EditorTurner

Established Member
0-Shelby-GT350-Auction-Featured.jpg

Highest Bidder
You can bid on rare Shelby GT350s at Mecum Auctions in Indianapolis
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Mecum Auctions

The latest Shelby GT350s are rare machines, but the rarest of them all are the scant 137 built for the 2015 model year. If you weren’t lucky enough to score one off the dealer lot, the Mecum Auctions held this weekend in Indianapolis, Indiana, is offering you the chance to bid on the next to last one built.

“This GT350 is Shelby number F0136 and the 136th example of 137 Shelby GT350s produced for 2015. The modern take on the iconic Mustang is one of just 50 produced with the Technology Package, which is not limited to the interior comfort and connectivity…” says the auction description.

Not only is this one a well-optioned, late-production model, but its color/stripe combo is exceptionally rare among 2015s.

“This Mustang GT350 is one of four produced in Deep Impact Blue with white stripes and had its front spoiler installed at the dealership,” the description adds. “The window sticker is still affixed in its original location, all factory protective plastic is still intact, and the GT350 was delivered with 33 miles and has not been driven since.”

The 2015 is available under lot F200, but if it ends up out of your price range, Mecum is also auctioning off a black on black 2016 Shelby GT350 with the window sticker still intact under lot T210 and a black GT350R that hasn’t been driven since it was picked up at the dealer under lot F263.

The auction kicked off on Tuesday and wraps up on Saturday, so check it out if you are in the market.

UPDATE: The next to last 2015 GT350 sold for $135,000, but it looks like the black 2016 GT350 is still available as bidding stalled out around $60,000. Meanwhile, the black 2016 GT350R sold for $107,500.

1-Shelby-GT350-Auction.jpg

Would you like to own the next to last 2015 Shelby GT350 built? This example is just one of four built in Deep Impact Blue with white stripes.

2-Shelby-GT350-Auction.jpg

Sold under lot F200, this Shelby GT350 still has the plastic on the seats and only 33 miles on the clock.

3-Shelby-GT350-Auction.jpg

Even if you aren’t the highest bidder for the 2015, Mecum is also auctioning a black 2016 Shelby GT350 with the window sticker still in place. There is also a 2016 GT350R with the Electronics Package up for auction at Mecum in Indy.

noldevin

Established Member
Why on earth would anyone pay that much for one of these when you can still get them at dealers for less (even with markup)?

BlownAway03

Established Member
Cause it's a 15. For some dumb reason they're propped up

Aren't the '15's literally limited in number as a byproduct of production on the car not starting on time. From what I understand Ford missed their mark on getting the 350 going as early and smoothly as they hoped. They then dumped a few 2015's out there instead of just starting with 2016 models. Now this seems to have become some sort of big deal. This collector mentality really seems backwards on this car. In the past, cars just ended up being sought after as time passed. With this car, people are bending over and pissing away all the potential collector money up front to buy the car. Like, if I buy a $63k R now for $140k, what is there gonna be left to make in the future? I may be off base, but just something I've pondered.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I think because the '15 owners want to be recognized as select group of a chosen few (which in essence, they are).

The masses could care less, especially with the '17 on the way and better equipped.

BlownAway03

Established Member
I think because the '15 owners want to be recognized as select group of a chosen few (which in essence, they are).

The masses could care less, especially with the '17 on the way and better equipped.

I just find it funny. Traditionally people scoff at buying a car so close to a model year changeover. And with the 2015 GT350 they were and still are clamoring to get one. I can only assume this is mostly people banking on some future collectibility at this point. But, after paying so much over sticker for one, it would seem very little profit, if any will be had down the road.

noldevin

Established Member
Aren't the '15's literally limited in number as a byproduct of production on the car not starting on time. From what I understand Ford missed their mark on getting the 350 going as early and smoothly as they hoped. They then dumped a few 2015's out there instead of just starting with 2016 models. Now this seems to have become some sort of big deal. This collector mentality really seems backwards on this car. In the past, cars just ended up being sought after as time passed. With this car, people are bending over and pissing away all the potential collector money up front to buy the car. Like, if I buy a $63k R now for $140k, what is there gonna be left to make in the future? I may be off base, but just something I've pondered.

This sums up my feelings. Most of the cars (especially the classics) that are collector cars now, were treated normally when they came out. Most owners drove them and thought nothing of it, and that's why they're rare and sought after now. With everyone trying to hoard "collector" cars now, I don't see them being worth much in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread