Mason City, IA??

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
So I have a company interested in me, and I haven't gotten a definite yes yet. I would be working with MedTrans, basically helicopter mechanic on the EMS stuff for the hospital.

I have been doing a little research, and I looked on apartments.com, realtor.com, cragistlist.org, and other sites. And a grand total of less than 10 houses/appts/condos for rent.

Population is around 30,000. Just curious if you guys have any input with this area, as there doesn't seem to be much to do at all.

I was in the Marines for 5 years in Camp Pendleton and lived in the Central coast of CA for my entire life.

:beer:

IA Shelby

Established Member
Decent cost of living.

Clear lake is very nice and is 10minutes west of Mason City. I lived in both and strongly prefer Clear Lake.

It is cold from November through April. Wind always seems to blow.

Minneapolis is 1.5-2hr north for a big city escape.

Not sure why they have an opening but just know there was a tragic helicopter accident within the last year involving the hospital helicopter. May want to research that if that hasn't been discussed.

Last edited:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Decent cost of living.

Clear lake is very nice and is 10minutes west of Mason City. I lived in both and strongly prefer Clear Lake.

It is cold from November through April. Wind always seems to blow.

Minneapolis is 1.5-2hr north for a big city escape.

Not sure why they have an opening but just know there was a tragic helicopter accident within the last year involving the hospital helicopter. May want to research that if that hasn't been discussed.

I actually asked about the helicopter accident on the phone interview. It was with a different company which is why a new contract was put out for MedTrans and the current mechanic there transferred somewhere else.

Thanks for the input, they are flying me out there next week for a tour and to check everything out. So we'll see.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Gonna be a different climate for you here. I live 20 mins from Mason City. It's a nice area, easy living. Lots of family work for Mercy. Like snow?

Users who are viewing this thread