May Be Time To Build My Motor

Payne Racing 67

Established Member
Hey everyone. Started my car up last week on a cold start, turns out I may have piston slap. At first I thought head tick, but the noise pretty much goes away when up to temp, and it comes back on decel around 2000 rpms. I did a compression test, all the numbers were good, within 10% of each other. The car idles fine, doesn't skip a beat, and still pulls like a raped ape, so I'm really not sure yet. If burnt pistons are the case I plan to get some Diamond pistons and arp head studs, hone the block/clean up the heads, provided it's just the pistons. I have no mod motor experience, so I would have the shop do the tear down/rebuild. What am I looking at for the build? I'm just trying to figure out my budget and decide the best route to go. I've searched for threads but I've seen more mach/older Cobra builds that specify pricing. I know hardware altogether would be about 1200. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

03' White Snake

Established Member
Its a minimum $2500 for a rebuild. It only goes up from there. Its like $1600 parts alone. Then pulling the motor and actually doing the work.

I paid $6500 to rebuild my motor and upgrade the heads a bit.

Payne Racing 67

Established Member
Its a minimum $2500 for a rebuild. It only goes up from there. Its like $1600 parts alone. Then pulling the motor and actually doing the work.

I paid $6500 to rebuild my motor and upgrade the heads a bit.
I figured I was looking at 6500ish. I can pull/re install the motor myself that's no issue. Shit just did 3 motor swaps in the past month and a half in 3 cars lol. I won't be doing any head work other than any resurfacing/cleaning they may need.

Users who are viewing this thread