Mark VIII motor in 2004 cobra

aweav01

I have read several post on the whole teksid block compare to the iron block we have in our cars. I have recently come across several mark 8 blocks for sale, if I was to buy one and build it would be a direct swap? Do the engine mounts line up? I have a bad motor now and thinking about a teksid block swap and seeing all these mark 8s there fairly priced. Would it be worth getting a teksid or another iron block? Thanks

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The block uses the same mounts. Lots of guys swap them because of the 70-80lbs savings.

You won't want to use the guts as the crank is iron and the rods are chicken bones.

I recall the timing covers are slightly different.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
There's a couple of subtle differences with the Teksid. You'll have to grind/cut off the knock sensor bosses in the valley to clear the intake manifold. The other one I never would have guessed is you need an earlier style oil filter adapter gasket. The late revision one looks like it will seal but it won't. I learned that the hard way when it started dripping coolant.

aweav01

Awesome thanks guys. Is it worth staying Iron or changing to Teksid. Its street driven on a nice day take to track and whoop some ass some day kinda of car. It made near 800hp on the old MMR block so curious beside weight if this is gonna be worth the swap. I know this has been beat up on for a long while but hearing yeah teksid are better and hold power then i hear no iron is just as good. So curious

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
If you'd had a running engine and was thinking of going through this hassle just for weight savings... I'd pass.

However since you are looking to build an engine, and since it's only 800hp, I personally would go aluminum.

80lbs is a big impact, add in a crossmember and arms and you can drop some serious pounds of the car.

In my notes I show a Teksid is 85lbs and the Iron Block is 152lbs.

According to MMR

WAP blocks are good to 800whp. If you debur/smooth the window mains they are good to 1,000whp.

MMR also states the Teksid is good to 1,000whp, debur/smooth for 1,200. Beyond that you'll need to fill the water jackets because of cylinder distortion.

Iron blocks have all the same issues but at 1,200 and 1,400 instead.

Once again, sourcing MMR (for whatever that's worth).

I've also seen plenty of internet hearsay that the later WAPs are just as strong as a Teksid and most of the Ferrari Teksid fanboism is just because people get hooked on crap.

So whatever you do, just make sure a competent shop does the block prep and watch out for old abused and damaged Teksids.

cj428mach

Established Member
I believe Malcolmv8 had a thread that highlighted most of the differences in the blocks. There are actually more to be aware of than most make it out to be.

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
I believe Malcolmv8 had a thread that highlighted most of the differences in the blocks. There are actually more to be aware of than most make it out to be.

Yeah, look up Malcolmv8's thread comparing the Teksid blocks to an 03-04 iron block; it's a great read. The teksid's drop in just fine and will work, but there are a few steps that have to be taken to assemble them and get them to work in an 03-04 Cobra. If I could have found a Teksid block back when I needed to build up a new shortblock, I would have done it. I wound up getting gabe1530's iron block, crank, and a few other pieces from him for my build instead, and I think he actually built up a Teksid block for his car that is making some serious power. Both blocks can make lots of power, but the Teksid seems to be favored more for bigger horsepower goals. Don't know if you know this or not, but the Teksid comes with 4-bolt mains vs. the iron block's 2-bolt mains. I've actually thought of picking up a teksid block and storing it for future use.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
but the Teksid seems to be favored more for bigger horsepower goals. Don't know if you know this or not, but the Teksid comes with 4-bolt mains vs. the iron block's 2-bolt mains.

Teksid is favored because of the weight savings.

All Ford Modular Iron Blocks are 2 Bolt mains with cross bolts.

The Aluminum Modular Blocks (Teksid, WAP, 5.4, etc) are 4 bolt main with cross bolts. I believe the later blocks are 9mm instead of 8mm.

Users who are viewing this thread