McLeod RXT question

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Just picked up my car today after replacing the McLeod RST clutch for an RXT as well as ditching the cobra jet springs for FRPP's. There's a story behind why i had to replace the clutch that i don't really wanna get into, but long story short.....never ever EVER ship a car across the country. Anyways, i've had hands on experience breaking in the RST. It drove just as smooth during the break in period as it did for the remainder of its life. Now the RXT has got me puzzled. This booger is finiky!! It has a rough and touchy engagement as well as needing higher rpm and duration of feather in order to not get any shudder. The clutch was installed by FastLane Motorsports here in NC, so those who know who they are know there's no question as to being properly installed. So basically, i'm just curious to know if others have noticed how rough it seems brand new, and does it get better after breaking in?

Thanks guys.

justablur91

Established Member
i just had a rxt installed also. it does feel a tad touchy letting off clutch and feathering gas. get alot of shudder. idk if this is normal. the shop that installed it said it was a pretty aggressive clutch.

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
Mine isn't touchy, very little chatter on initial engagement. Sounds like you might need to take it back.

shelby2

Established Member
Have the rxt, and it never had chatter nor was it touchy broke her in a little longer than need be just to be on the safe side. But it never chattered and is like the stock but with lighter pedal feel. I absolutely love it. The only problem is when it's extremely cold have to let it warm up a couple of minutes before driving.

:burnout:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I did go from their lightest flywheel to the heaviest one McLeod has. I may just be having to relearn the feel for it.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Running a RXT. No issues, no chatter, feels like stock with a whole lot more grip.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Proto - Did they install the correct slave cylinder? The OEM 07-09 clutches aren't as "deep" as the '10-13 clutch. And the aftermarket clutches share a similar depth to the 07-09 clutches. So you have to run the matching slave. Here is a thread on this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/898235-rxt-car.html#post12507476

A lighter flywheel should feel more smooth.

Yes, they replaced the existing 07-09 slave cylinder with a new 07-09.

Drove it more today and its 100x better.

Sent from my huge ass SAMSUNG NOTE using tapatalk 2

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Day 3. 250 miles of city in so far. Drives wonderful! Once it bores its groves into the flywheel and floater, its a whole new clutch. Drives great

Sent from my huge ass SAMSUNG NOTE using tapatalk 2

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
The RXT is a great clutch, but you do have to let them break in for a few miles to smooth out. Like you experienced, once the ceramic material is set, it drives great and will take some abuse as well.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the RXT but Fastlane did not do the install. It was done at a local shop here and they know what they are doing as well. Fastlane did however install cams and tuned my car and I too experienced what you are talking about. I just thought it was the tune. It never dawned on me that it might be the clutch. I have about 500 miles on it now and it is still a little touchy to drive. If I don't hit the gas/clutch combo just right the car will shut off. It just took me some time to relearn the car.

But on another note. We just had our first track day with the new Magnum xl 6 speed and RXT clutch setup. At the end of the day the clutch is making a noise at engagement. I will describe it as a rough feel and sound. It is no longer smooth and quiet while letting out on the clutch. It still holds under power and doesn't feel like it is slipping but the noise and feel has defiantly changed. Need to talk to McLeod to see what might be going on. "This was the first time the clutch was hit on after the break in period.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have the RXT but Fastlane did not do the install. It was done at a local shop here and they know what they are doing as well. Fastlane did however install cams and tuned my car and I too experienced what you are talking about. I just thought it was the tune. It never dawned on me that it might be the clutch. I have about 500 miles on it now and it is still a little touchy to drive. If I don't hit the gas/clutch combo just right the car will shut off. It just took me some time to relearn the car.

But on another note. We just had our first track day with the new Magnum xl 6 speed and RXT clutch setup. At the end of the day the clutch is making a noise at engagement. I will describe it as a rough feel and sound. It is no longer smooth and quiet while letting out on the clutch. It still holds under power and doesn't feel like it is slipping but the noise and feel has defiantly changed. Need to talk to McLeod to see what might be going on. "This was the first time the clutch was hit on after the break in period.

Keep us posted

Blackmax

Established Member
I've had RXT for 2 years and beat the crap out of it,way smoother than stock. Fast Lane or any other shops make mistakes, only human.

Users who are viewing this thread