Maximum Motorsports Vs. Griggs

MM Vs. Griggs

• Total voters

cobraracer46

Banned
Griggs and MM are both good companies, but the one area where one of them is vastly superior over the other is in the chassis stiffning and roll bar kits dept. The Griggs full frame kit and mustang roll bar kits are much better than anything MM has.

Cobra-R

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Griggs and MM are both good companies, but the one area where one of them is vastly superior over the other is in the chassis stiffning and roll bar kits dept. The Griggs full frame kit and mustang roll bar kits are much better than anything MM has.

I agree the Griggs World challenge thru frame subframe kit is easily the mose effective setup out there, but it is overkill for anything less than a full on race car.

Do you have a link to Griggs roll bar kits? I wasn't aware that they offered kits and I can't find them on thier site.

Brian

Snake Eyes

Established Member
The Griggs website is not up to par as far as I am concerned. They offer much more than just what their website shows. They do port and polish jobs, engine work, Driveline, custom fab, and lots of other shit. Basically you have to call em. But they are a full race shop not just suspension.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
The Griggs website is not up to par as far as I am concerned. They offer much more than just what their website shows. They do port and polish jobs, engine work, Driveline, custom fab, and lots of other shit. Basically you have to call em. But they are a full race shop not just suspension.

Yep, I agree. I have been to thier shop. My question still stands, he says they have roll bar "kits". I never saw any when I was there, have never heard that they have them, nor can I find them on the website. I am just trying to get a clarification.

I have seen cars with Griggs custom built cages, they are very very impressive, but they were all custom jobs. That is why I am asking about thier "kit", if it is put together like thier custom cages, I am sure it would interest alot of track people in here and elsewhere.

Brian

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Well I called them and they do have a full cage for fox bodies that they can ship but you will need to do some welding. They also have a 4 point cage for 94-04 stangs. All you would really have to do is weld the attachment points to the car. Everything else is custom 1 off in the shop.

On a side note he said he might try to jump on the forum sometime soon to answer any some questions.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
Well I called them and they do have a full cage for fox bodies that they can ship but you will need to do some welding. They also have a 4 point cage for 94-04 stangs. All you would really have to do is weld the attachment points to the car. Everything else is custom 1 off in the shop..

That makes sense. Any race legal and quality cage is going to be a weld in.

Snake Eyes said:
On a side note he said he might try to jump on the forum sometime soon to answer any some questions.

Cool, hopefully they will have some pictures. :coolman:

Brian

GR-40 Pat

Established Member
How's it going everyone? Got a few minutes to see what I can answer...

Snake Eyes said:
Well I called them and they do have a full cage for fox bodies that they can ship but you will need to do some welding.

We have put together a few of these, the main tube and cross bracing inside are welded in place. The rest of the cage is bent tubing that has to be trimmed to fit, but all bends are in place and the ends are notched. This was a full race kit and requires gutting the car (dash, doors etc.).

Snake Eyes said:
They also have a 4 point cage for 94-04 stangs. All you would really have to do is weld the attachment points to the car.

We are now offering a 4 point roll bar which meets requirements for most (if not all) event sanctioning bodies. It is available for the 94-04 Coupe and Verts.
Coupe: Main hoop Mounts at the top of the rear bulkhead and down tubes go through the plastic right next to the seat (requires a hole to be drilled in the plastic as well as the sheetmetal behind the seat) landing on the forward edge of the upper rear shock. Landing plates are provided and need to be welded to the chassis as well as the tubes.

Vert: Main hoop mounts to the top of the B-pillar (plastic needs to be cut for tubes) and down tubes go between the seat edge and the plastic (seats will need to be modified slightly) landing to a plate that is welded to the sheetmetal (floorplan) behind the seat.

Our main page www.griggsracing.com has a picture of one of these units in place in a 660HP '98 Griggs Cobra Convert owned by John Griggs.

Both of these pieces can be powder coated and will be shipped via truck.

I will try and get some pictures on here tomorrow while I'm at the shop. I'll also get exact pricing for both versions.

I've got a few of each in stock right now.

Snake Eyes said:
Everything else is custom 1 off in the shop.

We are considering putting together a kit for the SN-95 cars.

Safety is a big thing in our shop and putting our name on something like a cage is something we like to do in house where we can ensure quality.

