Mean Ol' Putty Tat

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
guess dis putty tat learned the hard way not to jack with a US Marine. :-D

Man uses chainsaw to fight mountain lion - 7/21/09 - Los Angeles-Southern California-LA Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - abc7.com

BILLINGS, Mont. (KABC) -- A Colorado man used a chainsaw to fight off a mountain lion that attacked him during a camping trip in northwestern Wyoming.

Dustin Britton was camping with his wife and two kids in the Shoshone National Forest last weekend. He says on Sunday he was alone cutting firewood about 100 feet from the campsite when he saw a 100-pound lion staring at him from some bushes. Moments later the mountain lion attacked.

Britton, a 32-year-old mechanic and ex-Marine, says he raised his 18-inch chainsaw and met the lion head-on as it pounced.

"It batted me three or four times with its front paws, and as quick as I hit it with that saw, it just turned away," Britton told the Associated Press.

He wounded the animal with the blade and it ran off. Wildlife officials later killed the animal after they say it attacked a dog that had been brought in to track it. The mountain lion was emaciated and showing signs of starvation, officials said.

Britton credits his military training for helping him fight off the lion.

LS2GTO

Established Member
So a starving animal gets killed for doing the only thing that it knows how to and that's find food? It's not like the cat went out into a populated town and started munching on people...these mofos came into it's territory and were surprised a hungry animal attacked shit.

Kinda sad.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Agreed. That's like getting pissed at a shark because it attacked you while surfing. Well shit! You were swimming in it's kitchen! Whaddaya expect?!? It should have stopped with the kitty getting buzz sawed. If it didn't learn it's lesson, the next person will hopefully be carrying a Glock 10mm.

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
I don't think he's appalled at the Marine protecting his family, but at officials for tracking it down and killing it.

in all retrospect, a wounded mountain lion can become even more dangerous than a starving one. it's already aggravated by it's injuries, and will turn on anything it can find, and for that mountain lion to be left alone, will only lead it to civilian population where it can drag a small defenseless child off and kill it.

wildlife officials did the right thing.

the only other alternative would have been to tranquilize it, patch up it's injuries let it heal, and the re-release to an isolated part of the wyoming wilderness.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I guess they figured a bullet was cheaper than all that. Kinda sucks how we're slowly squeezing them outta their own territory, then start killing them when they hunt in the same area.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
I feel bad for both parties. I love enjoying the wilderness and have encounter several bears. I'd hate to have to kill one, but I would if it came down to protecting myself.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I'm sorry the cat was starving but if he didn't have that chainsaw at the ready the story would have turned out much differently. Usually these sort of stories all you hear is how savagely mauled the victim was as the cat dragged them off into the woods by their head.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I guess they figured a bullet was cheaper than all that. Kinda sucks how we're slowly squeezing them outta their own territory, then start killing them when they hunt in the same area.

I guess reading comprehension is not being nice to you today.

if you actually READ the article it says they killed it AFTER it attacked one of their tracking dogs. They generally don't go out to kill these guys but rather to trap them and move them to a better space away from people. When the animal does not give them a choice however it gets put down. And that does not even take into account for the fact that it was a starving, wounded animal. Either one of those to alone is bad enough but when you have them in combo the animal will go way outside its behavior patterns and leave you with no choice as it did in this case.

ff500

Established Member
I don't like to read or hear about defenseless animals getting killed, regardless of the circumstances.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I don't like to read or hear about defenseless animals getting killed, regardless of the circumstances.

I can't believe all the PETA lovers in this thread.

You do realize that a mountain lion, even a sick one is far from defenseless don't you? Did you miss the part in the article that said the lion attacked one of the tracking dogs?

Kill or be killed is part of nature. I agree with you that senseless killing of animals is a crime and I don't like it either. but to ignore the fact that this animal attacked twice is silly. There is no question it would have attacked humans again and next time it would likely have turned out very differently.

Rotarded

Brap
Established Member
WTF does military training have to do with the guy fending off a mountain lion? I can barely spell military and I know that if something is trying to attack me, and I have a chainsaw, Im going to use the chainsaw in defense.

ff500

Established Member
I can't believe all the PETA lovers in this thread.

You do realize that a mountain lion, even a sick one is far from defenseless don't you? Did you miss the part in the article that said the lion attacked one of the tracking dogs?

Kill or be killed is part of nature. I agree with you that senseless killing of animals is a crime and I don't like it either. but to ignore the fact that this animal attacked twice is silly. There is no question it would have attacked humans again and next time it would likely have turned out very differently.

True to an extent RDJ, but he was probably starving because of what man is doing to this planet, we think we have the right to do what we want and upset the balance of nature, in the end we will destroy the planet and no one or thing will be left standing.

banditos

Established Member
True to an extent RDJ, but he was probably starving because of what man is doing to this planet, we think we have the right to do what we want and upset the balance of nature, in the end we will destroy the planet and no one or thing will be left standing.

I agree 100%. A few months ago a lady moves into her 500K house that borders a nature reserve, one day she takes her baby to the edge of the property that has a stream and a bear growls at them. Guess what happens to the bear? :bash:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

not arguing this at all. We have been totally irresponsible in some of our doings when it comes to the environment. That does not change the facts. when animals and humans come into this kind of contact one of them is going to lose and it HAS to be the animal. it is unfortunate but it is a fact of life.

I agree 100%. A few months ago a lady moves into her 500K house that borders a nature reserve, one day she takes her baby to the edge of the property that has a stream and a bear growls at them. Guess what happens to the bear? :bash:
I would hope they relocated the bear. link to article?

banditos

Established Member
not arguing this at all. We have been totally irresponsible in some of our doings when it comes to the environment. That does not change the facts. when animals and humans come into this kind of contact one of them is going to lose and it HAS to be the animal. it is unfortunate but it is a fact of life.

I would hope they relocated the bear. link to article?

It was in Cali and she was on the Today show, sorry no linky.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Is it okay for a mountain lion to kill a deer that wanders into its territory? Is it okay for a grizzly bear to kill a mountain lion that wanders into its territory? Is it okay for a snake to kill a rat that wanders into its territory? It sounds like all of these scenarios would bother you based on your post. The reality is that animal kill and are killed every day when paths cross. Occasionally man and animal cross where a life or lives are at stake. If that man (or woman, or child) is unarmed, the animal will usually win often resulting in the death or severe injury to the man, woman or child. If the person is armed, he or she is protecting his/her life and/or his/her loved ones. It's a simple fact of human life. Plain and simple. It isn't like this ex-Marine set out to hunt down this mountain lion with that chain saw. Paths were crossed and he did what he had to do. Sad for the mountain lion. Happy for the family that was sparred severe injury or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread