Making a 4 prong to 3 prong Generator adapter

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
So I’m looking for a little help. I purchased a generator from a buddy, mainly to use on our camper if we ever decide to go to a place that doesn’t offer power. Our camper has the standard 30a plug on the end. It has roughly 40’ of power cord. The generator has a 4 prong twist lock plug on it 120/240. I am needing to make a 4 prong to 3 prong adapter. I already have the adapters, but want to make sure I’m going to wire it correctly. Obviously the 4 prongs are 2 hots (X and Y) a neutral, and a ground. I have a piece of #10 SO cord that is 3 wire. A black, white, ground. Does it matter on the 4 wire plug which hot side I use? I realize they make premade dogbone style adapters like I’m needing, but since I already have all the stuff, just figured I’d make my own. I am including a picture of what the generator plug looks like, and then the 120v 30a plug that our trailer would plug into typically. Thanks in advance for the help/direction.

Generator Plug.jpeg
Trailer Plug.png

Last edited:

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
X should be black if you maintain polarity. Put it on Y if you are a line stepper

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

08mojo

Established Member
edit: read your post again...just buy the adapter and don't forget to use the svtp link!

common adapter, just search for a rv camper 30 amp to generator adapter

T56LS102

Established Member
It looks like your generator has a NEMA L14-30R plug, I would need to know what make and model generator you have to know if it has a floating neutral or not, if it is a floating neutral you would just use two hot leads (L1 & L2) and the neutral, if the neutral is bonded to ground the use L1, L2 & ground.

oorrrr, just buy an adapter L14-30R to TT-30 :)

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
It looks like your generator has a NEMA L14-30R plug, I would need to know what make and model generator you have to know if it has a floating neutral or not, if it is a floating neutral you would just use two hot leads (L1 & L2) and the neutral, if the neutral is bonded to ground the use L1, L2 & ground.

oorrrr, just buy an adapter L14-30R to TT-30 :)

Correct, he has an L14-30R RECEPTACLE, not plug (plugs are male).

Like said, buy an adapter. Or, cut your male PLUG off and install a 4 wire T.L. plug on your 10/3 cable, to mate the current 4w generator recept.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
The Generator is a Briggs and Straton. I don't have the model number handy unfortunately. Its got 8250 starting watts, 5500 continuous. Like I say, I could easy buy the adapter, but I already have the female cord end that fits our trailer male, and I have a L14-30 male for the other end of the #10 SO cord. So I basically have everything I need to wire a cord/adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread