making some changes

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
been neglecting the cobra for over a year. I found my small IRS leak, had finally accumulated enough on the trash can lid that was under neath it during storage that driving it was not an option....

Swapped out the leaking OEM IRS cover for the FMS unit. Since I had the car up a couple feet off the ground, I decided to polish the Magnaflow catback exhaust, detail the under carriage, and Plasti-dipped the OEM rims matte black. I was getting excited to drive it again, but decided to push on and finally install some mods that were collecting dust and to make a few changes.

Currently working on relocating the intercooler tank to a battery location tank, installing a inline filler neck w/recovery can. My intention is to help airflow to the heat extractor vents on the hood by eliminating the coolant tanks above the radiator that were blocking the path.... Possibly thinking of removing my KC bypass valve, and AFCO DP HE, to eliminate extra plumbing and remove airflow obstruction to the condensor/radiator. The filler neck took some searching:read:, but I believe I found an OEM inline filler neck that will not require cutting the cross-over tube, and will resemble OEM look. I will work on posting some pictures soon.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
pic update

got some work done this weekend, really opened up the path to heat extractor vents. also the filler neck is highest point of the engine now, it will be easy to burp in the future.

before pic:

before.JPG

after pic:

filler neck big view.JPG

moroso recovery/expansion tank relocated to front of radiator

moroso recovery tank.JPG

mounted oil catch can, easy access to drain oil.

oil catch can.JPG

close up of inline coolant filler neck ( 1 1/2" off of 2013-14 Scion FRs ) this inline filler didnt require cutting existing cross over pipe. The Scion FRs cap came with 16lb radiator cap, same as Cobra OEM.

filler neck 4.JPG

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice mods, but I couldn't help but notice that your goal was to remove/reduce airflow restrictions. So I'm not sure I would have put the Moroso recovery/expansion tank in front of the radiator. IMO anything placed in front of the radiator equals a restriction which can hurt cooling capacity. I do understand why you did it, though.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I did hesitate putting it there for that reason... but I couldn't find a location I wanted it in the engine bay. The fender was an option, but wanted easy access to it for maintenance. hopefully the pros out way the cons

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
received some presents from UPS, a trunk mounted IC tank, and 50ft 3/4" heater hose.... I plan to route 3/4 lines through the side skirts & then follow the subframe up to the gas tank filler tube area. Using a Moroso trunk mounted IC tank in the rear, didnt want to relocate the battery and deal with venting & remote shutoff. Going to move the my Jabsco IC pump to the rear and mount under the car either in the gas filler tube area or rear of gas tank. I'm thinking I may keep my HE & bypass setup...still debating

MG0h3

Established Member
Just FYI, I was just reading a thread where someone moved the IC tank to the truck and the killer chiller was very ineffective. Not sure if he found that it was the extra volume of fluid, lack of flow, or extra surface area with all the lines adding heat.

I believe it was Laurei or something like that.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
also thinking of installing a larger air deflector dam under the radiator area, my brother-in-law has an IROC-Z its a common cause of their overheating when they get torn off from their low stance... our air dam is about 2 1/2", I've seen a lot of custom ones ranging up to 5" in depth.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
the volume will increase from the lines substantially, but I'm using a Moroso battery location tank for the rear, it appears to be close to the same volume has my previous underhood tank.... I could see if the volume was to much, the KC would have to much coolant to try and keep cool, such as a spare tire tank that many use in the rear.

hence the reason I might possibly remove my bypass and Afco DP HE.... removing my HE might almost offset additional coolant of the lines.

Last edited:

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
about done with the plumbing & mounting of IC tank in trunk, was able to bring lines up through gas filler tube rubber flange. I'm mounting the tank so as the drain valve is lined up with the OEM floor grommet near gas flange, used 5/16" line IIRC, feeds down through frame rail, and wrapped around to rear bumper. just need to fire up the pump and see what kind of flow I get.... not many splices or sharp turns, was able to keep a pretty good radius bends on all the lines, I suspect flow might be a lot better without the bypass plumbing with 90* turns and the Heat Exchanger no longer in the system. I need to fabricate a new piece of carpet to go around the IC tank, its mounted where most mount the battery for relocate.

I though 50ft of 3/4" heater hose would be plenty for this project.... I had about 1 1/2ft left:lol1:

Last edited:

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I wanted to limit the amount of drilling into the trunk for my Moroso battery IC tank install. I used an aluminum mounting plate attached to car floor via Heavy Duty 3M reusable scotch velcro strips, reused grommet hole for drain, and have both IC tank lines entering via the gas tank rubber grommet.

Decided to have the pump outside the trunk for a couple reasons, 1st easier gravity feed to the IC pump, and limit pump noise possibly in the cabin. PITA drilling into the rear bumper to mount the Jabsco :bash:

Just need to insulate lines, and see what temps the KC gets her down to.

moroso IC tank.jpg

IC pump.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread