MGW loctite shift knob bolt

IcE

Established Member
EDIT: I think maybe it is the SET screw that comes out with the shift knob when I screw the shift knob off? I am assuming it is standard threaded. The loose shift knob could also be from the factory plastic insert potentially being broken too.

I installed the MGW about a year ago and my stock shift knob has always been a bit loose. (easy to turn left or right in my hand and off center when its tight) I am afraid of muscling it into place because I am unsure if that will strip the bolt that goes into the actual MGW shift handle. Another problem is that everytime I remove the shift knob to get it straight the bolt from the MGW handle comes out and stays in the shift knob. This causes me to have to use an allen wrench and take the bolt off the shift knob before poking it through the boot and screwing it back down into the MGW handle.

So I was wondering does muscling it into place put the MGW handle at risk of stripping or just the shift knob itself and was also wondering if anyone ever had this problem with the bolt coming out with the shift knob. Was not sure if I should apply loctite and try to prevent that from happening.

Might be time for an aftermarket MGW shift knob and locking nut :bash:

Last edited:

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
I'm no MGW expert or anything, but I wouldn't muscle into it. Try some blue loctite first. If that doesn't hold, switch to the red. But that's just my idea.

IcE

Established Member
Call George at MGW first.

Yeah that is probably the best option, didn't even really think of that ironically.

I'm no MGW expert or anything, but I wouldn't muscle into it. Try some blue loctite first. If that doesn't hold, switch to the red. But that's just my idea.

I was afraid of muscling into it, I turned it 1/2-3/4 of a turn when it first got pretty tight and its a little better now but I forget how tight the knob was on the stock shifter. Plastic insert may be broken too.

None of you guys have had the actual bolt come out still screwed into the shift knob?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Yep
Same problem after I installed mine. It was loose in the position where I wanted it and when I tried to make another full turn the boot tries to turn with the knob.
Loctite fixed it for the last 4 years!

Users who are viewing this thread