Max power for 01 engine?

Masonb5

Established Member
Hey guys i have a 01 cobra with a kennebell supercharger. I'm wondering what the stock engine can handle as far as power. Right now i'm at 489 at the rear wheels. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

justinschmidt1

Established Member
Hey guys i have a 01 cobra with a kennebell supercharger. I'm wondering what the stock engine can handle as far as power. Right now i'm at 489 at the rear wheels. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Its a crap shoot but your at the limit I would say. Don't turn it up any more

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Since they arent forged I would say above 450rwhp is pushing it.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
crap shoot for sure at that point.........a good tune can make all the dif...and you must have a good one, since your still in one piece

Masonb5

Established Member
Thanks guys, I have a great tune from a local shop that specializes in mustangs. Hopefully my good luck lasts awhile...

neo8222

Established Member
Not trying to thread jack but how different is the bottom end of the 01 Cobra 4.6 from the 01-04 GT bottom end? Are they similar short blocks with different heads? I figured the question would help with the topic of the thread.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the GT blocks are iron while the Cobra blocks are aluminum. The GT cranks are cast and the Cobra cranks are forged. The rods might be the same. I would imagine the pistons are different to make up the difference in combustion chamber sizes between the 2v and 4v.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

thebestdj07

Established Member
Thanks guys, I have a great tune from a local shop that specializes in mustangs. Hopefully my good luck lasts awhile...

crt?

he tunes alot of mustangs in the 450rwhp range and they hold together for a good amount of time.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Couldn't he just upgrade the rods and pistons and not worry about anything?:shrug:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Couldn't he just upgrade the rods and pistons and not worry about anything?:shrug:

He could. But maybe he can't afford the down time. And it's not just rods and pistons. There's also gaskets that should be replaced. And the TTY bolts then need to be replaced when the motor is taken apart.

GLwhiteGT

FOMOCO MOFO!
Established Member
He could. But maybe he can't afford the down time. And it's not just rods and pistons. There's also gaskets that should be replaced. And the TTY bolts then need to be replaced when the motor is taken apart.

Also machining may be needed. Sometimes the crankshaft needs to be turned and thus the bearing need resizing from the stock size.

IIRC stock internals are rated around 450hp ast the crank becuase of piston and rod strength. at least that is what i have seen in my research so far. i'd like to get mine to ~400rwhp and call it done, but i think that's put me close to 470hp or so, so im not sure what to do for next power mod yet.

Masonb5

Established Member
Shop is called dayton performance. They have tuned a couple of my friends cobras and have done an amazing job with all of them. I've looked at some of the kits to upgrade the rods and pistons, just a lil short on cash right now.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Shop is called dayton performance. They have tuned a couple of my friends cobras and have done an amazing job with all of them. I've looked at some of the kits to upgrade the rods and pistons, just a lil short on cash right now.

I know them well. I figured it was either Precision Autosports or Dayton Performance (who used to be Dayton 5.0)

2001cobravert

Established Member
Damn, I would not go any higher than what you are now.

Honestly, I would turn it down some. That's why I stayed in the 430rwhp range. These motors are known to :pop: around the 450rwhp mark.

How long have you been running that setup? Did you do an eaton swap or the 99/01 KB?

Masonb5

Established Member
I've been running it like this since last july. Only put about 4-500 miles on it a year. Dont push it to hard either. Its got the 99/01 KB intercooled kit on it, running about 11 pounds of boost.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
wow 489 out the KB..is it a 2.1?

i've been running my 1.7 ICO 01 at 468RWHP since 2004...thats 33K miles ago, and it sees boost every time i drive it

it's all about the TUNE...just know that you are at/beyond the limit, it's a timebomb really lol

OP how much boost are you at?
i've been at 9.5 indicated (11psi pulley) since 04

Last edited:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
I've been running it like this since last july. Only put about 4-500 miles on it a year. Dont push it to hard either. Its got the 99/01 KB intercooled kit on it, running about 11 pounds of boost.

4-500 miles a year and you dont push it? Lower the boost to lesson the chances of an explosion because 500 miles a year isnt worth the investment of a new motor IMO

Users who are viewing this thread