MAF keeps fouling?

SVTContique

Anyone know what might be causing my MAF to foul?

I was having issues with my car driving and figured out it was my MAF, couple sprays of contact cleaner and it was fine.

Now it seems to be starting up again, under boost its breaking up, AFR jumps up instantly and then back down...

What could be causing it, at first i thought it was oil from my intake, but there is no way it could go through the supercharger, through my intercooler, and then back into the maf...

Could i be leaking oil in the tube somehow? My BOV is mounted kind of low as well.

SVTContique

Yea but all the way through my supercharger, the piping, the intercooler and to the MAF? i would have had to mega over-oil it.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I have no knowledge of how Prochargers seal, but could the blower itself be leaking oil and need a rebuild?

MLS

Established Member
You are probably pulling oil through the pcv system. My setup did the same thing until I added a catch can.

MLS

Established Member
After the maf on blowthrough? Then you would pressuize the crankcase.

SVTContique

PVC is after the MAF iirc, no catch can, i cant remember what the tube going to my intake tube is from now, ive had oil on my BOV before (which comes after the blower).

Either way i need to figure this out, its making the car undriveable, i can put around but if i go WOT it just goes all over the place and pisses me off.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Yes you can get oil all the way to the maf. I had serious problems with my turbo setup pulling oil right through the pcv. I actually had to pull all the intercooler piping to clean it all out. Now I have an oil seperator on the drivers side and a catch can on the passenger.

MLS

Established Member
Mine has both sides t-ed to a catch can and from there it goes to the intake tube.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
After the maf on blowthrough? Then you would pressuize the crankcase.

are you serious? :dw: why would put air back through the maf that already been metered? pcv, when rerouted to the intake tract should 100% always be after the maf whether stock, draw through, blow through, whatever.

Last edited:

MLS

Established Member
You're really making me wonder lol. Its the way my tuner set it up. The spot on the intake that would normally have a pcv valve runs vac to my bov, while my drivers side valvecover pcv valve has a long hose that t's to the passenger pcv and then to catch can and then to the power pipe. My maf is blow through so it is right before the throttlebody.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Mine goes before the Maf on the passenger side and I'm blow through i don't see how it hurts that air coming out of the valve covers isn't going into the combustion chamber anyways.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Either your maf is worn out and the hot wire is unable to get hot enough to burn off the oil, or you are getting way too much oil mixed in with the air.

Don't forget a maf can just be old and worn out, but usually there is a cause for the oil as well.

SVTContique

Either your maf is worn out and the hot wire is unable to get hot enough to burn off the oil, or you are getting way too much oil mixed in with the air.

Don't forget a maf can just be old and worn out, but usually there is a cause for the oil as well.

Could that explain why my car is awful to drive in the rain (like im talking impossible, any bit of load and it dies)

Users who are viewing this thread