Mcleod RXT install question. Not about the pivot ball I promise

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Guys-

Seems like a lot of guys here run the RXT so I'm hoping someone can help out.

I started the install on my RXT tonight. I have a Fidanza F/W I just replaced the friction surface on so I'm gtg. I install the bottom disc and adaptor ring. Step 5 states- "Make sure bottom disc is free to rotate without any drag"

Obviously, this is almost impossible given the close distance between the F/W and floater plate. So, the disc is contacting when turning. It is not pinched or stuck, and spins freely.

I got on Mcleod's web site looking for some tech help and found this artice on an RXT install-

McLeod Racing - Stang TV Shows How to Install a RXT Twin Disc

"After installing bottom disc and floater plate, use a feeler gauge to check the clearance between them. .020-.025 should just slip in between. The bottom disc should just turn by hand with little front to back movement. This is checked with the flywheel turned up on its edge not lying flat, if too much gap is present (over .025) the floater will push the top disc into the pressure plate, eliminating release. If there is not enough release (less than .020) the bottom disc will drag on the flywheel and floater, and it will not release."

So, I have about .030 clearance between the disc and floater plate. My question is, run it? I wanted to have this done this weekend, and Mcleod is closed until Monday.

Torch04RedSnake

Established Member
Mine had very slight drag, my instructions that came with mine didnt state anything about how much of a gap, it just stated "free to spin". 1k miles later and ive had no issues. A proper break in is key though.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
I know it's later, just checking.

LOL, when I searched before buying the clutch, and again tonight about this all that came up was about adjusting the damn pivot ball.

Mine had very slight drag, my instructions that came with mine didnt state anything about how much of a gap, it just stated "free to spin". 1k miles later and ive had no issues. A proper break in is key though.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not pinched and spinning free. The measurement came from the install article, not directly from Mcleod so I don't really know what to think, though they posted it on their web site.

rudycobra

Established Member
LOL, when I searched before buying the clutch, and again tonight about this all that came up was about adjusting the damn pivot ball.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not pinched and spinning free. The measurement came from the install article, not directly from Mcleod so I don't really know what to think, though they posted it on their web site.

Same here I remember the free part but nothing about chkn tolerances . Mine is great after maybe 1500 miles . I'd do it would not have the patience to wait till Monday but that's me lol

Rudy

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Same here I remember the free part but nothing about chkn tolerances . Mine is great after maybe 1500 miles . I'd do it would not have the patience to wait till Monday but that's me lol

Rudy

No kidding. More and more downtime.

The last thing I want is a thousand dollar bill to go up in smoke.

Any one else?

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Well, tried to finish up everything this weekend.

With the stock pivot ball, I had no clearence with the TOB to the PP. I was actually contacting it, and the weight on the fork was hitting on a bolt on the trans case.

I removed the weight, and tried the Lakewood adjustable pivot ball but the ball is just too short. To get enough of the ball threaded into the trans it's approx 10+mm shorter than the factory and the fork doesn't want to slip over due to the retaining clips hitting the jam nut on the ball.

I just wanted to report my findings, hopefully it helps someone in the process. I'm going to order the McLeod ball and give that a try this week.

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
Well, tried to finish up everything this weekend.

With the stock pivot ball, I had no clearence with the TOB to the PP. I was actually contacting it, and the weight on the fork was hitting on a bolt on the trans case.

I removed the weight, and tried the Lakewood adjustable pivot ball but the ball is just too short. To get enough of the ball threaded into the trans it's approx 10+mm shorter than the factory and the fork doesn't want to slip over due to the retaining clips hitting the jam nut on the ball.

I just wanted to report my findings, hopefully it helps someone in the process. I'm going to order the McLeod ball and give that a try this week.

I've read a couple of your post because I'm planning on installing this same clutch on almost the same exact setup you have (I have a Steeda quick-release double hook quadrant). What was the outcome of using the Mcleod adjustable pivot ball? How much did it cost to replace the friction surface on the Fidanza? I don't know the actual condition of it but would like to get an idea in case I have to redo it.

MTBSully

Established Member
Was just wondering the same thing here. Mine spun freely either way but still dragged just a hair (I don't see how it couldnt honestly). I assembled it but we will see what mcleod has to say tomorrow. I will wait to bolt the tranny back up

Users who are viewing this thread