MCA 45th event at Barber Motorsport Park

JoeJ

Established Member
Wayne Manor and I are on the way home from a great time at Barber. We ran open track Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Five sessions each day. What a blast. Wayne and I ran in the Red (Race Group) and sure used up some brake pads and tires. It was great to see all my old friends from all over the US. Wayne sure kicked butt with my 2004 Grand AM Cup Car. I could not stay with him with my 2000 Cobra R even tho I have 60 more HP.
We had a Cobra R and Late Model Mustang demo race on Sunday with 14 participants. I think we put on a good show for all the spectators.:beer:

Mustang Challenge for the Miller Cup series had two races, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Scott Pruitt and Tommy Kendall was there to help promote the MCA event. I hope we get some photos posted on this forum as there were some great cars at the event. They said that 35,000 people showed up to see the four day event.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I just got back home from the long drive from the event. You boys were definatly dukeing it out in the final race today. I will upload some pics of the event in a few. The guy driving the 05-09 blue eibach GT with the steeda spoiler sure was tearing the competion up!!! He was on a mission!!!

This show was better then the last one at Nashville. I still think the 35th has been the best one but this one was worth the drive for sure. Great show. Awsome time.

What happened to Bruce's Cobra R?

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Looks like I chose wrong by leaving early!!!! I should just do the opposite of whatever I think I should do.....

I had a great time as well and it was great to see everyone! As usually running with Joe was a treat as we are pretty evenly matched swapping the lead back and forth.

Unfortunately Bruce had a major issue with his motor. A teardown will have to be done to determine exactly what the root cause is.

As far as the track goes I REALLY like it! Not terribly fast but very technical with lots of elevation changes. I'll definitely be looking to find an excuse to go back but the 12 hour tow will keep me from going more than once every few years...

SVThopeful

SVT Poster
Established Member
Here are a few of my pictures of the hot laps cars. It was a great event, busy, but fun. It was great seeing all the Cobra Rs on track all weekend.

IMG_5017.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

We're getting ready to hit the road so I'll post more when I get home.

Last edited:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Yes, it was a great time at Barber, now I wish I had brought my car down, instead of flying down and getting the '10 V6 rental.. oh well, next time.

Always a good time when we can all get together and see eachother from all over the country, and pick up right where we left off like we never missed a beat from our last event. :rockon:

I'll be flying home from Atlanta later today, and try to post up some of my 270 pics over the next couple of days.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
It was a great time. No doubt...except maybe for all the adventure in the corkscrew.

It was great meeting everyone. Here are some photos from the weekend.

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

Dave_6

Established Member
^Nice pics! I wish I would have been there yesterday to see the R race :( The weather was looking so 'iffy' that I decided to stay home.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
It was a great time.
It was great to turn arouind and see a Cobra "R" wherever you looked.
Left yesterday around noon, got home 4 AM today.

020.gif

021.gif

009.gif

008.gif

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It was great seeing all of the fellow Cobra track dawgz and meeting some of the new ones. Barber is a GREAT track and the event was an awesome time. I actually have to apologize for some of the previous comments I've made about Alan Wilson tracks. This track is unlike ANY OTHER Alan Wilson designed track I have been to. It's fast, fun, technical, interesting and entertaining along with a boatload of elevation changes. Many of the atributes his other tracks lack. I would definitely go back!

I just got back home from the long drive from the event. You boys were definatly dukeing it out in the final race today. I will upload some pics of the event in a few. The guy driving the 05-09 blue eibach GT with the steeda spoiler sure was tearing the competion up!!! He was on a mission!!!

Dean Martin was generous enough to 'rent' me that most awesome Rehagen Racing Blue '08 for the exhibition race. That car was an absolute dream to drive. It practically drove itself. That right there was a more of a demonstration of what a slow driver can do in a fast car! ;-)

Watch for a dedicated thread of my impressions of the car once I have some time to catch up from being gone for a week.

What happened to Bruce's Cobra R?

I blowed my motor up on Saturday. :cryying: But if I had my choice of balling up the car into a bunch of armco or blowing a motor, I will take blowing a motor every time. :dw:

comprepsvo

Established Member
Barbers

Thanks to Joe J for giving me a ride, thanks for Mark for hosting the lunch Saturday, Tom for making the shirts, and thanks to all of you guys who put on a show for us all Sunday. It was a site to behold, and on behalf of the Magic City Mustang club, we hope you all enjoyed yourself at Barbers and Birmingham.

Ben

F8L SN8K

Established Member
It was great seeing all of the fellow Cobra track dawgz and meeting some of the new ones. Barber is a GREAT track and the event was an awesome time. I actually have to apologize for some of the previous comments I've made about Alan Wilson tracks. This track is unlike ANY OTHER Alan Wilson designed track I have been to. It's fast, fun, technical, interesting and entertaining along with a boatload of elevation changes. Many of the atributes his other tracks lack. I would definitely go back!

