Max Effort N/A

2l8ulose

Established Member
Trying to get some suggestions on a max effort N/A motor. Car will have g-force 5 speed weight under 2900 pds. will be driven on the street every now and then. Any trick ideas welcome. What would you do?

5.4 or 4.6?
BB stroker or de stroke it?
Heads?
Intake?
Cams?
Compression?

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Trying to get some suggestions on a max effort N/A motor. Car will have g-force 5 speed weight under 2900 pds. will be driven on the street every now and then. Any trick ideas welcome. What would you do?

5.4 or 4.6?
Heads?
Intake?
Cams?
Compression?

BB Stroker
Ported heads
Ported intake
Stage 2 or 3 NA Cams
Up the compression...
4:30's or 4:56's in the rear
A good tune
Posted via Mobile Device

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I would do a 4.6 based BB/stroker with GT heads, modified Sullivan, 12.5:1...or a 5.4 with GT heads, Shortened Cobra R intake, 12.5:1...or a 5.4 based 358" with 12.5:1, GT heads and a Cobra R intake.

The BB 5.4 would be the most expensive by far, but would make a lot of power without having to spin it to the moon.

The higher the engine RPMs, the harder it will be to find a trans that'll work.

Ironhand

Banned
I would do a 4.6 based BB/stroker with GT heads, modified Sullivan, 12.5:1...or a 5.4 with GT heads, Shortened Cobra R intake, 12.5:1...or a 5.4 based 358" with 12.5:1, GT heads and a Cobra R intake.

The BB 5.4 would be the most expensive by far, but would make a lot of power without having to spin it to the moon.

The higher the engine RPMs, the harder it will be to find a trans that'll work.

Few things to remember here.

Strokers dont like to rev so bore will be better.
Stroking a 5.4 is a bad idea. It will cause alot of skirt to come out the bottom of the bores and induce more heat and friction on the cylinder walls. It also moves the pin up into to ring land which is an even worse idea.

You can sleeve a 5.4 block with a 3.700 bore and that will deliver 351 cid.
A stock 2000 Cobra R intake runs out of breath in the higher RPM range as well. So short runner a very expensive Cobra R lower(not sure if that is worth cutting a 800 dollar lower) or use a Sullivan upper and lower combo and give up some low end torque...

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Few things to remember here.

Strokers dont like to rev so bore will be better.
Stroking a 5.4 is a bad idea. It will cause alot of skirt to come out the bottom of the bores and induce more heat and friction on the cylinder walls. It also moves the pin up into to ring land which is an even worse idea.

You can sleeve a 5.4 block with a 3.700 bore and that will deliver 351 cid.
A stock 2000 Cobra R intake runs out of breath in the higher RPM range as well. So short runner a very expensive Cobra R lower(not sure if that is worth cutting a 800 dollar lower) or use a Sullivan upper and lower combo and give up some low end torque...

BB/strokers are good for 8k, their piston skirts don't come out of the bores and the wrist pins will not be in the ringlands.

Stroking a 5.4 is stupid

You can make well over 500rwhp with a stock length Cobra R and 358cis.
I'm sure that shortening the runners on an $800 lower in a "max effort" combo would be okay.

A BB 5.4 is a 358, not a 351.

Ironhand

Banned
BB/strokers are good for 8k, their piston skirts don't come out of the bores and the wrist pins will not be in the ringlands.

Stroking a 5.4 is stupid

You can make well over 500rwhp with a stock length Cobra R and 358cis.
I'm sure that shortening the runners on an $800 lower in a "max effort" combo would be okay.

A BB 5.4 is a 358, not a 351.

The skirts come out of the bores alittle more and when you stoke a mod motor usually you have to relocate the wrist pins and that pushes the pin up close to the ring land.. Atleast according to Sean Hyland.

MMR has a sleeved 5.4 and they said it came to 351.... Even though the calculator says 358.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The skirts come out of the bores alittle more and when you stoke a mod motor usually you have to relocate the wrist pins and that pushes the pin up close to the ring land.. Atleast according to Sean Hyland.

