Meguiars Instant Wheel Cleaner - Okay to use on factory wheels?

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
I have Meguiars Instant Wheel Cleaner sitting in my garage and I was wondering if it is okay to use on factory wheels... it states, "DO NOT USE ON UNCOATED, POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS" - that isnt us, is it?

Thanks...

Juiced-03

Established Member
It is fine to use it on our wheel! I have used acid wash on these rims before and it didnt hurt it! I am a detailer so I wouldnt tell to use it if I didnt think it was safe.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I believe our wheels actually have a clear coat covering on them so I polish them with some Race Glaze or Mothers Polish. Helps keep then cleaner longer and much easier to clean!

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
watch out... the maguiars actuall took the paint off my calipers... :( its okay, i was going to paint them anyway...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Stay away from wheel cleaners on these rims. Since there is a poly coating on the rims, it's important to avoid harsh acidic cleaners and nast things like SOS/brillo pads.

Use a decent "mild" car wax to keep your wheels shiny and new. I would recommend using Finish 2001 (a perfectly cheap and shiny cleaning wax) or Wet One. For really stubborn stains, use a fine metal polish like Blue Magic. It also leaves a silicone coating, and is gentle enough to use on painted/sealed surfaces.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Blue Poison
I don't put anything on mine but soap and water....and a coat of carnauba wax
Do you pull the wheels to wash and wax them? I just use car wash gel and water, but sooner or later you can tar, etc. that has to be removed. On my Camaro I used to pull the wheels before every Show and wash/polish them. Too much work now! LOL. But a good coat of wax will help keep them looking like new a lot longer.
:)

Orange Poison

Established Member
I just get a separate bucket ....not the one I use to wash the body of the car....and i fill it water and soap....I use a mild soap...like Mother's Car wash that is PH balanced and says on it does not remove wax and resists water spots.

I then get a wash mitt...one of those 100% cotton chenille wash mitts and stick my hand way in there with the wash mitt and move it around to get all the brake dust off. It usually takes me several buckets of changing the water and soap since the water get dirty pretty fast.

Last edited:

Matt M PA

Established Member
With the clearcoat on the non-chrome rims, you really want to treat them like you would the paint on the car itself. For tar and such, claybar works well. Any type of metal polish should be avoided.

Users who are viewing this thread