Spatt279

Established Member
So today the stars finally aligned! I will be doing a mark 8 swap into my 2000 new edge V6! As of today I have a 98 Mark 8 motor, computer and a T45 out of a 2000 GT. Problems I still need to solve:
1) Harness should I get a custom harness made up use a cobra harness?
2) Transmission how am I going to control it specifically the speed sensor and reverse lockout?
3) Dash harness and console which one to use cobra? GT?
4) What the heck am I going to do for fuel?
Those are the main things as of right now I still need to get an 8.8 rear end and a cobra intake.
I will try to update this as much as possible as it all goes along. It will be a slow start though as right now is exam season...

Spatt279

Established Member
I guess that would solve my dash problem as well my transmission problem. How would I wire it up to the mark 8 motor? I'm sure that's been asked before any good right ups send them my way!

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
You'll want the GT underhood and dash harness. You'll also want the GT gauge cluster.
What are you doing for suspension? The V6 springs sag and become rather bouncey with the weight of the V8. Stock GT or aftermarket springs should be on the list.
What are you doing to the motor to spruce it up before dropping it in? For fuel, I'd just get a Cobra tank/pump combination and run the OEM lines to the front of the car.

Also, just to cover all the bases, did you call your insurance provider? Putting a older motor into a newer car isn't street legal in the US do to federal EPA regulations. Some won't offer coverage on a car with known illegal modification like that. Or if you don't tell them, you might not be covered in an accident, and you can also be hit with insurance fraud at that point.

Spatt279

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice really appreciate. I should have mentioned I have an MMR front tubular k and coil over kit in the mail! I don't have to worry about the legal stuff as far as I know because I am in Canada! I will call up the insurance see what they say if not guess its time to look for a new insurance provider! For the motor for now nothing I have a couple leads on sub 25XXX Km cars so there in good shape. In the future debating on forged bottom end and some boost but who isn't.

froush

Established Member
you will need a gt brake booster, gt brake pedal/clutch pedal assembly, power steering lines, radiator, radiator overflow tank, ecu, engine harness (will need extended in certain spots to work with 4v), gauge cluster. The fuel pump for a v6 is the same for the gt. I would suggest getting a stryker 340 or kurgan 340 and drop it in. The dash harness is the same between gt and v6. Dont mess with it. k members are the same also. Im sure someone will tell you otherwise. you will need a driveshaft also. I would recommend getting a new rear end. Oh yeah, you will need new clutch and throttle cables. Im sure i missed something. Its been a while since ive done the swap. Its much easier if you have a whole donor car to pull stuff from. and all those parts are gonna nickel and dime you

froush

Established Member
go to moddedmustangs and search for "infamous v8 swap". I have everything listed over there. if you are wondering why the brake booster.....its physically impossible to fit a 4.6 in the engine bay with the giant v6 brake booster

Spatt279

Established Member
Wow I read your thread originally about a couple months ago and it what convinced me to do it! Trust me I have read your thread at least 10 times! I appreciate your help. I know the basics from your thread, but there were some specific questions I had for you or anyone? CCRM what do I do with that, fuse blocks? Finally power steering and AC can my Ac compressor and the steering pump bolt right up to the 4v or will I need to change it? Could i use the ones off the 4v?

froush

Established Member
Just use the ccrm thats attached to the gt ecu wiring harness. Fuse block doesnt need touched. Steering will bolt right up. Not sure about ac. I deleted mine

Spatt279

Established Member
So went to a junk yard today looking for a V8 car for all my miscellaneous parts. They wouldn't let me take the whole car I found, but they would give the front clip for 1500 minus engine... Needless to say the search for donor continues.

yllrgt

Thanks for all the advice really appreciate. I should have mentioned I have an MMR front tubular k and coil over kit in the mail! I don't have to worry about the legal stuff as far as I know because I am in Canada! I will call up the insurance see what they say if not guess its time to look for a new insurance provider! For the motor for now nothing I have a couple leads on sub 25XXX Km cars so there in good shape. In the future debating on forged bottom end and some boost but who isn't.

It's not legal to install an engine older than the chassis in Ontario , you'd never pass your next emissions testing and would have trouble ever reselling the car . If you really want a 4v then i'd sell the v6 car and pick up an 96-98 GT for the swap or possibly an sn95 Cobra . Save you a lot of hassle .
FI on a car that wasn't FI from the factory would also cause issues with most Ontario insurers , probably uninsurable .

Last edited:

Spatt279

Established Member
Still waiting to here from my insurance provider. id like to know where you are getting your information maybe i need new sources. According to the drive clean facility I went to to have it tested for this year. They said it of course would not pass as a standard vehicle. It would become a "hot rod" and have to meet the standard of the motor that was installed in it as if it were the same car it came out of ie mark 8. Selling the car is not an option because the sentimental value of it.

yllrgt

That would mean having fully funtioning imrc's which would require something like a window switch because the GT ecu won't control them . Are you sure you explained that the donor engine was older than the chassis because most 'hot rods' have much newer engine transplants .

Users who are viewing this thread