If you want to see a testimony:
www.griggsracing.com/safetyfirst.html

Snake Eyes said:

I made it! :beer:

Patrick

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
GR-40 Pat said:
...snip...
We are now offering a 4 point roll bar which meets requirements for most (if not all) event sanctioning bodies. It is available for the 94-04 Coupe and Verts....snip...

That vert cage is gonna be popular, lotta drp top guys been looking for one.

Welcome to the forum!

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Thanks for posting Patrick. Make sure you keep us updated on any new stuff going on at the shop. And tell Bruce or John to get the web site updated with all the new stuff. MM gets a lot of business because they offer such detailed descriptions, instructions and pictures not to mention the ability to buy online.
Snake Eyes said:
....Each one has there own upside and downside with regard to certain parts. Most will vote Maximum Motorsports but I believe that is just due to MM having a better web site therefore selling more parts and people recommend what works for them but both brands are top notch.
I run the full GR-40 system on my cobra with pride!

sndmn_2000

Next is a Vette
Established Member
well, to update some. I have a friend with the full race griggs suspension the gt40 and i drove it. Overall it turns on a dime, he has the weld through braces and everything, but its very unpractical for the street, U feel every pebble in the road and its just way too stiff. Even he agrees that it was not a smart move for a street driven car.

I am almost done with my MM setup and i will see how it compares soon enough.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Well that isn't entirely true, ride quality depends heavily on spring rate and damper settings. If you have two identical setups, one with super stiff springs and shocks and the other with more moderate settings the difference will be very noticeable. If your friend just swaps out his springs and softens up his Koni's (assuming that is what he got from Griggs) he will be able to drive it on the street in complete comfort and better ride quality than stock. Then when you go to the track swap the higher rate springs in and tighten up the shocks and struts and go racing. That is the beauty of coil-overs is their versatility.

GR-40 Pat

Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
Well that isn't entirely true, ride quality depends heavily on spring rate and damper settings. If you have two identical setups, one with super stiff springs and shocks and the other with more moderate settings the difference will be very noticeable. If your friend just swaps out his springs and softens up his Koni's (assuming that is what he got from Griggs) he will be able to drive it on the street in complete comfort and better ride quality than stock. Then when you go to the track swap the higher rate springs in and tighten up the shocks and struts and go racing. That is the beauty of coil-overs is their versatility.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
A mix of the two is the way to go because some parts are better then others. I will personally be going with a mix of MM and Griggs.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Venomous01 said:
A mix of the two is the way to go because some parts are better then others. I will personally be going with a mix of MM and Griggs.

Depending on what "mix: you are talking about specifically, that could be a vary big mistake.

Brian

otto

Established Member
between those two i would tend to say griggs. griggs have been involved in more types of racing and for longer than maximum who seem to only realy focus on american iron.for the street the griggs set ups are more involved and are for serious performance enthusiasts, maximum stuff is more joe shmoe friendly (subframe connectors, camber plates,strut braces etc.and they do a good job at it).different strokes for different folks I have an agent47 innerframe in my car it was designed by bill osborne for those who dont know he is a race car designer/driver with numerous wins/championshipsin many types of racing including NASCAR,SCCA,NATIONAL CHALLENGE,TOYOTA SUPER PRODUCTION,ULTRA WHEELS SUPER TRUCK SERIES,he also designed and built BIGRED the69 camaro that won the silverstate race overall against all comers including exworks porches and such .and they are soon entering american iron. you can see there set up in the curent 5.0 mag they do a build up
on the weld in cage.or look at there site www.agentfortyseven.com just remember subframe connectors are the slapper bars of today, a cheap band aid.those in the know are doing the hard core kits like agent47 innerframe, the griggs race set ups,or even some the more extensive maximum stuff. lets just stop talking big about simple connectors because lets face it when your talking terminator+ power levels and the weight of our cars + corners those things dont work anymore they are over taxed. take it to the next level no matter what company you go with.no more flexy crap

Cobra-R

Established Member
Otto,
Please give us your basis of picking Griggs over MM? Do you own, drive, and race both...tell us what led you to that conclusion? What is your racing and/or tracking experience.

If terminator owners are corner carving serious enough that they should be going with the in frame sunframe connectors, they should have a full welded in cage anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread