MBPR Street Catback install w/Before & After Number

SLO-SVT

Established Member
So I just wanted to throw up a quick post on the gains I had with the catback install. My car is an auto premium and was 100% stock. Baseline pull was 357/351 with the final numbers being 363/357. A 7hp gain was seen throughout the curve. I'll try to get the graph scanned and uploaded soon. We baselined the car and did the install right there on the lift so numbers were few hours apart on a Dynojet dyno (Chris's Car Doc -Houston). HP gains were not much to get excited about but when combined with the sound, look, and weight loss I really can't complain. If I purchased the Borla (x2 the cost) I originally wanted and had the same gains I'd probably be pissed..lol.

sloppymax

Established Member
I bought my MBRP for the price, weight loss and sounds. If it gave 7hp throughout the curve then I would be pleasantly surprised. Figured most catbacks, if they did show a gain would be a higher rpm gain of a couple hp, which I would write off as discrepancy from one run to another.

1crazymach

Established Member
How do you like the sound? Is there any drone? Do you have any videos? Sorry so many questions this is the same exhaust I plan to use once my 16 is built Thank you

08mojo

Established Member
How do you like the sound? Is there any drone? Do you have any videos? Sorry so many questions this is the same exhaust I plan to use once my 16 is built Thank you

Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm looking for an answer to the question above. The wife just got a 2016 GT and looking for exhaust. She had roush axlebacks on her 2012, was thinking about trying something different this time around.

SLO-SVT

Established Member
Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm looking for an answer to the question above. The wife just got a 2016 GT and looking for exhaust. She had roush axlebacks on her 2012, was thinking about trying something different this time around.

Strange I never got an email about that prior question.

I love the sound 100% and there is zero drone. The GT is my daily and it's exactly the sound I was looking for. I wanted nice sound/tone under normal driving w/o being too loud. At WOT it screams... IMO you just cant beat this exhaust for the price.

2V Terror

Established Member
Most aftermarket exhausts will give you a small increase in HP and tq over stock. I don't know where or when it became popular to say that they don't.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Just had mbrp catback installed yesterday on 16 gt/cs, love the sound, had an mbrp 3" catback on my focus st and There is a brake in period of about 500 miles and the tones get deeper and it sounds even better. Love the 4.5 inch tips and theway the pipes to the mufflers are positioned. Reminds me of the old cobra irs pipe set up. This set up is more then half the price of most of the other catbacks. It was a no brainer. They use 16 gauge stainless steel. I would have liked to see a 304 version but then again that would have jacked the price up.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I feel the difference in power but its so subtle its really not worth mentioning. I think the difference will come in when i do my whipple s550 install and long tube headers to go with the catback. I'm probably looking at a 40 hp increase over the stock exhaust. Breathing is so important when running boost.

scotmach

Established Member
Maybe you should read the very first post in this thread...

I certainly did, 7 horsepower falls into the category of margin of error. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Oh and FYI there is no tooth fairy.:lol:

SLO-SVT

Established Member
I certainly did, 7 horsepower falls into the category of margin of error. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Oh and FYI there is no tooth fairy.:lol:
Car also picked up a tenth at the track and one mph consistently after the install but I'm sure you are right.

SLO-SVT

Established Member
Then post up the time slips and make believers out of us!
I started this post to help share my experience because at the time I found zero information on real world gains. I don't sell sh-t or have anything to gain by posting sh-t that's not true. I will post the slips on Monday because they are in my office. Honestly I don't give a fck if you believe or not. Don't buy an exhaust....

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I noticed more power when i installed mine. The factory resonator is restrictive so hp gains should be felt.

1quick

Established Member
I put that exhaust on my 16gt love the sound and price, I noticed a little difference in power on my roush phase 2

john01

Established Member
Thanks for your feedback guys. I'm trying to decide on which to go with myself. I was leaning towards Borla S but this also has my attention.

Users who are viewing this thread