Metco Aux idler install issue

jshababy23

Established Member
IMG_3878.JPG
IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3880.JPG
Hi all!

I'm in the process of putting a metco 4
Piece idler kit on my 03. Everything went on mostly ok until I got to the aux idler. Metcos 's directions call for me to use the stock 13mm bolt that was originally on a stud, over which the aux idler now sits. After placing the aux idler over said stud I'm unable to thread the 13mm bolt back on to the stud.

I'm not sure what to do from here and any help would be appreciated. I've included some pictures because I know my explanation of the issue is crap.

As a side note, i surprisingly couldn't find a belt length guide that included the metco 4 piece set with 3 100mm idlers and 1 90mm idler with a 2.80 upper and stock lower, so if anyone knows the proper size for that or can point me to a guide with that setup listed it would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have the stock supercharger pulley with your set up and I run a 2 inch longer belt than stock and it fits perfect.

My guess is you will need a longer stud. Your stud looks short for some reason.

jshababy23

Established Member
Awesome guy thanks for the input. Do y'all know where I could get a longer stud? Maybe it was just cold out and it was a little shorter than normal lol

MG0h3

Established Member
I usually try autozone or whatever on my way to Home Depot for stuff like that. Hit or miss.

Or look around on the engine for a longer one that you can swap out.

Beavis281

Established Member
Your stud does look short. I did mine a month ago. Sorry for such a dark picture. It's all I had.
3af35a530a55d12f7babef73d6d1c23a.jpg

jshababy23

Established Member
IMG_3893.JPG
Alright. Got the lug stud removed and searched everywhere for a replacement with no luck. Does anyone know where I can pick one up? If not I'll just try swapping it out with another one. Picture attached for reference.

jshababy23

Established Member
IMG_3894.JPG
Went ahead and switched it out with another that was longer so issue resolved I believe. Thanks again everyone for your help. Hopefully the belt goes on without issue.

Does anyone need an older metco 90mm idler or stock shifter? Just pay shipping and their yours.

RonMexico

Established Member
View attachment 81389 Went ahead and switched it out with another that was longer so issue resolved I believe. Thanks again everyone for your help. Hopefully the belt goes on without issue.

Does anyone need an older metco 90mm idler or stock shifter? Just pay shipping and their yours.

Do you have a pic of the idler and shifter?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TRBO VNM

Yeah, someone changed it out. Which I would be concerned with. Hopefully you know why? Motor pulled out? Timing cover off for cam install or timing component replacement? Taking from another spot should be fine like you did, but I usually get those bolts from Ford. You won't find them at a hardware store. Not sure why that was even recommended.

Belt, your factory belt should be the right length. Using a 2.76 upper, stock lower and the idler setup you have usually uses the same size belt. a 2.8" upper pulley isn't that much bigger than a 2.76. It might be a little tighter but nothing to be concerned about.

jshababy23

Established Member
The motor has been pulled by a previous owner and the following allegedly installed:

MMR 1000 short block:
-Cast iron Ford Racing block. Torque plate bored and honed.
-4340 forged 4.75L stroker crankshaft w/micro polished journals
-4340 Manly H-beam rods. with ARP rod bolts.
-Forged Manly pistons with chromoly pins (9:1 compression)
-Total seal file fit rings
-Clevite rod and performance main bearings
-Performance racing high volume oil pump
-ARP main studs
-ARP headstuds
-MMR block side bolts

So it's certainly possible they were swapped at some point.

I appreciate the continued input and I'll update the belt size when I get it on for the next guy.

Users who are viewing this thread