MAF Questions

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I've discussed this in previous posts before, but I finally decided I needed to do something about this. My check engine light has been going on for a lean condition on bank 2 ever since I installed the JLT RAI. However from others experiences and from what I have read I am convinced the RAI is not the problem but the C&L MAF is to blame. I am just tired of my check engine light always being on, I mean the car runs fine and pulls harder than ever, but the check engine light is just annoying every time I get it cleared it comes back within days.

So my question is what should I swap the MAF to? I have heard good things about Pro-M, but is there really that much to gain over stock? I am thinking maybe I should just go back ot the stock piece and these problems will go away, but at the same time I'd rather not lose any performance. So what do you guys suggest I do?

Paul

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Just go back to the stock piece IMO. Sell the one you got on there, and get something else to compensate the power your going to lose. What mods do you have now?

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I had a c&l and with the jlt and it would run extremely lean. I went back to stock and the car runs alot better and I haven't had any leans code. Get rid of that c&l maf, they read too lean and cause alot of problems. Thats how aftermarket mafs make power, they make the car run leaner. get a stocker, they flow plenty of air for an n/a car.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Black98COBRA said:
I had a c&l and with the jlt and it would run extremely lean. I went back to stock and the car runs alot better and I haven't had any leans code. Get rid of that c&l maf, they read too lean and cause alot of problems. Thats how aftermarket mafs make power, they make the car run leaner. get a stocker, they flow plenty of air for an n/a car.
Yep, my pro-m had me lean as hell.
Go back to stock or get a tune. They had to richen mine up alot, but the other adjustments to timing and such made up for it. No more CEL and driveability improved. no more stalling issues coming to a stop idles better and I'm still making the same or a little more power.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
EDIT: Intake mods are the JLT RAI, C&L MAF, and some aftermarket single blade Throttle Body. The throttle body and MAF were on the car when I bought it.

Yeah my idle is a little funky at times especially in cold weather. Its definitely the C&L. The light doesn't make me afraid to go WOT with the car as I have been doing, it pulls very hard with no hints of detonation. But I wouldn't be surprised if my plugs were white as hell. I'll be picking up a stock piece for sure, you know how much they go for and where I can get one cheap??

Paul

Last edited:

SVTowner2B

Established Member
I also had the same problem with a C&L, i got a pro-m and it seemed to work fine but in all honesty the car ran no different than when I had the stocker. Go stock and save a few bucks.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:

Exactly, I hate how people think an aftermarket MAF sensor gives u alot more hp because they flow more. Its BS and I think its not right companies miss lead people like that.

TRIPPLEBLACK

Established Member
Yeah i bought a Western motorsports high velocity system and that comes with a 95maf. At first I was pleased but then the driveability problems occured and still occur. Check engine light came on. The car won't keep a steady idle and that sort of stuff. I have replaced my o2 sensors and it still keeps doing the same stuff. According to WMS that high velocity system is to add 28+ hp at the wheels. I don't think it added that much..... But for like $650 i thought it would be worth a shot.

Last edited:

Wall96cobra

Established Member
When my car was N/A I ran the stock MAF that I de-posted, worked great and made decsent power 293rwhp with exhaust,chip,and pullies.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
mustangdan429 said:
i can see how much i can get it for at my work if you would like. it dosent hurt to see and it might be a better deal. just let me know.

Yeah sure that'd be great thanks alot dude.

Paul

fireman2004

Established Member
Does anyone know if a stock cobra MAF is plastic or metal ? my car had a c&l when i bought it so i have no idea? any help is appreciated. Brian

Users who are viewing this thread