Major problem. Need some help quick!

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Hey guys.
I've big problem. The other day I installed a 4lb lower. I already had on a 2.76 and stage IV.
At the same time I installed a Raptor Shift light. The car has really been down on power and was confirmed yesterday at a dyno day. No sensors were hooked up but I knew my worries were confirmed when the car was down 80hp from before with the 2.76 upper and stage IV.
I only did one pull and drove home and pulled my plugs. I had stuck 2 new plugs in the car and one of the new plugs was like brand new. You could tell no fuel had been burned at all in that cylinder.
I then figured that I may have pulled to hard on the PCM when installing the shift light and pulled one of the coil wires and possibly 2 just far enough that it is not making contact inside the connector anymore.
I'm going to go outside, pull my fuel pump fuses, put the plugs back in and test which coil is not getting voltage.
My main question is how can I fix this and should I take it to ford?
Anyone else ever ran into this or know of someone?
Wiring always worries me and when installing that damn light I should have known better.
ANyways sorry for the long thread but I really need some help quick.
Thanks,
RYAN.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
No not yet. I tried testing out the coils but they all seem to get voltage. I am also thinking that it may be an injector. I'm going to take the car to the local SVT dealer and see what they come up with when they hook their crap up to it.
This is really upsetting me but it comes with the territory of modifying cars. I'm definately used to it after the last car I built.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Dude I would rip the car apart head to toe before giving it to Ford.
Just go back in there and re-trace your steps.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Do you have a miss? If it's a coil, it should throw a code for that cylinder shouldn't it?

Start with the basics first. Pull the plugs and take a compression test.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great advice! I would certainly do this and try to troubleshoot it myself before trusting the car to a dealer.

03yellow

Established Member
I have one Ford shop I used for rear end work and another for the clutch; both shops have mustangs guys(they both own fox bodys) who help me out on labor and parts.

I know who does the work at these dealerships...and they do a great job .

I dont always think its a bad idea to take things to Ford ....and this time may be one of them....A quick hookup and the data is spit out of a diagnostic machine. It may spot your prob. for $60......money well spent.

I had a bad vib and could not find it I tried everything including rotating the drive shaft.
Ford finally hooked it up to a vibe machine and it spotted my drive shaft. No charge!!! Free car rental!!!
I put in the New shaft...no vibe!!!

It might not be a bad ideal and let them hook it up.

Last edited:

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
I think I found what part of the problem may be. When I hooked up my Raptor Shift light I only unhooked the negative terminal. While hooking the shift light up I had to disconnect the PCM. I know this is retarded and i've already beat myself up over it.
I think this may have caused part of it. I went and took everything back apart down there and checked all the pins, they all looked fine. Then I put the original backup tune back in the car and erased the tune from the predator. I'm going to reload the tune from Scott back in the predator and then see what happens.
Thanks for the input guys.
I've been alone in the garage quite a bit lately getting very frustrated. I'm going to purchase a wideband right away and then do some serious datalogging when this damn snow clears.....yup I said it SNOW.

04torchred

Established Member
Special Blend said:
I think I found what part of the problem may be. When I hooked up my Raptor Shift light I only unhooked the negative terminal. While hooking the shift light up I had to disconnect the PCM. I know this is retarded and i've already beat myself up over it.
I think this may have caused part of it. I went and took everything back apart down there and checked all the pins, they all looked fine. Then I put the original backup tune back in the car and erased the tune from the predator. I'm going to reload the tune from Scott back in the predator and then see what happens.
Thanks for the input guys.
I've been alone in the garage quite a bit lately getting very frustrated. I'm going to purchase a wideband right away and then do some serious datalogging when this damn snow clears.....yup I said it SNOW.

Sorry Ryan I have been pretty busy with school or I would have been over to give you a hand. After my midterm Friday I can give you a hand. I hear you on the snow, damn it is starting early this year.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Well I did a compression test. Numbers are a little low but within reason of each other. Probably operator error.
Anyways
Driver Passenger
140 160
140 160
140 145
155 160
Test was done after I let her warm up 20 mins. I then pulled all of the plugs, coils and the intake and cranked it with the throttle wide open.
I haven't tried any oil in any of the cylinders yet.
Any input?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Well, that's definitely not your miss. But it is an interesting set of numbers. Even though those compression numbers aren't your miss, I wouldn't be happy with them either. That's well over the 10% difference range I would call normal. If it were me, I think I'd find a performance shop and have the motor leaked just for grins and giggles. I'd like to know where it's going. But again that isn't your miss.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Ya I am going to talk with a local mustang mechanic today. Hopefully if he does a leakdown it doesn't come back to shitty....lol.
All he works on is mustangs and has a really good reputation so i'm going to give him a try.

Users who are viewing this thread