic Honda civic. My mom could drive my car after I put that clutch in and she weighed 90lbs soak and wet. There are many many many clutch debates on here but to me it's the RXT hands down. I also had a pro 5.0 shifter and switched to the tri ax and I like it but I have never tried the MGW.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Gamer2Cars

For the Horse
Established Member
I have a 3+ with the low pedal option and it is amazing. My wife likes driving my Cobra more than hers now because the clutch is smooth and easy.

golfer11689

Established Member
I recently had my old MGW Shifter rebuilt but being in Massachusetts means I can't drive it just yet. I went with the Standard handle but ended up lowering it to feel more like the race shifter. I've always loved the feel of MGW and now that I can pivot the new handle closer to the driver side I can only assume it will be even better.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I got rid of my pro 5.0 shifter for a MGW also with the standard handle. Definitely a noticeable improvement.

Black2010

Established Member
Looking forward to getting mine in as I just ordered one. I bought both the standard and comfort handle. For $15 I felt it was worth the cost to be able to play with things. Going from a stock shifter now so I'm betting it's going to be a big change.

delly

Established Member
Anybody wanna buy a pro 5.0 shifter? I have one used 75 bucks shipped. Thx.

nxhappy

Established Member
I just bought the "comfort" one, I can't wait to get rid of the stocker !

PS- here is a coupon for 5% off: MGWSVTP2015

Lylesr33

Established Member
Spec 3+ 26 Spline with low pedal option. Was thinking about McLeod but Spec 3+ seems best bang for the buck. Also going with 26 Spline input shaft.
I installed a 26 spline input shaft and a spec 3+ about a month ago. I didn't get the low pedal option but I'm happy so far with it. I also have the MGW shifter and like it pretty well. My clutch actually feels lighter now than it did when stock.

Users who are viewing this thread