Dean Martin was generous enough to 'rent' me that most awesome Rehagen Racing Blue '08 for the exhibition race. That car was an absolute dream to drive. It practically drove itself. That right there was a more of a demonstration of what a slow driver can do in a fast car! ;-)

Watch for a dedicated thread of my impressions of the car once I have some time to catch up from being gone for a week.

I blowed my motor up on Saturday. :cryying: But if I had my choice of balling up the car into a bunch of armco or blowing a motor, I will take blowing a motor every time. :dw:

I didn't realize that was you driving that car Bruce. That car corned flat and held on tight on the high speed corner. To start 9th and run all the way up through the pack. Amazing! I was impressed with the driving skills(like my opinion matters).I couldn't wait to see it make its way up the pack and duke it out with the 00 R. But it faded away after a couple laps of battle.

The track was spectacular! Nice facility and great layout. The elevation changes had to make it great.

Last edited:

1993R

Established Member
Sorry guys I didnt make it a death in my wife's family on Friday kinda threw a wrench in things.............Had the R ready to drive over for a couple of days. The Mitty is in 2 weeks so I will make that.

SVThopeful

SVT Poster
Established Member

I was on the track with Pruett when your engine blew.

Here are some more of my pictures, since I was helping out in the paddock, I didn't get to see much more of the event.

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

Vaughn Gittin talking to Alan Mulally
IMG_2658.jpg

Before the Saturday Mustang Challenge Race

IMG_2688.jpg

Scott Pruett and Tommy Kendall announcing the Mustang Challenge Race
IMG_2714.jpg

Mustang Challenge Autograph session, with Pruett and Kendall
IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_4994.jpg

IMG_5008.jpg

Last edited:

SVThopeful

SVT Poster
Established Member
Here are some pictures form our trip down, we took a 2010 GT500. It's a great car, powerful, comfortable, and very solid.

IMG_4965.jpg

The new Ford Navigation systems are very cool
IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4978.jpg

SVT trailer
IMG_4967-1.jpg

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member

As Bruce said, this is the new Rehagen Racing edition Mustang we built as a club car. It started life as a 2008 Mustang GT. It was odd taking apart an engine with only 80 something miles on it:) It is definitely a terrific car that Bruce did an excellent job of debuting for us in the race:rockon: I'll leave the rest to Bruce's upcoming story though:read:

It was great seeing all you guys again, I'm really glad that I was able to make it down there even though it was because work is so slow I could get the time off. I wish I could have hung out and talked with everyone more than I did but I got stuck up in the vendor booth the whole weekend :( It definitely was a terrific event and everyone I talked to said it was the best Mustang event to date. I can't wait to see more pictures posted up, keep them coming!

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I pulled in the driveway last night about 9 PM.

Total Mileage: 2438
Cost of Race Fuel: $188
Tires Corded: None!
Trailer Tires Blown: 4
Weekend at Track with Buds: PRICELESS!!!

It was a great event. It was good seeing old friends I hadn't seen in many years--some as much as 5 years. This was my second visit to Barber and it just reinforced the fact this is really a fun track to drive and a fantastic facility.

The event really went off well. The displays were good and the cars were awesome. There was definately something for everyone.

The part I enjoyed the most was a special display area of original-owner 64 1/2 Mustangs. There were about 12 there. 1 Convertible and the rest were coupes and 2 were HiPos. It was neat looking at the cars and then reading the story boards with them. Pictures of guys getting out of the service in 65 when they were 20 years old and here they are 45 years later now in their late 60s at the show. Really, really cool.

Greatest Disappointment--SVT! What the hell were they thinking??? They had the 3 Rs up in the air on display. Right below were another 8 or so significant road race Mustangs. Next to that is the SVT 18-wheeler with two GT500s underneath the canopy and.....nothing else. Not a single soul around. No literature promoting SVT. No personnel. I was amazed. What a major marketing opportunity totally blown! I still can't believe how this was handled.

Tom

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I did find out that there was a Raptor in the SVT semi but it was damaged from a press event it just came from. There was also a Fiesta there but the windshield was damaged during shipping. Apparently it was fixed for Sunday and was on display but I didn't see it.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I did find out that there was a Raptor in the SVT semi but it was damaged from a press event it just came from. There was also a Fiesta there but the windshield was damaged during shipping. Apparently it was fixed for Sunday and was on display but I didn't see it.

Big Whoopee!!! Totally lame not to have any staff on-site promoting the vehicles and SVT. No excuse for their lack of presence. They might as well just left the truck and trailer at home.

Tom

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I am by no means trying to defend the apparent lack of participation by SVT staff but mearly adding some information that I found out sunday morning over at the Ford booth.

Users who are viewing this thread