Mcleod clutch & flywheel set up

dannydr44

Established Member
Hey everyone,

So, I decided to purchase and install a Mcleod RST twin clutch, Mcleod aluminum flywheel, Mcleod clutch line upgrade and axle exchange aluminum drive shaft. This is my first time, driving with a duel clutch set up and I have a few questions. For one, the chatter between 1600 to 2000 RPMS is pretty damn loud. I’m assuming that’s normal? Two, I’ve been driving manual transmissions since I was 17 and I’m currently 31. I’m having a hell of time, finding that fine spot to where I’m not riding the clutch, until it engages. I feel as if I’m riding the clutch more than before. I only have about 300 miles on it but I sure as hell, don’t want to ruin the clutch during the break in process. This clutch grabs like a mother ****er and I can’t wait to hit the track with it.

Thanks,

Dan :)

SCalla1384

Established Member
Mine never chatters unless I'm taking off like an idiot. But no chatter between 16-2200rpm. It could just be hearing the harmonics more with all the aluminum. We noticed that after we put an alum flywheel/ds on my fathers Mach. I have a lightened steel flywheel so I can't tell you.

As far as finding the correct spot, twin disc tends to do that. With an aluminum flywheel (less energy being sorted) will increase that as well. Eventually, you'll get used to it. It'll eventually settle out. My clutch engagement changed for the first 1000 miles or so. Sometimes right off the floor, sometimes in the middle etc....

Also, for the track, if your going on a drag radial where you plan on slipping the clutch hard, be careful. These clutches don't really slip with rpm. They pretty much just bite. I tried, and pissed off the rear end alittle because I basically dumped the clutch at 4500rpm. Where I could slip the hell out of the stock clutch.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Its completely normal what your experiencing. Take the helper spring off your clutch pedal that will help with the engagement feel. After I got 500 miles on my cluth I took it to the track and after that the engagement really smoothed out after that beating I gave it. It took all the high spots off the clutch discs. You'll get used to it. Unfortunately the chatter at that rpm never goes away. I just never stay in that rpm range except in 1st.

dannydr44

Established Member
Gotcha, thanks for the feed back guys! I’m still in the break in period and I’m going to make sure, that the line was bleed correctly as well. I love the set up and don’t mind the noise but the engagement is killing me. Otherwise, I can’t wait to hit the track and beat the hell out of it.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
That 1500-2000rpms chatter is why I still dont own a twin disk.... well, that and the price LOL

redline5.0

Established Member
Who the f drives there m6 at 1500 rpms.....I have the twin disc and never have the rpms that low unless I'm taking off from a stop and it don't chatter from a stop. Just don't drive with the rpm's that low and you have no chatter.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Whats the speed limit, 20mph lol.

When traveling through town in a 30mph zone, and the car in front of you slows down some, you also have to slow down.... lol

We all don't drive at "redline5.0" all the time. Lol. I didn't buy a V8 sportscar with a PD blower to have to downshift all the time ;)

dannydr44

Established Member
Driving around local roads, it’s impossible not drive around 1600-2000 RPMs. I’m also not trying to be one of those obnoxious people, cruising around at high RPMs and thinking thats cool. Just saying... Anyway, I found a technical service bulletin for the clutch pedal assembly. Which basically calls for lubing the primacy and secondary springs for the clutch assembly. Since I’ve done that TSB, it’s helped but I’m thinking about removing the secondary spring anyway. It’s gotten better over the break in period and the chatter isn’t as bad. Again, I could care less about the chatter, it’s the engagement that’s bothering me.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Are you talking about the chatter upon clutch engagement or the chatter when lugging at low rpm?
The chatter at engagement will get much better after it's broken in.
My stock clutch chattered at low rpm too but not as much as my RST. It's something you just have to get used to, you'll probably end up adjusting your driving style to avoid it

Black11gt

Established Member
I had JPC do a tremec magnum swap with an RST and I have NO CHATTER AT ALL!. I had an RXT in MT82 setup that used to chatter BAD even after break in. When they did the swap, jpc informed me that I didn't have the spacer for slave that is necessary on mcloed clutches. wonder if that could be the problem for some people

F.D.Sako

Established Member
How bad is the chatter?
I'm getting the RST and aluminum flywheel installed sometime next week and I drive the car almost every weekend. Don't really like what I'm reading regarding engagement point and chatter, since it might get annoying with all the traffic lights and stop signs.

Would McLeod's lightened steel flywheel be a better option for a weekend/road course car?

dannydr44

Established Member
The chatter occurs during low RPM driving, around 1600-2000 RMPS roughly. I have about 650 plus miles so far on this set up and it’s gotten better, without question. It’s not too annoying now, I’m use to it. I’m just frustrated with the pedal sticking, on higher engagement. But perhaps that’s a characteristic of set up. The set up is ridiculous and grabs like a mother*%#er. I’m really impress on how it grabs and feel really confident, running it at the track.

I think it’s a great set up for any application but if you’re looking into road racing (like I am) you should contact Kelly @ BMR or Kenny Brown Racing, Gribbs racing, etc. for better feed back or information on a good set up.

Like I said before, this clutch, flywheel and clutch line upgrade from McLeod is ridiculous. It grabs under any condition and it’s too harsh for daily driving.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
My McLeod RXT with Aluminum flywheel doesn't chatter at all. It just makes the little rattle noise once in a while at very low speeds that's common with twin discs. I wonder if they are getting installed wrong or not getting broken in properly.

Users who are viewing this thread