Metco Lower Install

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I would try it as is. You have an excellent setup now. By introducing the other 2 pulleys, without it being necessary, you can just cause more headaches for yourself. The larger idlers are spinning 11% faster than the stock ones, which may or may not be significant. I don't thing you would benefit very much, if any, by adding the 2 other larger idlers. The net effect would be that you would move the belt 5mm closer to the 3rd idler and add just a tiny amount of additional belt wrap. The larger idler below the 3rd idler will have no effect on belt slippage at all, only the one to the left of the new 3rd idler. The 100mm left idler may not fit with your combination either. (The belt may rub on itself.) You may be limited to a 92 mm idler, which Doug also has.

In brief, try it like it is and see what happens.

Dana

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I just saw the pics of your install. You better forget the larger lower idlers. They are not going to fit. Maybe a 92 mm, that's all.

Don't forget, those belts are moving in opposite directions at that point and also whipping around when you change engine speed suddenly too.

Dana

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Dana,

Are u having any type of trouble with the Lower Pulley? Such as Fuel Pump issues?

Thinking of the 6lbs lower & think that maybe i should go with the 3.00upper vs the 2.80upper right?

I have the 2 x 100 Metco Idlers so not sure if i would have to go back with the stockers or not.

Appreciate ur thoughts.

:beer:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I'm not having any problems directly related to the lower pulley.

I am running out of fuel pump though. I have ordered a B A P and will install that to kick up the fuel availability under extreme loads.
At the HP level I'm currently at, the pump driver is maxing out (50) and the pressure is dropping below 30 PSI.
I also have 50 pound injectors installed. Plus the nitrous.

I'm really not sure what you're getting at, but if you are asking about removing the 100 mm idlers, I wouldn't. There is no reason to do that. They are compatible with any upper pulley you run.
The 3rd idler (92mm) should also fit with the 3.0, if you have it.
The 6# lower and 3.0 upper is a good combo.

Let me know if I can help with anything else or this didn't answer your question.

Dana

FoMoCoDave

Established Member
Mecto lower pulley grooves

The puley grooves on my metco lower do not come to a point at the top as my upper does. The are flat at the top of the grooves. It looks as if the belt wears into the lower and then begins to slip on the upper. Any know if this is supposed to be this way. Is anyone else's lower grooves flat on the top.

Dave

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
I'm not having any problems directly related to the lower pulley.

I am running out of fuel pump though. I have ordered a B A P and will install that to kick up the fuel availability under extreme loads.
At the HP level I'm currently at, the pump driver is maxing out (50) and the pressure is dropping below 30 PSI.
I also have 50 pound injectors installed. Plus the nitrous.

I'm really not sure what you're getting at, but if you are asking about removing the 100 mm idlers, I wouldn't. There is no reason to do that. They are compatible with any upper pulley you run.
The 3rd idler (92mm) should also fit with the 3.0, if you have it.
The 6# lower and 3.0 upper is a good combo.

Let me know if I can help with anything else or this didn't answer your question.

Dana

So would you suggest to the folks that go to the 6lb and the 8lb lower go to the boost a pump. And how can you tell them if there having problems with fuel pressure to add one. Where did you purchase yours.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
So would you suggest to the folks that go to the 6lb and the 8lb lower go to the boost a pump. And how can you tell them if there having problems with fuel pressure to add one. Where did you purchase yours.
You don't necessarily have to go to a BAP just because of the pulley size. I did it because of the reduced fuel rail pressure. I am at the 550HP level now and there just isn't enough fuel with the stock pump/injector setup.
The easiest way to determine if more fuel is needed is to data log the fuel rail pressure and fuel pump duty cycle also monitor the A/F ratio on the dyno or while driving. HP takes fuel, and you can only get so many HP from the stock setup. The general concensus is 525 to 550 on the stock system.
I used the AutoTap to record the information.

Don at Modular Madness is one of the Good Guys and a KB dealer. Talk to him. That is where I got mine from. Not too bad to install either.
I don't have a lot of data yet because a lot of stuff was happening at the end of the season besides the BAP install. Sorry. Others have reported that the BAP solved the immediate problem of fuel supply.
Hope this helps,
Dana

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
So your thought is if they stayed to the stock injectors size they are in the lets say ok to the margininal field. Basically it is calling on to much of the system at high limit of what it can do. How much is the BAP for those that add it. Also there is mention of all the problems with the fuelpressure regulator. Did you address that also? Just seem like a good thread to ask these questions for people that increase to the 6 and 8 lb.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
So your thought is if they stayed to the stock injectors size they are in the lets say ok to the margininal field. Basically it is calling on to much of the system at high limit of what it can do.
You can run out of fuel with the stock injectors also, so that shouldn't be a deciding factor (whether the stock injectors are still in use). It is much more likely to need more fuel with larger injectors, so you are accurate to a point. The rest would hinge on the other mods done to the motor. For example, adding a KB or ProCharger to the picture. You can run stock injectors with either, but you are definitely going to run out of fuel on top.
How much is the BAP for those that add it.
I think around $250, but call Don and ask for sure. I don't remember exactly.
Also there is mention of all the problems with the fuelpressure regulator. Did you address that also?
No, all I can do at this point is hope it holds out and carry a spare. :) It went out on me once and I had to be towed home. No damage was done, not that I'm aware of anyway. I don't know if Ford has addressed this problem with a revised part.
Just seem like a good thread to ask these questions for people that increase to the 6 and 8 lb.
Actually that amount of boost increase can be handled by the stock system, provided it's addressed in the chip.
BTW, I don't really think that too many people are actually seeing 6#'s from a 6# lower or 8#'s from an 8# lower. According to Metco, those #'s are based on a COMPLETELY stock system. They are still on the low side even after Metco revised their pulley sizes.

Dana

akaeric

Established Member
I think I'm keeping miy car the way it is. I never saw so much trouble to replace springs it reminds me of all the lift kits I installed on my 4x4s when I was younger. Plus my car wouldn't make it up my driveway its to steep.

SinfulStang

Established Member
So if I do an upper or lower for 4lbs extra, I am going to need an idler kit. And with an idler kit I cant have the blower cover on??
Also the upper and lower for 4lbs will do the same thing, but upper for 4lbs will slip a bit more and lower will run accessories faster?
Thanks a lot

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
I just got done doing this but just for belt and pulley replacement. Nice write up. If anyone needs replacement pulleys for the inner drivebelt you can get them from Dayco(Part #89051) or get bearings from Doug and have them pressed in. The part no. should be correct. It is for a 76mm pulley - 6 groove and seems to be working for me. NO MORE SQUEAKS!!

RANDYRAMIREZ

[IMG]http://i26.photobuck
Established Member
This is a great write up. I was originaly going to pay someone to do this but after reading this i think im going to be tackling this myself. I also didn't see any pictures either.

Users who are viewing this thread