Methanol, what are your thoughts?

SVTshelby

Established Member
im about 99% sure im going to do a methnol kit on my '09 gt500. i just have a few questions..

1) is it safe? i will do the snow kit with the "safe injection" but the car is my DD. (im not worried about spending money on washerfluid)

2) this is the most basic... Is it worht it? my car has the 2.6 upper and is about to have the 15% overdrive pulley from evolution so it will be making alot of heat.

Im not looking to make crazy improvements with the Methanol just trying to help KEEP THE CAR COOL. i live in Tennesse and its 90+ in the summer with 80% and higher humidity....needless to say the shelby gets hot haha. Any advice/opinions/comments would be appreciated.

thanks in advance! :beer:

rodfarva

Established Member
I've seen my downstream air temps drop about 8-10 degrees with my Snow meth injection kit with 50/50 meth/water.

tj4891

Established Member
meth

i was wondering the same thing, couldn't find much on the topic:read::read:

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
I have been running an AIS trunk mount set up for 4 years and have had excellent results. I run 100% methanol thru a dual nozzle setup that is tapped directly into the supercharger. I run a 2.2 upper with a 10% lower, car makes 635rwhp and 659rwtrq on 92 octane pump gas, stock pumps are at 39% duty cycle, A/F is a very safe 11.0-11.2, and timing is at 23 degrees IMO no need to do a costly e85 conversion. I bracket race the car all summer and it's pretty consistent with the meth and a trunk mount 5.5 gal innercooler tank. I would recommend a dual nozzle setup if your looking for max. cooling, you don't have to tap your supercharger, injecting into your CAI works fine. I know alot of guys go with the Snow setup but give Rodney a call at Alchohol Injection Systems he will take the time to answer all your questions. I highly recommend a trunk mount system or at least a large capacity front mount system as you will go thru the meth when your on it with a dual nozzle system.

crazyrifle

Established Member
I have been running an AIS trunk mount set up for 4 years and have had excellent results. I run 100% methanol thru a dual nozzle setup that is tapped directly into the supercharger. I run a 2.2 upper with a 10% lower, car makes 635rwhp and 659rwtrq on 92 octane pump gas, stock pumps are at 39% duty cycle, A/F is a very safe 11.0-11.2, and timing is at 23 degrees IMO no need to do a costly e85 conversion. I bracket race the car all summer and it's pretty consistent with the meth and a trunk mount 5.5 gal innercooler tank. I would recommend a dual nozzle setup if your looking for max. cooling, you don't have to tap your supercharger, injecting into your CAI works fine. I know alot of guys go with the Snow setup but give Rodney a call at Alchohol Injection Systems he will take the time to answer all your questions. I highly recommend a trunk mount system or at least a large capacity front mount system as you will go thru the meth when your on it with a dual nozzle system.

does the methanol injection to twin screw supercharger caus any rust or harm to it ?

CPRsm

does the methanol injection to twin screw supercharger caus any rust or harm to it ?
Nope. A lot guys who run the big blowers actually run their engines over rich becauset he exrta fuel gets the rotors to seal better and create more boost. EFI does not have the same effect because the fuel is added after the rotors.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Stieggy has had my blower apart and it shows no sign of extra wear or rust. I have been racing this car for over 4 years and have put 30 or 40 gals. of straight methonol thru the blower and motor with zero issues.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
For the 03/04 Cobra's to show gains the meth has to be after the IC in the lower manifold. If the air going into the blower is colder than the IC the IC will heat it up making it the same regardless. Nitrous doesn't even help with lowering IAT2's or downstreams. There are some good threads in the Terminator section here and also over on modularfords.com discussing it.

You can also see some Tuners change their minds because the threads were started in the early years (like 2006-07) and those tuners said what I said above. As of now it's starting to show the gains but from injecting it after the IC.

rdsnk46

Established Member
For the 03/04 Cobra's to show gains the meth has to be after the IC in the lower manifold. If the air going into the blower is colder than the IC the IC will heat it up making it the same regardless. Nitrous doesn't even help with lowering IAT2's or downstreams. There are some good threads in the Terminator section here and also over on modularfords.com discussing it.

You can also see some Tuners change their minds because the threads were started in the early years (like 2006-07) and those tuners said what I said above. As of now it's starting to show the gains but from injecting it after the IC.
Posi, I'm not sure I'm catching your drift.....

I use nitrous and by spraying it into the throttle body I'm lowering the amibiant inlet temperature. By lowering the ambiant intake temps, naturally my IAT-2/downstream will be lower. Make any sense.

I spray a 75 shot, I see 15* lower IAT-2 KB 2.8H

I spray a 100 shot I see 20* lower IAT-2 also +1 psi of boost KB 3.6LC

My IC temps never see 125* with the Revan Racing H/E, maybe the 03/04 H/E's are not nearly as good as the Revan Racing I use. What unit do you have for your results. I can hot lap my car 3 times and stick my finger in the H/E resi. and the water is like 100* tops by the time I get back to the pits.

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
What if your already running a bigger HE with fans and the blower is LC ?

Much different results Rob! I have the data to support it. I dont think comparing the 03/04 cobras to the GT500 is really a good comparison because our cooling products are far better.

Alot of friends I know use meth at one time or another but E-85 is becoming very popular and although it's a pricey conversion. Most I know have made the switch and are very happy. S/C's are not the way in the south, turbo is the choice and most go E-85 to combat heat and increase oct. I hope my insight has shead some light on your quest to battle the ever present force against H.P., HEAT!!!!!!

Last edited:

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Usually the roots/screws style blowers don't see much of a change because the heat the blower creates will negate the cooling effect of the meth....If you could inject it after blower some how I think the effects would be great. For it to do anything before the blower it would take a large amount of Meth to do the job. It works great on a centrifical blower or straight turbo car. Good luck though....I think topic has been brought up plenty of times with no great data or results!!!

Users who are viewing this thread