MGW Shift Handle Review

DaveSVT03

Established Member
Well I'll start with the order/customer service review - excellent. I ordered on Sunday via the internet, called Monday to make a change to my order (add an eject lighter) and received the package on Tues. Everything was in the box including clear instructions for the install.

Went out and installed the shifter in about 15 minutes. Easy install - all parts appear to be very well made and fit dead on.

Test drive - I installed mine with the curved backward and fully extended position. It makes a big difference in "the reach" to top gears (1,3,5) - I didn't realize how big of a pain it is to reach those gears until I didn't have to do it anymore. I also used the "lower" noise rubber insolator and still noticed an improvement in the feel of the shift. Overall, I give this the product the following one sentance summation - "you can't beat the improvement for $35". I had planned to go to an aftermarket shifter (had a Steeda in my 01), but this really makes enough improvement that I may leave it stock now.

Only draw back is learning to adjust to the new position of the knob in each gear. Well time to go out for a drive and learn the new knob postions - still don't feel right, but I'm sure I'll adjust quickly.

Last edited:

Video

Established Member
I love mine also, but It is a bit noisey over stock...not that that matters to me, but beware that the handle will increase tranny noise through the shifter....other than that, I agree, the best 30 bucks I ever spent!! Rgds...

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
MGW makes a hell of a product. I was very impressed with the piece I recieved from them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm using the MGW handle on the stock shifter myself. I have no complaints. Better feel and reach is the biggest plus with this item.

03DOHC

Established Member
Yes, it's definately a good piece. Best 35 bucks I ever spent.:thumbsup:

jshen

Established Member
Got mine today

Noticed two set screws for steel rod rather than one. Nice powder coated finish...I can't wait to install. Once I get it to my liking...I will use a little locktite to keep screws set.

GreySnake

Established Member
I had very much the same experience. It was quite a bit noisier when I installed it, however I think I am both used to it and the plastic around the shifter has quieted down some....worn in, so to speak. I just went with the washers too.

Heck, it could be that it's so warm, I've been driving around with the windows down and I don't notice the noise anymore. I don't use the A/C much, like to hear the engine and exhaust!
:lol:

bosscobra

Established Member
My MGW handle is bolted to a 5.0 and they are both very nice products......I would highly recommend them. I have NOT heard any increase in shifter noise.:rolling:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
The MGW results in more tranny noise because there's a lot less rubber insulation in comparison to the stock shifter. This is also providing more solid and accurate shifting.

If the noise bothers you, just place some packing foam around and on the shifter (beneath the center console cover). You'll be surprised at the difference.

MGW RULES... One of the best, if not the best, vendors discussed on this forum.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Love mine, mounted on stock linkage with just the 2 small washers. Only downside with losing all that rubber in the stock lever is sometimes getting a sore hand or wrist when shifting quickly, as there's no "give" left in the system. Also, when mounted with handle pointed back to driver to bring knob closer, the stock knob is not so comfortable, as you tend to get the stitches in your hand. A round knob without stitches would be nice in that respect, but I don't know of any leather ones- just aluminum or plastic.

Sin

Established Member
I've got all their stuff in satin silver....I cant say enough about how awesome it is. The only permanent discount I know of is 10% with the SVTOA membership from the dealer.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
Love mine, mounted on stock linkage with just the 2 small washers. Only downside with losing all that rubber in the stock lever is sometimes getting a sore hand or wrist when shifting quickly, as there's no "give" left in the system. Also, when mounted with handle pointed back to driver to bring knob closer, the stock knob is not so comfortable, as you tend to get the stitches in your hand. A round knob without stitches would be nice in that respect, but I don't know of any leather ones- just aluminum or plastic.

You would like the MGW shifter knob... It is very comfortable, and one version has a great image of a Cobra's head....

POINTCOVER

Established Member
I currently have the Pro 5.0 Shifter installed. But now I'm seriously considering going back to stock shifter plus the MGW handle. Has anyone done this yet? or can anyone compare the two shifters from first hand experience?

DaveSVT03

Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
Also, when mounted with handle pointed back to driver to bring knob closer, the stock knob is not so comfortable, as you tend to get the stitches in your hand. A round knob without stitches would be nice in that respect, but I don't know of any leather ones- just aluminum or plastic.

I just discovered the same thing over the last day or so. I think I will change to a round knob of some type.

Users who are viewing this thread