Magnaflow Catback Installation

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I know, another stupid exhaust question..
Well, ordered the Magnaflow Catback today and I have seen a variety of responses on the installation.
Is it as easy as it seems? I can turn a wrench and have access to a lift, should be easy right? :shrug: Whats up with these guys saying they had to go to a professional shop?
Is this something I can do on my own with tools and a clue???
Sorry for another exhaust question, and if you have the magnaflow installed with the stock h-pipe, how does it sound..
Thanks for the replies in advance..
Ken

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
I installed a Magnaflow catted-X pipe, and a Magnaflow cat-back by myself on jackstands in my garage. It was not bad. The x-pipe was the hardest part for me. I had trouble getting the passenger side to align with the manifold. So, I then I did the passenger side first and when I tried to align the drivers side I had trouble with it. I don't know what I finally did, but they both eventually when together with no problem. I would say do it yourself. Just my $.02!!!

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
You will enjoy it more when you have completed it yourself. It is very straightforward I doubt you will run into anything you could not solve. Best of luck.

:beer:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Thanks, I got it from full line exhaust and they said guys are dropping them in within the hour..that would be nice.
It looks to be completely bolt on, no welding at all, right??
I plan on doing it myself...How does it sound:shrug:
Anybody with stock H-pipe and just the catback???

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
It is completely bolt-on. I have a catted X-pipe, and I love the sound.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
It is a bolt on, but I do not think you could do it in 1 hours time by yourself on jackstands. The main problem it aligning all the peices up while gravity is working agaist you. I comes in 4 pieces each side and I would bet you have to go back and loosen a few bolts back out to make a few adjustments. I tried to do it myself, but couldn't get the header bolts off. After watching the system get installed, I was glad I spent the $100 to get it done. Not impossible to do by yourself if you have more patience than me.

hoofbeat

Established Member
:beer: i installed just the catback on my car ,very easy install if you have a lift available. the only part a little tough was getting the rear hanger in the rubber gromment. imo it sounds great soft rumble at idle gets louder as you stomp on the happy pedal.,

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Go for it yourself. It takes longer to jack the car up than to change the catback system. There are only four bolts to take off to get the stock cat back system off. The install took less time than lining up the tips at the bumper openings. Juggling the 3 pieces on each side, not counting the tips, is a little awkward, but very doable. I did mine on jack stands on the garage floor, and used an air wrench, and spent about 45 minutes total.

I haven't changed the X-Pipe yet, although I have had it off for other reasons, and that is more of a job, but still not bad and doable in the garage on stands. Probably about an hour, once the car is up in the air, if I remember right. Finding the right combination of extensions and sockets the first time you do it is a pain.
Right now I have only the MagnaFlow cat back system, and I like how it sounds. Not too noisy at idle, but open it up and look out!!!
Dana

finally

Established Member
Dana is right, it takes longer to get the car up on jacks than it does to change the cat-back. My son helped me and we had the cat-back on in less than an hour, having never done it before. My son is 14 and barely knows what a socket wrench is. Now he knows about o2 sensors, swival sockets(after the X-pipe installation) and a host of other things he learned from the install. Have some fun and go under the car, take a look see, and see how fun it is to work on.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
I had mine 90% done but had a problem with the drivers side pipe. I had to take it to a shop to get it bent in order to fit. I think a few others with the earlier 03 systems had the same issue. Otherwise its a piece of cake.

jason

Grumpy

Established Member
It's an easy R & R. Hardest part is getting the support rods through the rubber hangers (read that as tight fit but helps to use a little grease on the support rods).

Take your time; tighten the connections from the front to the rear but leave loose enough to adjust by using hand force until you're satisfied with the alignment. Then tighten from front to rear and double check alignment. After I get the O/R Magnaflow Intermediate X-Pipe on; I plan to have the joints tack-welded to prevent any change in position.

The sound is great; even with the Stock Intermediate H-Pipe. The results are good as far as added power too...see sig.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I pulled this from another thread, any truth in this???

"I don't understand the comments on people running the catback systems with or without baffles. My Magnaflow catback has the baffles installed, welded into the tail pipes. The baffles don't remove and came installed from Magnaflow like this. My Bassani exhaust catback has screws holding the baffles in. The Bassani baffles could be removed. With/without the baffles made a difference in noise. O/R pipes do make a difference in sound, but not significant at idle.

I've got Magnaflow Catback 15644 and it is not loud at all, I'm looking for a alternative. Replace the mufflers or whole system????? "

Does the Magnaflow catback come with baffles, and if so can they be removed? Don't want it to be too quiet..

Thanks for the help..

ALA G8R

Banned
My Magnaflow CB did not come with baffles. I purchased baffles after the fact from Bassani. They definitely help to kill the drone around 2k. They install using a set screw in each exhaust tip.

I have not heard of anyone that has recently purchased Magnaflow CBs that come with baffles. Hope this helps.

Grumpy

Established Member
There were no baffles in the #15644 Cat-back that I purchased in November.

Regarding the sound level; if you want it louder, replace the Magnaflow Mufflers with "Magnapacks".

Orange Poison

Established Member
I don't understand why some people are talking about a 2K drone....my are quiet until I hit the accelerator then they come alive. I definitely wouldn't want to muffle out the sound when that is main reason I got the pipes in the first place....and performance too, of course.

Besides, I heard that the Magnaflow setup was the best system for not having the infamous drone......and people are complaining about it?

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I am hopingyou are right REDHOT, I am looking forward to doing the intall next week and would be very happy if I find the sound I am looking for. I want a nice throaty sound, but not def loud, unless WOT :lol: :lol:
Its funny, and very much a matter of opinion. Within the same thread one guy will say they are TOO quiet, and the nest post is looking for baffles:shrug: GO figure..

I will post my opinions after the install next week.

Any helpful hints prior to heading to the hobby shop?
Silicone spray? I heard worning some of the brackets out of the gromets can be tricky, soapy water????
Any specialty tools I may need to have on hand? Any tricks from those of you who have done the install I need to know..
Thanks in advance...
:beer:

RJTD34

Established Member
Installed Magnaflow Cat back a couple of weeks ago.
Easy installation. If you spray the stock rubber exhaust holders with soap and water, taking off the stock system will be much easier. I also found out the hard way that the the two short pipes that clamp to the front of the mufflers and to the stock system are not identical, although they look similar. Take care to use the right part for the left and right side.
In my opinion, the sound level is about right, not to loud but definitely louder than stock. Can't tell much difference at idle but gets fairly loud on acceleration, but not obnoxious. I almost wish it was a little louder... and I am an old guy!

Good Luck,
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread