Making custom lower pulley.

j-tan

Established Member
Hey guys I work at a machine shop and I'm going to make a lower pulley to up the boost. I was wondering what size to make the pulley to get 4 pounds? The reason I'm making one like stock is because I want to keep the stock lower cage. Should I make it out of steel or aluminum?

j-tan

Established Member
Oh cool,thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was planning to make. I guess I'll design it so it has interchangeable rings so I don't have to pull the cage off to change the sizes.

rudycobra

Established Member
Oh cool,thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was planning to make. I guess I'll design it so it has interchangeable rings so I don't have to pull the cage off to change the sizes.

If u do and wanted to sell them there would b a ton of people interested !

j-tan

Established Member
I know people would like data if I do decide to sell them. What kind of testing should I do?

cbr repsol

Established Member
If u do and wanted to sell them there would b a ton of people interested !
this
I know people would like data if I do decide to sell them. What kind of testing should I do?

i suggest getting a couple made and putting one on your car and another persons car for testing. Make sure it doesnt wobble or anything not normal. Also try to keep the cost down as much as possible so whichever material is on hand for a good price.

rudycobra

Established Member
Get in touch with ws6jjp he may help lead u in right direction . He's the starter of the other thread and they talked about doin another run but don't look like they are .

j-tan

Established Member
I'm going with 4130 steel and then heat treating it so it has the strength and will keep cost down.
Im keeping everthing in spec so I shouldn't have wobble issues. The only thing changing is the OD of the pulley. I make aerospace parts so I'm very anal about tolerance.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Even if you make the pulleys interchangeable you will still need to unbolt the cage, no way around that. I would also recommend making the pulley itself from aluminum to keep the centrifugal weight down as low as possible. INMO it is not worth the effort for a 1 off part. Best of luck if you choose to go forward with it, though.:beer:

j-tan

Established Member
Even if you make the pulleys interchangeable you will still need to unbolt the cage, no way around that. I would also recommend making the pulley itself from aluminum to keep the centrifugal weight down as low as possible. INMO it is not worth the effort for a 1 off part. Best of luck if you choose to go forward with it, though.:beer:

Well the thing is I'm the Forman at my work place and the only cost would be material and my labor is free so there won't be any overhead. I'll look into aluminum to see what grade I should get.

black 10th vert

Established Member
6061-T6 should be perfect for the pulley ring, especially if you send it out for hard anodize after it's finished.;-) Another suggestion would be to buy a spare caged lower to disassemble rather than use your own. You could even buy one that has worn out rubber bushings, or something cheap like that, since you will be re-working it anyway, and then you will have the hub, and cage to use for your project.;-)

j-tan

Established Member
My buddy is going turbo on his cobra. So I'm picking up his lower with cage. Hopefully it will work. I'll try it with different materials and see what works best.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
+2 on making the pulley out of aluminum. Like Black 10th Vert said try keeping the centrifugal weight down.

Users who are viewing this thread