Man Cave Needs a TV HELP (LED VS LCD VS Plasma TV's)

giz93cobra

AllWayz Sidewayz
Established Member
I'm looking at getting a new tv this winter and I don't know anything about the LED TV. I have a 37" (LN37B650) Samsung LCD in my family room and I love it but I need a new 42"- 46" TV for the Man Cave. I've been reading that Plasma TVs are better in larger sizes, But are LED's even better and are they worth the price??:??:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
My parents have two panasonic plasmas and they are among the best pictures I've seen. One is even 4-5 years old and its still got an amazing picture.

Where do you live in Waldorf?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a 50" Samsung plasma 720p not too long ago. I'm not a huge home theater junkie, but it looks great to me. Super sharp picture with HD programming and movies look great. It has great colors, not washed out at all. I think I only paid $700 for the TV, the wall mount and cables were extra, but it's great for me. The LCD's I looked at in store that compared to the picture quality were almost double the price.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
BTW... LED is still an LCD tv. It's just a different way of backlighting. Pretty much a marketing gimmick to get people to think it's a "new" technology.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Right now all the places are selling there plasmas cheap cheap cheap like 52" 1080 for like 900 or so,

I personally would get an lcd ive had a rca 37 inch for almost 4 years now and im still very happy with it.

my folks have a 42" plasma that is starting to get funny lines in it, like dark/hazy spots
So they just bought a 240hz 52" lcd samsung and omg i watched the new transformers on it in blue ray and it looked so real it looked fake! They got it on sale at sears for like 1700 great deal on an awesome tv

http://ledtele.co.uk/ledvslcd.html <--- explains the led lcd thing

Last edited:

giz93cobra

AllWayz Sidewayz
Established Member
Thanks guys, I think Im gonna go with a 46" Panasonic Plasma.. They seem to be #1 in the Plasma market, Samsung has the #1 spot in the LCD Market. We'll see what happens with the LED tv's but like you guys said it seems like a gimmick with good intentions...:beer:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Thanks guys, I think Im gonna go with a 46" Panasonic Plasma.. They seem to be #1 in the Plasma market, Samsung has the #1 spot in the LCD Market. We'll see what happens with the LED tv's but like you guys said it seems like a gimmick with good intentions...:beer:

You won't be disappointed with the Panasonic. They make the best plasma sets now that Pioneer no longer makes them. They were catching up to Pioneer anyways. Get a G10 or V10 model if you can, but the others are good too.

The LED LCD tv's aren't just gimmicks. The LED back lighting is a huge step forward for LCD's. The side lit LED's are "ok", but the full array back lit LCD's are very very good. I think they're still a little behind a good plasma set though.

panasonic plasma. i recently bought a 50" g10 and it is phenomenal...

I recently bought a 42" G10 for the bedroom and like you said, phenomenal.

The LED TV's that are out now aren't even true LED TV's they only have LED around the edges... and the rest is regular LCD... TV's that are 100% LED are a ways away.

That's incorrect. They do have full array back lit LED LCD's available, but they aren't as common as the side lit models. The LED's that are advertised as "super thin" models are usually the side lit models.

The advantage to the full array back lit LED sets is what they call "local dimming." They can dim (or completely shut off) the individual LED's in darker scenes and keep the LED's lit in brighter areas on the same scene. This increases the contrast ratio, darkness, and shadow detail without dimming the entire picture. Some sets already have this available but they're not cheap.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
It is , ya retard!
LED BULBS! :banana:

GO look at a Samsung LCD VS LED LED blows it away

He's actually right. LED and LCD use mainly the same technology...its just a different backlighting system. So technically...your both a little right.

BigSweezey

&lt;insert witty title here&gt;
Established Member
The LED LCD's I've seen look better than normal LCD's, but not worth the price right now. I'd like to pick one up and hope the price comes down some by next year when I get back.
Plasma's are suppose to be a better picture, I'm just not a fan of the glassy reflection that comes with it.

mcdover

Established Member
I looked at a LED in Best Buy and it blew away every other tv in the place, plus it was extremely thin.

Users who are viewing this thread