maxing out a 2.3 whipple?

mata

Established Member
So had the opportunity to buy a brand new whipple 2.3 for a very good price for an 03 cobra.
other than the whipple , the other supporting mods are 60lbs injectors, full catback and a brand new built longblock (MMR Street Mod shotblock)

Being completely new to the world of aftermarket superchargers; need you guys input in what are mods are needed to reach full potential on that blower....
what numbers do you guys think we will be able to reach?

Last edited:

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
I'd Leave it at around 20-21 Psi with a built motor, Not necessarily to "MAX" it out cause who wants to have a fast car thats only going to last so long. You said you were new to the modified superchargers 20-21 PSI with your motor should net you atleast 650+ on a race tune. I think that you will be fine with that for a while.

Not trying to be a dick, just stating my opinion off what your experience was, If that power doesnt end up being enough then well going bigger never hurts, But in my experience your going to need to replace a whole lot of stuff before you get tired of that 650 Hp if you like to race.

Good luck and post up what kinda numbers from the dyno and track you end up with in the near future. there a blast :)

mata

Established Member
it will be a slow build but I will be posting any details as they emerge

other than fuel pump and something to tune, (plan on running dual GT pumps) what else do you think would be needed?

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
it will be a slow build but I will be posting any details as they emerge

other than fuel pump and something to tune, (plan on running dual GT pumps) what else do you think would be needed?

I Run a kenne Bell boost a pump with 55lb injectors and twin GT pumps. @ 630hp Im at 60% Duty cycle which is good. Your stock fuel lines and rails are good for up to 700hp. I believe 04sleeper is pushing around this power with the stock lines and rails.

You also need to upgrade your FPDM (Fuel pressure driver module) can get it through lethal performance, or many of them have been for sale in the market section.

Go ahead and Get your self a nice JLT intake and I recommend a Bigger Intercooler resevior, Cooler is always better, safer, and makes more power.

Also, Get a Sct mass air flow meter. I went with the Big Air 3000, its good for plenty of power. good clutch also. spec 3+ is always good for a budget well performing clutch.

Then... DRAG RADIALS cause spinning aint winning.

Let me know if you have any questions, Im a young buck and no expert but mine runs well.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i'm running 23psi on a stock long block, you should atleast spin yours to 24-25psi as long as you have good gas and a dedicated fuel system. also, don't get an inner-cooler fluid reservoir (it doesn't make more power), call Joe @ Kincaid and get a Killer Chiller (this makes heaps more power and makes your car run like a champ!
get with a good shop/tuner and talk to them about what your goals are with the car before you blindly throw mods at it and you'll enjoy the car much more!

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
i'm running 23psi on a stock long block, you should atleast spin yours to 24-25psi as long as you have good gas and a dedicated fuel system. also, don't get an inner-cooler fluid reservoir (it doesn't make more power), call Joe @ Kincaid and get a Killer Chiller (this makes heaps more power and makes your car run like a champ!
get with a good shop/tuner and talk to them about what your goals are with the car before you blindly throw mods at it and you'll enjoy the car much more!

You can't be serious in saying that a bigger intercooler reservoir doesn't make more power. People don't get them cause they just look cool. I added a 5gal in my trunk and with ice cold water I picked up 5mph in the qtr. Killer chiller might add more power but you can t use it at the track because of running air condition.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
People get them for a few reasons.
1. you can easily add ice
2. you have larger volume of water in the system, therefor you make the same power longer because it's not heating up as easily. it's the same as if you had a big pot of water and a small pot of water on the stove, they'll both eventually get to the same temperature, but it'll take the bigger one longer.

they're worthless on the street, plain and simple. even the ice water storage unit you have in your trunk will be melted and in the process of climbing toward the 80* mark by the second stop light you hit. i run more boost than you, through a bigger blower, and my temps are colder, no doubt

The killer chiller gets temps as low or lower than adding ice, and it's constantly keeping them that low unlike just dumping ice into your reservoir. I know, i had one.....and by the time i got to the pits after a pass the water was warm again.

i'm just telling him the most cost effective way to spend his money on worth-while mods, and the Killer Chiller blows any other i/c system component out of the water. Hell, i would go back to a stock H/E if i didn't mind getting new hoses and yanking off my dual pass.....

Users who are viewing this thread