Max cooling coolant?

1st usa car

Established Member
Changing my HE and T-Stat -- I have no need for antifreeze in my area -- Just looking for max cooling.

I am not sure if this is correct but I thought the more distilled water the better --- Is this correct?

Would it be best to just add a water wetter type product and fill her up w/ distilled water?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Besides just being anti-freeze and coolant, anti-freeze has anti-corrosion and lubricating properties for your cooling system, thermostat, and water pump. I would not recommend dropping below 20% anti-freeze and 80% distilled water and no water wetter. I believe Van did some testing at one time with water wetter in the engine cooling system and when the engine was torn down, he found that the water wetter was solidifying and the engine had pink build-up in cooling passages. I currently use a little water wetter in my intercooler system along with 50/50 coolant, but next time I drain it, I will just be re-filling it with 50/50 coolant because I think the benefit of water wetter in either system is minimal, at least on a street car.

1st usa car

Established Member
Fantastic information, thanks for setting things straight. :beer: Links were very helpful.

2011 all aluminum engine --- coolant is still good. I'll just save it and reuse it-- w/ new much larger HE and 3x reservoir tank -- i'll just top it off w/ RO water and a bottle of water wetter type product.

Users who are viewing this thread