I'm speaking from experience, not a book. The wrist pins will not intersect the oil rings and the skirts will not come too far out of the bores if the right parts are used.

Last edited:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member

5.4 or 4.6?
Heads?
Intake?
Cams?
Compression?

I've thought this over myself. I figure if price is no concern you can go w/ this:

Livernois 358 block
Livernois Stage 3 4v heads

. . . of course if you don't live in the world of unlimited cubic dollars, you might be try something like this:

Livernois .020 rotating assembly ( of course you'd have to find your own block to get machined ). If you're looking to stay n/a compression should be somewhere in the 11.0 range I would say although I've seen some other makes advertised higher.

+ have your own heads ported locally and add a set of CompCams that match whatever application you're building towards.

As far intake goes, it's gotta matched to your cams. Some people like the Sullivan intake or you can have your stock intake ported.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I've thought this over myself. I figure if price is no concern you can go w/ this:

Livernois 358 block
Livernois Stage 3 4v heads

. . . of course if you don't live in the world of unlimited cubic dollars, you might be try something like this:

Livernois .020 rotating assembly ( of course you'd have to find your own block to get machined ). If you're looking to stay n/a compression should be somewhere in the 11.0 range I would say although I've seen some other makes advertised higher.

+ have your own heads ported locally and add a set of CompCams that match whatever application you're building towards.

As far intake goes, it's gotta matched to your cams. Some people like the Sullivan intake or you can have your stock intake ported.

stg 3 ported 03/04 heads and a 358ci engine are a terrible match.

n/a compression has to be a lot higher than 11:1 for a max effort engine

None of the off the shelf cams will work

Sullivan doesn't make an intake that fits the 03/04 heads when installed on a 5.4 and a stock ported intake on a max effort engine...not a chance.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
stg 3 ported 03/04 heads and a 358ci engine are a terrible match.

n/a compression has to be a lot higher than 11:1 for a max effort engine

None of the off the shelf cams will work

Sullivan doesn't make an intake that fits the 03/04 heads when installed on a 5.4 and a stock ported intake on a max effort engine...not a chance.

Yeah, you of all people would know. That's just some stuff I've looked at over time. So it sounds like you're talking about fabbing an intake for the 358? What heads actually work on that combo?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
In a car that light, I would for sure stay 4.6 based. Otherwise your weight bias will suffer. I say BB/stroker, custom cams, 12:1, Sullivan intake. But, I'm kinda partial :burnout:

CCM302

Established Member
Would this be considered max effort or close to it?

GT "supercar" aluminum 5.4 block sleeved to 94mm 358 ci
gt500 forged crank
modmax forged rods
diamond pistons - 11.1:1 CR
all arp hardware
block machined to accept a wet sump oil pump. melling pump

'00R Cobra Intake w/ fabbed plenum

GT "supercar" heads with oversize valves
custom cams by john tymensky...250ish duration.

...cause it's what I'm building

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Would this be considered max effort or close to it?

GT "supercar" aluminum 5.4 block sleeved to 94mm 358 ci
gt500 forged crank
modmax forged rods
diamond pistons - 11.1:1 CR
all arp hardware
block machined to accept a wet sump oil pump. melling pump

'00R Cobra Intake w/ fabbed plenum

GT "supercar" heads with oversize valves
custom cams by john tymensky...250ish duration.

...cause it's what I'm building

Add 2 points of compression and it would be close to an "all out" n/a combo. John's 358 made over 600rw thru an auto trans, that is an "all out" combo.

Seriously though, that is a good street engine and with the right parts will make 500/420 while being quite driveable.

CCM302

Established Member
Add 2 points of compression and it would be close to an "all out" n/a combo. John's 358 made over 600rw thru an auto trans, that is an "all out" combo.

Seriously though, that is a good street engine and with the right parts will make 500/420 while being quite driveable.

This is John's engine :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread