Metco Lower Advantages

aCiD

Established Member
What are the advantages of using a Metco lower over the OEM?

Planning on a 3.4 Whipple in the mid-20 psi range. Trying to decide if I need one.

Quick Strike

Established Member
There won't be any with a 3.4L SC. The lower helps smaller blowers turn faster with less slip. The lower allows the upper to remain the same size or slightly smaller and still maintain more surface contact area (and less slip) on the larger upper pulley while turning the blower faster.

Digital

Established Member
There won't be any with a 3.4L SC. The lower helps smaller blowers turn faster with less slip. The lower allows the upper to remain the same size or slightly smaller and still maintain more surface contact area (and less slip) on the larger upper pulley while turning the blower faster.

Pretty much this. It's only effective at maintaining a larger upper blower pulley so you can keep belt slip down and run more boost.

Also on a side note are we competing for longer text sig quick strike?

SlowSVT

Established Member
The "disadvantage" is the loss of the pulley support where the #1 main bearing is now taking up the side loads imposed by the blower and all the accessories that go along with it.

aCiD

Established Member
OK, that's what I thought guys but I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks a lot!

So ideally I would be bolting a stock caged pulley on to an Innovator West balancer? If so I will do that.

Jroc

Established Member
I thought a aftermarket lower was suppose to generally make better torque PSI for PSI compared to an upper change. :shrug:

I do a agree that the lose of the support bracket is a negative. If you do go the aftermarket lower route don't get too aggressive with using a overly tight belt setup.

aCiD

Established Member
I won't use the lower Metco system based on the feedback and logic here. The blower is capable of generating the air volume I need while still having a reasonably sized pulley on it. I don't want to run the blower very hard.

There's also a possibility I could be going 4L as well, so I will need the extra support on the lower.

Quick Strike

Established Member
So ideally I would be bolting a stock caged pulley on to an Innovator West balancer? If so I will do that.

Just make sure to get the dampner that is made for the stock pulley cage. They have many that fit the 4.6 and 5.4. Some are for non-SC engines, some are for the stock cage and some are for the Metco rings.

Swervedriver

Established Member
There have been issues with big torque from big blowers actually tightening the center bolt pulling the crank and ruining the thrust bearing and even cracking blocks. So if you stick with the stock lower, weld that center bolt so it can't get spun.

That won't be an issue with the metco setup but then there is nothing supporting the crank snout.

aCiD

Established Member
Just make sure to get the dampner that is made for the stock pulley cage. They have many that fit the 4.6 and 5.4. Some are for non-SC engines, some are for the stock cage and some are for the Metco rings.

Yea, I've been looking at the proper IW one, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread